T Nation

Best Upper Back Exercises

what exercises work the upper back best? I mean the part right below the neck…kind of above/between the shoulder blades.

hang cleans, power cleans, other oly lifts, face pulls, shrugs, etc.

I guess you are either talking about traps or rear delts.

I would recommend shrug variations (my favorite is just heavy barbell shrugs) and any sort of rowing variation where you pull to your neck.

Duh. Deadlifts.

All the above exercises work them but deadlifts always kick the ass of my rear delts and traps and whole back and posterior chain for that matter :stuck_out_tongue:

Shrugs, rows, and pull ups/pull downs are the three basic moves for back. Pick a variation of each and you are set.

Various cleans, Olympic lifts, and dead lifts are great too but are trickier to learn and harder to fit into a balanced routine.

just make sure you don’t do too much barbell shrugging, it can give you some pretty nasty slouching. i prefer dumbbell shrugs. try only doing one arm at a time. so hold the dumbbell with shrugging arm and with your other hand hold onto the elastic of your shorts (or whatever you’re wearing). fun.

[quote]Son of Man wrote:
just make sure you don’t do too much barbell shrugging, it can give you some pretty nasty slouching. i prefer dumbbell shrugs. try only doing one arm at a time. so hold the dumbbell with shrugging arm and with your other hand hold onto the elastic of your shorts (or whatever you’re wearing). fun.[/quote]

Mate that sounds like a load of hot cock to me. Where do you get your information from because it stinks of bullshit

[quote]Brawan wrote:
Son of Man wrote:
just make sure you don’t do too much barbell shrugging, it can give you some pretty nasty slouching. i prefer dumbbell shrugs. try only doing one arm at a time. so hold the dumbbell with shrugging arm and with your other hand hold onto the elastic of your shorts (or whatever you’re wearing). fun.

Mate that sounds like a load of hot cock to me. Where do you get your information from because it stinks of bullshit
[/quote]

Yeah. Maybe if you did nothing but barbell shrugging and bench press that might happen. But if you are working your back equally hard… no.

Barbell shrugging is great and definitely one of my favorite exercises. I like to go as heavy as I can using double-overhand grip, then switch to mixed grip when my grip starts to give.

Try 20-rep Hise Shrugs. If you don’t know what they are, they’re the calf machine shrug version of the 20-rep super squats.