T Nation

Best Way to Do Bodyweight Training?

How do I do a bodyweight routine. I was at my physiotherapist because i was noticing i had a lot of lumbar pain. She said not to do any barbell or heavy lifting until we do something to my hips to make them even. she said bodyweight stuff is fine and so is lat pulldowns. I’m not sure where I should go from here because I was pretty consistent following this. https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/tried-and-true-bodybuilding-program-template

It wasn’t quite clear as to which exercises would be okay to do. I get a lot of conflicting advice for what my workout log should look like. People often tell me because I have such little muscle mass i should squat heavy and dead lift heavy. Yet others tell me I should do all compound movements very light until I get the form completely perfect. When i saw my physio she said not to do anything like deadlifts and squats or heavylifting at all, this has left me wondering about rows, good mornings and bench press. I feel lost and discouraged from even driving to my gym.

I’m curious to know what everyone else started with. I would say I’m weak compared to most men my size. I’m5 '11 150 lbs I can do around 35 pushups, 6 pullups and squat a few dozen times. Is this too weak to be lifting weights?

Chad Waterbury’s PLP routine would be good for you.

I haven’t been able to train my left leg since December 20th. Check out my log if you’re curious.

Machines are great when you’re injured.

It’s not fun or popular but you can do leg extensions and leg curls. Just don’t use too much weight and start cheating the form. You can also do hip extension (for glutes), hip abduction and adduction. I attach a cable to my ankle or use a 4 way hip machine (if I’m lucky enough to be at a gym that has one).

For upper body I prefer chest supported stuff for rowing. I think you can bench however you want but don’t arch or use any leg drive.

My biggest recommendation is that you contact your physio again and ask if this stuff is OK.

Form first. Bad form will haunt you all of your life.
You don’t have to be perfect but you need to be good on everything.