Best Training Plan/Combination?

I’ve been training in the mornings for a few weeks. Now that I feel more comfortable at that time, it’s time to narrow down my training.

I’ve been doing a strength movement, an explosive movement and some super-sets (and cardio) each day.

My question is this:

-Would it be better to break my 4 days down to have a separate strength day (+cardio), a plyometeric day (+cardio) and a metabolic conditoning (explosvie mvmnt) day?

I can see the pros for each set up:

Separate days: I can focus more on each of the aspects of my training (strength/plyo/explosive/speed)

Combined: I get a mix each day

What are your thoughts?

[quote]B rocK wrote:
I’ve been training in the mornings for a few weeks. Now that I feel more comfortable at that time, it’s time to narrow down my training.

I’ve been doing a strength movement, an explosive movement and some super-sets (and cardio) each day.

My question is this:

-Would it be better to break my 4 days down to have a separate strength day (+cardio), a plyometeric day (+cardio) and a metabolic conditoning (explosvie mvmnt) day?

I can see the pros for each set up:

Separate days: I can focus more on each of the aspects of my training (strength/plyo/explosive/speed)

Combined: I get a mix each day

What are your thoughts?[/quote]

Typically this kind of set up will work only for beginners. After that you work on your weaknesses. If you are weak get strong, problems with conditioning yadda yadda yadda. Also remember that ssc isn’t used all that much in mma other than punching or a quick double, flying knee.

It’s not enough to dedicate full days to plyometrics. There’s nothing wrong with some box jumps, med ball throws, but a full day or really intensive methods seems like overkill imo.

Gonna get flamed for this but…

…ssc? super strength & conditioning?? :slight_smile: haha

[quote]B rocK wrote:

…ssc? super strength & conditioning?? :slight_smile: haha[/quote]
no problem, strength shortening cycle

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
Also remember that ssc isn’t used all that much in mma other than punching or a quick double, flying knee.

[/quote]

huh…

Dude you over complicate things, it’s your second thread already about the same stuff.

Just spend more time on the mat/ring

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
Dude you over complicate things, it’s your second thread already about the same stuff.

Just spend more time on the mat/ring[/quote]

Got to agree.

How long has this dude been doig MMA? Because the only time you should be worrying about this shit is when you’re so proficient at the basics of every discipline that you can fit in two workouts a day that arent skill based.

You ain’t there yet homey.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]B rocK wrote:

…ssc? super strength & conditioning?? :slight_smile: haha[/quote]
no problem, strength shortening cycle[/quote]

Actually it’s “stretch shortening cycle”. It refers to the elastic properties of the connective tissues, which when stretched quickly can act like a rubber band to help you generate force during the concentric portion of an exercise. This combined with exciting the myotatic reflex (the result of the muscle spindles natural tendency to tell the muscle to contract when it is exposed to rapid lengthening) results in a plyometric exercise.

I’d actually disagree that it isn’t used regularly during combat sports. For example, every time you bob and weave under a hook and come back across with a hook of your own, you are supposed to first “load” up the leg you are weaving towards and then powerfully push off that leg and transfer the weight to the other leg. This loading up of the weight and powerfully transferring it through the target and to the other leg is a plyometric action if done quickly/powerfully.

in my opinion, dont touch the weights till you need them. i know this seems pretty old school, but if you are training hard enough in the dojo/gym, you wont want to be lifting with a serious program when you are on the beginner into intermediate path.

you will need to be conditioned enough to spar properly and get the most out of your sessions. you wont learn correctly when youre tired. when you’re conditioned enough you should spend most of your energy learning and perfecting whatever art it is you are learning. once you’re at a decent level, get stronger.

i know weights seems like a good addition to your program,but it wont help at first.
i tried this in my teens and i was burnt out, i lost weight, my training in the weight room was bullshit and i my condition everywhere else suffered.

once you know where your punch, kick, grapple power comes from, you have that mental connection, you feel the mechanics and the flow of things, you will be able to do lifts and understand how to transition the power into technique. at this stage you can take a few weeks and hit the weights hard for growth, while lowering the intensity of your skill work to just maintain your moves

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:

Just spend more time on the mat/ring[/quote]

Got to agree.

How long has this dude been doig MMA? Because the only time you should be worrying about this shit is when you’re so proficient at the basics of every discipline that you can fit in two workouts a day that arent skill based.

You ain’t there yet homey.[/quote]

Yeah I know I’ve got miles and miles ahead of me. And I’m ready to put in the work. I have too much free mental time (sitting on my ass at work) to think and think and overthink things. I’m just going to stick with one thing for the foreseeable future and only make adjustments if my body is telling me such.

In regards to this being my second thread about the same thing…did it double post or something? That happens sometimes on here but I didnt’ see it. Whoops.

