T Nation

Best Time to Take Omega-3?

I read a lot about the benefits about Omega-3. But I want to know what’s the best time to take it to obtain the full benefits of this supplement…

Any time is fine, but it’s likely better absorbed with meals. I also notice less of those gross aftertaste burps if I take it with food :slight_smile:

As it is anti-inflammatory, away from your workouts. If you workout in the morning, take it before bed, and vice versa. On off-days take it before bed as it helps with serotonin signalling.

1 Like

Oh! That’s interesting.

I always liked to take mine before bed. It just felt like they worked better.

As it should then! :slight_smile: personally, I don’t notice. How many grams do you take?

I was taking 5 grams/night.

Haven’t for a while though. May run it past the doc next time, but there’s a recent study that didn’t have much good to say about supplementing with omega 3’s.

So… There’s that. :frowning:

For CV events but there are other claimed benefits, or did I miss a paragraph?

Personally, I try to get fatty fish into my diet 2-3 times per week and if I remember I’ll have 2-3 grams of fish oil on the other days. That’s to say: I don’t care deeply about supplementing with it.

It seems those were poorly defined. Decrease in triglycerides, but overall an increase in atrial fibrillation, by 70%.

“The major adverse effect of concern was atrial fibrillation, which was increased by about 70% with omega-3 CA (HR=1.69; 95% CI, 1.29 to 2.21).”

That’s not good.

I think there’s a higher chance you’ll suffer from nausea, dyspepsia, or fishy burps if you take Omega 3 on an empty stomach.