T Nation

Best Way to Regain Weight In 2 Hours

Yes, but for a natural to gain significant amounts of muscle mass, they are also going to going to gain a ton of fat, especially if your bodyweight is already pretty high in comparison to your height. This process can be massively improved with gear.

Case in point: there are a couple of guys at my powerlifting gym who are packed full with the tren, and are beastly strong. Yet, they look like they could step foot on a bodybuilding stage. Never going to happen natty. On the other hand, the dam strong natty guys at my gym who match their strength, all look like they are carrying an extra 30lbs worth of fat they don’t need.

I’m competing in the USAPL. Required total is 625 for 83kg nationals. I haven’t been around powerlifting enough to know if that is considered “good”, but I believe they set the standard based on allowing the top 15% to qualify.

Only if you gain weight too fast. You will gain fat and muscle, but body fat % should ideally stay around the same. If you go from 15% to 25% then you fucked up.

Everything in terms of performance and body composition can be improved with gear so there is no point in even mentioning that.

Yeah, but if they tried to get lean like the tren guys they wouldn’t be as strong, right? So do you want to be strong or do you want to look like a bodybuilder?

That’s a pretty high qualifying standard, 625 at 83kg is 417 Wilks.

The thing is that as more people get into the sport there are more people at an elite level so it kind of confuses things. A couple years ago a 400 raw Wilks was considered “decent”, that was basically the point where you are at an advanced level. The top guys at IPF worlds were mostly in the range of 450-500 Wilks. Now it’s IPF points and what was a world record not long ago might be 5th place, but it’s mostly due to more good lifters competing. Just for a comparison, the US Open (which is fucked up, but anyway) had 525 Wilks as the qualifying standard, and that’s raw with wraps untested, only the best of the best were welcome.

A few years ago USAPL nationals had more than a thousand lifters and the qualifying standards were real low, it looked like a circus too. Maybe they got tired of that.

1 Like

Keep in mind @baumbodies is talking about a 2 lb cut… not 20. Even with a 2 hour weigh in, this shouldn’t affect performance as long as you’re fairly smart about it. Might even help, lots of anecdotal stuff says that a small cut can have a super-compensation effect that will cause your body to retain extra water when rehydrating, giving a nice bloat.

I’m normally in the camp of being conservative with cuts (mainly from seeing my own shit performance when trying to cut too much) but 2 lbs is such a small amount, it would be kind of silly to talk yourself out of not doing it if you’re already leaning in that direction.

My general rule, 5 and 10% of your bodyweight should be the absolute upper limits of a cut for 2 and 24 hour weigh ins, respectively. The closer you are to that limit, the more it should be reserved for a more meaningful competition. 2 lbs at 183 lbs BW is like 1.1%. If you were talking about cutting closer to 9 lbs (5%), you better be shooting for a really competitive performance and factoring some amount of strength loss, along with planning to do everything in the cut correctly.

All that said, try not to be married to a single weight class, especially if you’re struggling to keep your weight down. As someone who spent too much time trying to stay in the 220s, I can tell you moving up to 242 has been much, much more fun.

1 Like

That’s true. My main reason for not being into water cuts is that water loading really sucks, it’s not something I would do without a good reason. In my case, I always find that my appetite during the week of the meet is lower than usual since I’m barely training, I have to force myself to eat enough so cutting back on carbs is easy for me to do.

Oh yea I’m sure preference for carb vs water manipulation would vary person to person. I personally kind of like the whole water loading process the week before the meet because it helps me focus on something besides the training I’m not doing.

Self experimentation is probably important if you’re wanting to try messing with weight cuts, that’s how I came to the conclusion that water manipulation works better than carb manipulation for me. We had a little squat comp at my gym a few years ago that I tried out a mock 2-hour weigh in on. Only did water manipulation, dropped 9 lbs to “weigh in” at 221, started squatting 2 ours later and worked up to my first ever 300 kilo squat. On the other hand, times I’ve done carb manipulation to weigh in for meets, even with 24 hour weigh ins an not that much more weight loss, I still felt like my muscles were depleted on comp day, even though scale weight was above my normal “walking around” weight. But again, that’s just my experience so if you want to mess with it you’ll have to go through some trial and error.

2 Likes