It all depends on what type of a fighter you want to be. If fighting is in your blood and forever you will be involved in it one way or another, forever you hold that old school mentality that a man must always be in great physical shape, enough to defend himself and family and do so with ease then you don’t train like an MMA poster child, ie in increments and periods. You don’t have training camps and do 8 week routines.
Training is every single day. Your strength, conditioning, speed, power, and most importantly skills and technique training is every day. You don’t pick one day for this and one day for that. You push your body until it accomodates to true fighter conditioning.

Can you seriously imagine men of old, real warriors and fighters who would fight battles on end, day after day periodising their training into cycles? It’s modern day junk where we overphilosophise on what we should be doing and end up doing nothing really.
Your body becomes it’s function. Great basketballers of yesteryear never practised in cycles or had strategised plans for conditioning and what not. They played their asses off in the street, schools and wherever, every single day and became good at what they did. Nowdays, we have poster kids in the NBA, none will achieve the statuses of the Birds, Jabbars, Magics, Jordans, Olajuwan’s and so on.

Fight train every day, condition every day, be ready every day and supplement with conditioning/strength specifics only when there is a deficiency.

Here’s something from Thibs from awhile back. It’ll give you some good ideas.

Go easy on the plyo, while effective they can get very stressful on the CNS and joints. Also understand that metabolic days and power/strength workouts are both stressful on the nervous system, but for different reasons.

Metabolic work that increases lactate production disrupt the neuromuscular connection at the neuromuscular junction while power/strength training has more of a central impact. But the point is that both are hard on the CNS.

I do not like having more than 3-4 CNS-intensive sessions per week, therefore 3 metabolic days and 3 strength/power days would likely be excessive, especially if you perform MMA on top of that.

A better solution would be to do the metabolic work at the end of the strength/power workouts.

For example:

DAY 1. WHOLE BODY STRENGTH AND POWER
At the end perform metabolic work involving the whole body

DAY 2. Low-intensity auxiliary work (abs, forearms, grip, lower back)

DAY 3. LOWER BODY STRENGTH AND POWER
At the end of the workout perform metabolic work involving the lower body only

DAY 4. UPPER BODY STRENGTH AND POWER
At the end of the workout perform metabolic work for the upper body

Monday: Day 1
Tuesday: Day2
Wednesday: OFF
Thursday: Day 3
Friday: OFF
Saturday: Day 4
Sunday: OFF

fnf, I think that would burn this dude out inside a month if he was doing MMA on top of it. If he’s just lifting that’s one thing, but if he could manage to do ANY program by Thibs while training for MMA, then I’d say he’s not training his skillwork hard enough or long enough.

B Rock, what is your long-term goal? Do you want to compete in the ring at amateur or pro status? Do you prefer to do this for pleasure and want to be the best you can at that level?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
fnf, I think that would burn this dude out inside a month if he was doing MMA on top of it. If he’s just lifting that’s one thing, but if he could manage to do ANY program by Thibs while training for MMA, then I’d say he’s not training his skillwork hard enough or long enough.[/quote]

That’s true. I just box and do muay thai each once a week, which is no where near the skill work volume a dedicated MMA athlete does. But it did give me an idea how to set up my strength training and metabolic work.
Bottom line, skills (said like Tim Hardaway) first!

[quote]humble wrote:
It all depends on what type of a fighter you want to be. If fighting is in your blood and forever you will be involved in it one way or another, forever you hold that old school mentality that a man must always be in great physical shape, enough to defend himself and family and do so with ease then you don’t train like an MMA poster child, ie in increments and periods. You don’t have training camps and do 8 week routines.
Training is every single day. Your strength, conditioning, speed, power, and most importantly skills and technique training is every day. You don’t pick one day for this and one day for that. You push your body until it accomodates to true fighter conditioning.

Can you seriously imagine men of old, real warriors and fighters who would fight battles on end, day after day periodising their training into cycles? It’s modern day junk where we overphilosophise on what we should be doing and end up doing nothing really.
Your body becomes it’s function. Great basketballers of yesteryear never practised in cycles or had strategised plans for conditioning and what not. They played their asses off in the street, schools and wherever, every single day and became good at what they did. Nowdays, we have poster kids in the NBA, none will achieve the statuses of the Birds, Jabbars, Magics, Jordans, Olajuwan’s and so on.

Fight train every day, condition every day, be ready every day and supplement with conditioning/strength specifics only when there is a deficiency.[/quote]

really liked this phrase, did you came it by yourself? very interesting.

[quote]humble wrote:

Fight train every day, condition every day, be ready every day and supplement with conditioning/strength specifics only when there is a deficiency.[/quote]

I totally agree with this.

Do what you’re going to do. If you’re boxing, BOX. If you’re playing basketball, PLAY BASKETBALL. That’s what you need to do. Everything else is secondary and not nearly as important- it could almost be considered luxury.