Best Treatments for Prostate Enlargement?

A friend has BPH symptoms of frequent urination and weak stream. Very very annoying. Free T levels normal, estradiol high normal. He hasn’t had good results with several different prostate supplement formulas (saw palmetto, pygeum, etc.).

His doctor prescribed a medication that works on these prostate symptoms by lowering blood pressure. The medication did alleviate the prostate symptoms, but unfortunately, his BP was already low, so he experienced dizziness/lightheadedness.

Any recommendations for prostate enlargement?

Bring estrodial levels down. Has worked wonders for a few I’ve talked to in regard to symptoms you mentioned.

D

Andersons

My father used to swear by the advice of his urologist (whose Chinese roots may have played a role in keeping him open to some traditional medicine): sitting in a bathtub in water as warm/hot as tolerable for 30 minutes a day. In any event my father, despite prostate enlargement, never needed surgery or medication. He did not have the same problems as you describe, but maybe this approach is still worth investigating for your friend.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Bring estrodial levels down. Has worked wonders for a few I’ve talked to in regard to symptoms you mentioned.

D[/quote]

What are they using to bring estradiol down?

Anastrozole (arimidex) will bring estradiol down.
Two schools of thought on BPH.

1. Soaring levels of estradiol are the cause.
  2. Soaring levels of DHT are the cause.

Avodart will inhibit the conversion of T to DHT, theoretically causing a gradual shrinkage.
I opted to go with the DHT inhibitor. So far, no ill effects regarding libido, mood etc.

I should add that I am taking 1.5 milligrams of adex per week as well.

In my opinion, sitting in a bathtub is not going to do the trick.

Please use the ‘search’ for ‘prostrate’. There is a mountain of information here for you.

Definitely estradiol. Taking an aromatase inhibitor (Arimidex) made all the differance in the world for me.

Taking DHT analogs Proviron and Masteron have improved my BPH as well which would be counterintuitive to some people. Their estrogen antagonist properties are most likely responsible for the reduced BPH symptoms, in my case.

I can’t say whether this would help others. General medicine would say Proviron and Masteron would be contraindicated for BPH. I’d definitely go with the Arimidex though.

[quote]philipj wrote:
Please use the ‘search’ for ‘prostrate’. There is a mountain of information here for you.[/quote]

I did. But I didn’t find what I was looking for.

Thanks, all, for the info.

[quote]philipj wrote:
Please use the ‘search’ for ‘prostrate’. There is a mountain of information here for you.[/quote]

If he spells it like you did, if there is a mountain, it’s probably not what he’s looking for.

[chuckle] I did search for the correct spelling.

Though maybe I should have searched the misspelling too!

I find searching the forums pretty frustrating, even when I know a specific thread I’m looking for. But I do always try to look at a few pages of results before I give up and ask.

avoid calcium

The search for “prostate” reveals only many conflicting views…mostly from laymen.
There is no need for self appointed policemen directing people to the search when this is obviously a topic where there is much to be learned.
Any new input should be welcomed.

I have a friend in his 70’s that started on 5mg/day of liquid finasteride due to a PSA of 4.6 and BPH. One month later his PSA was down to 3.7, and his BPH symptoms are much better. Better stream, not as “urgent” either. His doctors refuse to check his E2 levels, so he took it upon himself to get liquid anastrozole to see if that would also help. I haven’t asked him in a couple weeks, if he has noticed more changes because I forgot.
My point is research chems are cheap, and for some with BPH, very effective.

[quote]philipj wrote:

Main Entry: 1pros·trate
Pronunciation: \�?prä-�?str�?t\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English prostrat, from Anglo-French, from Latin prostratus, past participle of prosternere, from pro- before + sternere to spread out, throw down �?? more at strew
Date: 14th century
1: stretched out with face on the ground in adoration or submission; also : lying flat
2: completely overcome and lacking vitality, will, or power to rise
3: trailing on the ground : procumbent
synonyms see prone