Best Time to Take Spike Energy Shot?

I do one race per year it is a 2 mile turkey trot on thanksgiving. this year i am trying to get my time down into the 12 min range just missed it by 10 secs last year.

So i bought some Spike Energy Shots to help with my preformance my question is how should i time my pre race meal in relation to taking the energy shot so i get the most bang for my buck out of the energy shot.

I have no experience with Spike specifically… but as far as energy shots and various energy supplements, it seems to take about 10-15 minutes for me before I really notice effects, if consumed on an empty stomach. Absorption rates will be slower if your stomach isn’t empty.

Doing a bit of quick research on caffeine itself, looks it takes 15-45 minutes to reach max levels, and full CNS stimulation occurs in 30-60 minutes. Effects last 3-4 hours in most people.

So, given that, I’d probably take it 45-60 minutes before the race on an empty stomach, or a bit earlier if you’re taking it with food.

[quote]jeep7588 wrote:
I do one race per year it is a 2 mile turkey trot on thanksgiving. this year i am trying to get my time down into the 12 min range just missed it by 10 secs last year.

So i bought some Spike Energy Shots to help with my preformance my question is how should i time my pre race meal in relation to taking the energy shot so i get the most bang for my buck out of the energy shot.[/quote]
For serious athletes, one of the worst things you can do for a race is to try a new supplement or food for the first time the day of the big race. It’s hard to predict how you’ll react - if you’ll get overstimulated and only needed half a Spike, have stomach upset, not time it right due to food intake and end up feeling the effects too late or not at all, etc.

Do a trial run today or tomorrow and have a Spike about an hour after whatever your pre-race meal would be, then head out for an easy run 10 minutes or so later, paying attention to how you feel (digestively, energy wise, everything).

Or since this is just a fun run, forget everything above, have your pre-race meal whenever you usually do, have the Spike 10-20 minutes before the run, and don’t sweat it. :wink:

I have been using Spike for the last week consistently i use 1/2 bottle. have used different energy drinks before this race in past including Spike Shotgun. just trying to see what opinions were on when best to take to see if might be different way of doing it. typically i do take it 1 hour before and eat 2 hrs before, anyways thanks for replys. and for it being just fun i have been top one or 2 for last 4 years staight in my age group so now i am hooked and take it way to seriously lol.