T Nation

Best Training Principle You've Used?

Hello everybody,

my name is Adam I am psychologist and personal trainer from Czech Republic. In Czech in fact most of people train just bodybuilding way (classic bb splits, exercises etc.). Right now I am creating project with lot of articles about various kinds of strength training (principles from powerlifting but also weightlifting, gymnastics, yoga, calisthenics, athletics training, crossfit, running and more) that I called in general as Performance training. It includes principles that I learn from best coaches and athletes from listed strength sports and I want to ask all of you here on T-Nation forum (not only powerlifters but there is no general forum where I can put this topic):

WHAT IN YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE WAS MOST STRENGTH/EXPLOSIVNESS/ENDURANCE/TRAINING CAPACITY/STABILITY /MUSCLE MASS CREATING PRINCIPLE YOU EVER USED?

Here is video that I made for purpose of that project showing to Czech fitness industry how can be this principles put together:

DONT GET INJURED

Hmm… What I’ve been implementing lately and seeing great results:
-Am session (on empty stomach with only 10-15g of BCAA, I’m IF’ing… lol sounds funny)
A1) Battle ropes chest pulses x30sec.
A2) Battle ropes reg. pulses x30sec.
A3) sled drag (I do reverse 90 degree duck walk on highest incline really pushing that sheet on the treadmill since I dont have a sled in my gym) x30sec.
A4) Sled push (lean forwad on incline squeezing the ass every step) x30sec.
-3-5 rounds
RESULTS: Fat-loss, conditioning, and enhanced work capacity. It could be considered GPP as well since it’s alot of pumping and eccentric-less, did notice DRAMATIC recovery.

My main Idea behind this workout is some type of eccentric-less conditioning, I don’t really do it till im winded though. Some times i’ll switch to KB swings for leg work, I keep the ropes though since my gym doesnt have one, so everyone just checks me out while I workout :).

I agree with the first poster. The most important rule is don’t get injured. The other two are keep going and don’t stop.

Practice the main lifts often.

this…

For powerlifting - hands down the max effort method.

Just a comment - fantastic video and impressive strength and athleticism!

Are you trying to incorporate them all into one program, or just show them all as a collective resource?

It’s better to start too light and add weight later than start too heavy.

One must have squats at the very core of a program. It is the essential lift. They can be performed in whatever manner best fits the athlete, high volume, explosive, low rep, etc…

Everything works for a short period of time and nothing works forever. This is the only thing that matters.

[quote]fitness4lyfe wrote:
Hmm… What I’ve been implementing lately and seeing great results:
-Am session (on empty stomach with only 10-15g of BCAA, I’m IF’ing… lol sounds funny)
A1) Battle ropes chest pulses x30sec.
A2) Battle ropes reg. pulses x30sec.
A3) sled drag (I do reverse 90 degree duck walk on highest incline really pushing that sheet on the treadmill since I dont have a sled in my gym) x30sec.
A4) Sled push (lean forwad on incline squeezing the ass every step) x30sec.
-3-5 rounds
RESULTS: Fat-loss, conditioning, and enhanced work capacity. It could be considered GPP as well since it’s alot of pumping and eccentric-less, did notice DRAMATIC recovery.

My main Idea behind this workout is some type of eccentric-less conditioning, I don’t really do it till im winded though. Some times i’ll switch to KB swings for leg work, I keep the ropes though since my gym doesnt have one, so everyone just checks me out while I workout :).[/quote]

thanks very much that is perfectly concerete example of what I am looking for. Not just general ideas like dont get injured or start light go heavy. I am interesting about athletes, powerlifters, gymnasts, bodybuilders, the beasts here on forum - methods how you increase size, power, explosivness etc.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:
For powerlifting - hands down the max effort method. [/quote]
can you please be more concrete why?

[quote]HatersGunaHate wrote:
DONT GET INJURED[/quote]
Thanx for apply but I am looking for concrete training methods and principles or trainings, workouts, exercises, progression methods etc…

[quote]kgildner wrote:
Just a comment - fantastic video and impressive strength and athleticism![/quote]

Thank you very much I did my best to create interesting video for common fitness user, by combining different locations and gyms.

[quote]VTTrainer wrote:
Are you trying to incorporate them all into one program, or just show them all as a collective resource?
[/quote]

Show them different approaches.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
It’s better to start too light and add weight later than start too heavy.[/quote]

Thats more kind of basic rules, I am looking for specific examples, but thanx

Here is stuff that works in my own experience:

1. classic benchpress, pushpress, deadlifts and squats in ramping sets scheme (add 5 kg every set until you can perform only 1 solid rep, no grinding)
  • For overall body str., basic muscle development, basic core development
  1. power hang olifts variations: power clean from hang and power snatch from hang and their partial variations: high pulls and low pulls (from blocks or hang and power versions), power shrugs
    -ramping or cluster set
  • For building explosivness, traps and external rotators muscle development and thus balance with internal rotators
  1. basic bodyweight movements: weighted pullups, w. chinups, w. dips, pullups variations (L-sit, wide, close, scalpula, to chest, to chin, to overhead, neutral grip, static holds etc)
  • bodybuilding rep sets scheme 4x8-10 for example and on heavy weighted ramping
    -primary for muscle hypertrophy of upper body and working stability muscles, needed for basic lifts (biceps, lats, traps, etc.)
  1. gymnastics pullup variations on bar/rings(front lever, back lever, muscleup, inverted hang rows, front lever pullups, ice creamers, roll fwd, roll bwd, etc.)
    -creating whole body tension ability
    -biggest neuromuscular activity
    -str. core, lats, biceps in stability manner
    -1-5 reps per sets

2. gymnastics bent arm str. on bar/floor/rings (bent arm planche, pseudo maltese, pseudo iron cross, shoulder stand etc)
    -advance high body tension ability, biggest neuromuscular activity
    -basic tendonds str.
    -1-3 reps per sets

3. gymnastics straight arm str. on bar / floor rings (planches var., maletes, victorian, iron cross, inverted iron cross, handstand, press to handstand, V-sit, L-sit, etc.)
    -biggest body tension ability
    -advanced tendonds str., biggest biceps creator
    -whole body hypetrophy, str, explosivness, stability, coordination, locomotion etc.
    -singles repetitions

4. Crossfit WODs (for example 21-15-9 reps of thruster 40kg + kippin pullups for time) for exhaustion and pain overcoming ability and anaerobic muscle endurance

5. sprints, hill sprints
    -endurance, cardiovascular improvement, anaerobic working capacity

6. basic yoga positions for relaxation, stretching and knowing our own body

7. strongman lifts (axle press, tire flips, superyoke etc.) for higher than basic lifts neuromuscular activity and thus str. and hypertrophy gains

8. bodybuilding isolation ex. and specific gymnastics ex. for prehab, rehab, tendonds str., weighted stretching etc. - cuban presses, external rotations, snatch shrugs, maltese position weighted holds etc.

The word “principle” does not mean what you think it means, OP (and other posters in here).