Best Time to Work Out

When is the best time of the day to work out?

With my work week schdule, the only time I have to work out is early moring (6:00am) or later at night (9:00pm). Is one better that the other??

The best time is when you can get in the gym and have a good workout. As a shift worker my gym time varies from early morning to early evening and I find that as long as I’m psyched up to go, the time doesn’t matter.

Both of those times soud fine. At six in the morning you’ll beat the crowd and have the gym to yourself, except for the seniors that like to get up early. At 9 in the evening everyone has already worked out so you should be in the clear there too. It just matters when you will be more motivated to work out.

It doesn’t really matter, whenever you get in the gym is good enough. In the morning you probably have more energy and beat the crowds, you just have to be a bit more careful on certain exercises, especially those that stress the lower back, so you might need to concentrate on your warmups.

Later in the day you don’t have this worry but you might be tired from work etc. Pick the time that fits your schedule best and make any necessary adjustments to ensure you get the best out of your workouts.

What the others said is good thus far.

Also, I’ll add this:

First thing in the morning

• awesome time for energy systems type work
  • not the ideal time for heavy spinal loading (squats, deads, etc)

I love how i feel after working out in the morning. Yet I hate getting up early to do it.

That whole “do what is hard thing” comes to mind. Perhaps I should start this. Keep in mind though that just because something is hard doesn’t mean that it is going to benefit you. Keep progress first and foremost!

Dan