T Nation

Best Time to Workout?

Is it better to workout early in the day, midday, or at night? Also, is it ok to train twice a day or would it be considered overtraining?

I prefer working out midday, im to tired to workout in the morning. Plus I like getting a few meals in me. Though Im not sure which is “best”, I think its more of a personal preference.

I see no point in training twice a day, getting in 1 workout a day is fine.

Just out of curiosity, how much time do you have on your hands?

2hours after you wake up or 12 hours after you wake up.
Don’t train for first hour or two becouse your spine is full of water and there is bigger risk of injury.

My best workouts have been mid afternoon, or 11pm-1am, usually after I’ve been home relaxing for a few hours. I’ve tried the morning thing and did nothing but embarass myself by how unconditioned my muscles were and weak I was compared to my usual self. However, you got to do what you got to do and if training in the moring is what you need to do, you’ll definetly get used to it.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
I prefer working out midday, im to tired to workout in the morning. Plus I like getting a few meals in me. Though Im not sure which is “best”, I think its more of a personal preference.

I see no point in training twice a day, getting in 1 workout a day is fine.

Just out of curiosity, how much time do you have on your hands?[/quote]

I have tons of time on my hands now and have a very flexible schedule. The apartment I just moved into has a pretty complete 24/7 fitness center and bball court(my cardio) so I can work out whenever I want. I just want to make the most of all this time I have(for now).

The times where you’ll be strongest and get the best workouts will be at 3 hours after waking, and eight hours after that. Google ‘circadian rhythms’ for more.

Training twice a day can have great effects if you have the recovery capacity. Best way to tell? Try it. The generally accepted best method here is to do heavy, low rep movements in the morning and follow up with higher reps on those same movements in the afternoon. If you’re gonna do this, you need to eat BIG. Lots of carbs, lots of everything. And make damn sure you stay well hydrated.

I wish I had that kind of time. I’d love to train twice a day.

Here is a link to an article that talk a bit about timing of your workout.

I love 2-a-days. For real. But I dont lift on both. AM=lift heavy, PM=cardio. I feel bullet proof sometimes.

if i had whatever schedule i wanted i would probably lift after i got 2 meals in me. so whenever i woke up plus about 3 hours.