T Nation

Best Type of Steak?

I’m starting to get to the point where I cannot handle anymore hamburger. I’ve been eating it for every meal and while I have chicken breasts to fall back on I like to eat lots of red meat.

The other day I went to the meat counter and while I got some expensive and tasty looking meat it was loaded with fat. What is everyone’s favorite cut of steak? I would prefer something halfway healthy.

top sirloin

[quote]JNG wrote:
top sirloin[/quote]

RIGHT ON!! I just finished a 14 oz’er 3 minutes ago.

Rib eye.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
Rib eye.
[/quote]

DAMN right if loking for the best tasting. High in fat however. A good measure for lean mass form any animal is look for loin or round in the name ex. sirloin, top loin, eye of round, etc and anything with rib in it will generally be higher in fat.

Phill

[quote]Playboy wrote:
while I got some expensive and tasty looking meat it was loaded with fat. What is everyone’s favorite cut of steak? I would prefer something halfway healthy.[/quote]

and why, pray tell, do you think high fat in a cut of meat makes it unhealthy?

If you want the best tasting, look for cuts that say USDA Prime.

I prefer porterhouse or T-Bone. You get a filet on one side and a sirloin (or NY Strip) on the other side. Porterhouse usually has a larger filet than the T-bone. Grilling with the bone in gives it a better flavor.

It’s not a cheap steak, but damn it’s good.

If your on a budget, just go for the sirloin. Stock up when they go on sale, and freeze what you won’t use in a day or two.

[quote]InCorporeSano wrote:
Playboy wrote:
while I got some expensive and tasty looking meat it was loaded with fat. What is everyone’s favorite cut of steak? I would prefer something halfway healthy.

and why, pray tell, do you think high fat in a cut of meat makes it unhealthy? [/quote]

The stuff I was eating just wasn’t too enjoyable. i figure why eat a meal high in fat that doesn’t even taste that good

Thanks guys here’s what a bought tonight:

2.5 lb boneless round steak
1.6 lb sirloin tip
2.4 lb skinless bonless chicken breast

total = $16.25
2.50/lb cheaper than hamburger!
bling bling

[quote]Playboy wrote:
Thanks guys here’s what a bought tonight:

2.5 lb boneless round steak
1.6 lb sirloin tip
2.4 lb skinless bonless chicken breast

total = $16.25
2.50/lb cheaper than hamburger!
bling bling

[/quote]

MY favorite is Prime Rib.

However, its very expensive, and hard to cook. so I often eat sirloins.

Grilled T-bone.

I work at a grocery store butcher shop and my suggestions are:

  1. Ribeye (yes high fat, but damn tasty)
  2. Tenderloin (damn expensive)
  3. NY Strip
  4. Short Loin (T-Bone/Porterhouse)
  5. Sirloin steak

-Matt

Medium Rare.

Tenderloins are pretty good for a guy ?

good , I just brought home 4 of 'em

[quote]Playboy wrote:
InCorporeSano wrote:
Playboy wrote:
while I got some expensive and tasty looking meat it was loaded with fat. What is everyone’s favorite cut of steak? I would prefer something halfway healthy.

and why, pray tell, do you think high fat in a cut of meat makes it unhealthy?

The stuff I was eating just wasn’t too enjoyable. i figure why eat a meal high in fat that doesn’t even taste that good[/quote]

Well the taste is in how you cook it. You can fuck up a great piece of meat if you don’t know what the fuck you’re doing in the kitchen.

So the question is, how did you cook it?

Are “new york” strips the same thing as
Kansas City strips?

If so, they suck. They are just too thin, and are not tender at all.

anything right from the cow so its still warm

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Are “new york” strips the same thing as
Kansas City strips? [/quote]

Yes. And they can be very tasty, last weekend I had a delicious NY strip au poivre.


I’m not sure what type of cut this was except delicious. Cost me $2.69 and was almost 1 lb after cooking. Very lean and tender.

Note: This is a different steak than the sirlion I commented on earlier.

Here at the grocery stores, we have charcoal and chuck steaks, which cost about the same as ground beef, but are a worse cut then sirloins. I hate charcoal steaks, but chuck steaks are tasty as hell. You might also look into them.