T Nation

Best Time To Workout?

First off, I’m not real sure where you would post a question like this, so mods pls move it if need be.

With my job and school, I can only workout at either 3pm or 8pm. the 3pm slot would be right after I get home from work. The 8pm would be right before I go to bed at 10. (the workout would last from 8-9)

Which time would be a better time to workout? Also, would it be ok to have my post-workout shake (not Surge, it’s homemade) as my last meal before bed?

Well, if you’re homemade postworkout shake is full of carbs like it should be, I would workout at 3 so you’re not full of carbs before you go to sleep.

[quote]mike88nf wrote:
First off, I’m not real sure where you would post a question like this, so mods pls move it if need be.

With my job and school, I can only workout at either 3pm or 8pm. the 3pm slot would be right after I get home from work. The 8pm would be right before I go to bed at 10. (the workout would last from 8-9)

Which time would be a better time to workout? Also, would it be ok to have my post-workout shake (not Surge, it’s homemade) as my last meal before bed?[/quote]

Workout whatever time is best for you. Don’t even take into consideration your post workout meal/shake. If the rest of your diet and day is in order, this won’t affect anything. Obviously, most would not consider it ideal. But life is funny that way. Working out at 8-9, drinking a few hundred cals right after, and going to bed 10-10:30 is ok.

Help yourself out though. Right before bed eat a cup or so of cottage cheese.

I wouldn’t work out before bedtime. One thing that can affect you is that after a workout your endorphins will keep you in a revved-up state. You might have real trouble falling asleep even though your muscles feel exhausted.

It’s Very individaul.

Find the time that is best for you in terms of actually doing it and performance. may be the butt crack of dawn, the waning hour of the day or anywhere between.

Just what ever feels right and fits your life.

Keep in mind, if someone DOES workout in the evening, shoveling down carbs after is no problem. Unless that person’s on a really carb restricted diet in general.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Well, if you’re homemade postworkout shake is full of carbs like it should be, I would workout at 3 so you’re not full of carbs before you go to sleep.
[/quote]