Best Way to Improve Work Capacity?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
The bigger question is, why are you doing 3x10? What kind of program is this?

What’s that? You/your buddy/some dipshit trainer made it up? Well then, you should get on a proven program by someone who knows their shit.

But what program? Well, it’s your lucky day. I happen to have a list of programs compiled just for you to look through:

Starting Strength
Texas Method
Madcow Intermediate
5/3/1
Juggernaut method
WS4SB

On a serious note, read those programs, pick one, and perform it exactly as written. It is much better then whatever you are currently doing.[/quote]

Posts like this are very bothersome, especially since I suspect you are actually serious. There are so many programs out there, ones written by the authors on this site even. Just search the archives. And I guarantee 3x10 has been a part of the programming of any successful BBer or PLer who contributes to this site at some point in their training. It’s a completely legit set up and it’s not retarded just because it doesn’t fit into the 3 programs everyone and their mother seems to think everyone and their mother has to be doing just because they did it and saw some results. Those are excellent programs you listed, but that list could be 100 times longer. Don’t be so close minded. It’s also a little bit arrogant to assume it was written by a “dipshit trainer” or whatever just because it doesn’t fit YOUR view of what a good program should be for whatever reason.

P.S. Why don’t you go by KingBeef’s “Do this routine” thread which has helped alot of members on this site and post “What? What is this shit? 4 sets of 8 with last set to failure? 3 sets of 15!!??? That’s not starting strength!” I will enjoy the lulz. [/quote]

I didn’t want to say anything at first, because I know Chris87 is trying to help - but I completely agree with your comments.

On most message boards noobs, such as myself, are often slapped with the “stick to the following proven beginner routines” :

WSSB - T-Nation - 2004
Starting Strength - 1st Edition - 2005
5/3/1 - 1st Edition - 2009
MadCow 5x5 - Geocities - 2009
Juggernaut method - Not sure - but seeing how it influenced by 5/3/1 - I’ll say post-2009

I included the dates these routines were first published. Not one of these routines - which are the most often recommended - are older than 10 years.

So my question is - what do you think beginners were following prior to that when they wanted to increase their strength and “body build”? It’s not as if noobs were following 5-way splits with 35+ sets.

And just to be clear - I’m not saying there is anything wrong with these routines. I’m sure they are perfectly fine - I just think there is room for other no-name brand routines designed for beginners.

I don’t want to sound ungrateful for the advice I’ve received, because it has put me on the correct path - but that’s what I think.

[quote]PressingMatter wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

What’s that? You/your buddy/some dipshit trainer made it up? Well then, you should get on a proven program by someone who knows their shit.

But what program? Well, it’s your lucky day. I happen to have a list of programs compiled just for you to look through:

Starting Strength
Texas Method
Madcow Intermediate
5/3/1
Juggernaut method
WS4SB

On a serious note, read those programs, pick one, and perform it exactly as written. It is much better then whatever you are currently doing.[/quote]

Posts like this are very bothersome, especially since I suspect you are actually serious. There are so many programs out there, ones written by the authors on this site even. Just search the archives. And I guarantee 3x10 has been a part of the programming of any successful BBer or PLer who contributes to this site at some point in their training. It’s a completely legit set up and it’s not retarded just because it doesn’t fit into the 3 programs everyone and their mother seems to think everyone and their mother has to be doing just because they did it and saw some results. Those are excellent programs you listed, but that list could be 100 times longer. Don’t be so close minded. It’s also a little bit arrogant to assume it was written by a “dipshit trainer” or whatever just because it doesn’t fit YOUR view of what a good program should be for whatever reason.

P.S. Why don’t you go by KingBeef’s “Do this routine” thread which has helped alot of members on this site and post “What? What is this shit? 4 sets of 8 with last set to failure? 3 sets of 15!!??? That’s not starting strength!” I will enjoy the lulz. [/quote]

I didn’t want to say anything at first, because I know Chris87 is trying to help - but I completely agree with your comments.

On most message boards noobs, such as myself, are often slapped with the “stick to the following proven beginner routines” :

WSSB - T-Nation - 2004
Juggernaut method - Not sure - but seeing how it influenced by 5/3/1 - I’ll say post-2009

I included the dates these routines were first published. Not one of these routines - which are the most often recommended - are older than 10 years.

So my question is - what do you think beginners were following prior to that when they wanted to increase their strength and “body build”? It’s not as if noobs were following 5-way splits with 35+ sets.

And just to be clear - I’m not saying there is anything wrong with these routines. I’m sure they are perfectly fine - I just think there is room for other no-name brand routines designed for beginners.

I don’t want to sound ungrateful for the advice I’ve received, because it has put me on the correct path - but that’s what I think.[/quote]

You’re overthinking. you’ve been given rocksolid advice, pick a program work the hell out of it for 6 months then report back.

(FYI Starting strength and madcow are derived from 5x5 routines that have been around for 50 years, ws4sb is loosely based on westside templates that were developed 20 years ago, Juggernaut is partially based on Doug Young’s training from the mid 70s)

[quote]PressingMatter wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]Chris87 wrote:

Starting Strength
Texas Method
Madcow Intermediate
5/3/1
Juggernaut method
WS4SB

WSSB - T-Nation - 2004

I don’t want to sound ungrateful for the advice I’ve received, because it has put me on the correct path - but that’s what I think.[/quote]

3x10 is not a routine. 3x10 with your 10 rep max is not only not a routine, but is stupid. You need to pick something tried and true, without complication, in a setup that covers things like exercise selection, progression, and stalling. I don’t think anyone ever said the list was complete and nothing else works.

Pick a solid program and work your ass off. That’s it. It’s the best advice you can get. But you need to get a complete program. It’s obvious, you don’t really know about most of the stuff I mentioned. Which is why the ones mentioned would work much better than what you are doing now. Most aren’t “beginner” routines either which makes me think you don’t even know what some of them are.

But, I’m sure you know better, with your amazing bench press, I should be asking your advice. Ironically, those new programs that haven’t been around long have still been in the iron game longer than you, and will probably be around long after you quit.

@RampantBadger @DoubleDuce - thanks gain for the comments. I’m definitely listening.