T Nation

Best Vertical Jump Program?

Which method would work better for improving ones vertical leap: DB hammers or a Westside template that you designed specifically for vertical? Also I don’t really understand DB methods, can someone help explain it to me? Perhaps show me a sample week? I’ve seen his site but dont get it.
thanx hit me up with some feed back.

Try Ian King’s program “White Men Can Jump” or go over to Joe DeFranco’s site and follow his six-week vertical jump program listed in his Q&A section.

There are a few threads on the internet where athletes have posted a few months of workouts using DB’s system to improve vertical jump, along with video of their progressions.

I’d start there if I were you. Where else are you going to find the program layout that produced those kind of results with video documentary(I know one kid has virtually self-trained himself using DB’s “complicated” system to up his vertical 25cm or so within a few months)?

Peace,
Brad

nuttail,
i have a question. if one performs sprints and plays flag football(about as high of neuro rate and magnitude exercises as a person can do) is there really a purpose for such a high focus on special exercises for neuro rate and magnitude development? I am still in agreement of using plyo’s, but not to the extent that DB hammer perscribes, and keeping weightroom sessions to development of the opposite end of the spectrum, limit strength/neuro duration work. What are your or DB Hammers thoughts on this.

can u show me some of the threads about the vertical leap and his training

[quote]numba56 wrote:
nuttail,
i have a question. if one performs sprints and plays flag football(about as high of neuro rate and magnitude exercises as a person can do) is there really a purpose for such a high focus on special exercises for neuro rate and magnitude development? I am still in agreement of using plyo’s, but not to the extent that DB hammer perscribes, and keeping weightroom sessions to development of the opposite end of the spectrum, limit strength/neuro duration work. What are your or DB Hammers thoughts on this.[/quote]

Numba,
You don’t mix strength and speed because (1) it’s too difficult to precisely regulate fatigue, (2) combining both in the same training block is like stop and go driving in your car…it’s rough on your engine (an athlete’s engine is his nervous system), (3) it is recommended that you stick to one of three basic templates as you are learning DB’s system: (1) the prep program, (2) the strength program, (3) the power program.

After you’ve prepped your system then you can either go to the strength or power program. Once you can no longer gain results on the program of your choice then you switch over the other one. Once that one begins to fail you then you switch back. After switching back and forth for a while you may find that you can’t gain results in either program…that’s when you go back to the prep program and start the process all over again…OR, you learn more advanced procedures of his system.

Peace,
Brad