Best Supplements for Strength?

I want to upgrade my supplements. I been using high grade concentrate from true nutrition. Also their BCAA powder. I’m nearly ready to make a purchase so I’d like to know what i can add be it in quality or another supplement to make the next increase in nutritional aid. I been also taking creatine mono. Plenty of that left. I hope to make a purchase from true nutrition today or tomorrow so any advice and why you are choosing that advise would be helpful.
Thanks.

Advice? Sure, forget True Nutrition (the impertinence!)

Check out this stuff instead:

MAG-10 http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/mag-10
Indigo-3G Indigo-3G® Controls Carbs to Build Muscle – T Nation Biotest
Plazma Plazma™ Brutal Workout Formula for Enhanced Growth & Recovery – T Nation Biotest
Micro PA [available any day now]

This is what I tell people: Stop complaining about being a hard gainer. If you try this stack and still don’t gain appreciable muscle, THEN you can say you?re a hard gainer.

“high grade” and “concentrate” shouldn’t be used in the same sentence when talking about whey proteins. A whey isolate should be used at minimum. Concentrates are the cheapest, least effective protein powder supplements on the market. Don’t be fooled by any advertising that suggests otherwise. The supplements TC mentioned are fantastic, and they’re actually 3 staples of my own supplement regimen (just added indigo a week ago. Plazma is unbeatable.)

If those prices are too steep for you, Biotest’s Metabolic Drive powder is a strong alternative. It’s also sold on this site. I used that for years, and only switched because Plazma and MAG-10 were too good to ignore.

In summary, I would upgrade your supplements rather than add supplements to the list. Creatine and protein supplements are the most useful supplements on the market.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
“high grade” and “concentrate” shouldn’t be used in the same sentence when talking about whey proteins. A whey isolate should be used at minimum. Concentrates are the cheapest, least effective protein powder supplements on the market. Don’t be fooled by any advertising that suggests otherwise. The supplements TC mentioned are fantastic, and they’re actually 3 staples of my own supplement regimen (just added indigo a week ago. Plazma is unbeatable.)

If those prices are too steep for you, Biotest’s Metabolic Drive powder is a strong alternative. It’s also sold on this site. I used that for years, and only switched because Plazma and MAG-10 were too good to ignore.

In summary, I would upgrade your supplements rather than add supplements to the list. Creatine and protein supplements are the most useful supplements on the market. [/quote]

I really think the difference between whey isolate & concentrate is overblown. In fact I would wager concentrate is better for you as it is less processed & is closer to the natural thing (Milk). Having said that, there is plenty of junk on the market, but I would judge the quality of a protein supplement more on the amount of protein per scoop rather than isolate vs concentrate.

I didn’t realize concentrate was that bad.

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:
I didn’t realize concentrate was that bad.[/quote]

It’s not. just because it is the bottom tier of whey proteins doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy it. It’s a good source of protein. Was the guy who finished last in the Olympics a shitty sprinter?

You buy the best protein powder you can afford without it killing your wallet. If it’s concentrate so be it.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:
I didn’t realize concentrate was that bad.[/quote]

It’s not. just because it is the bottom tier of whey proteins doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy it. It’s a good source of protein. Was the guy who finished last in the Olympics a shitty sprinter?

You buy the best protein powder you can afford without it killing your wallet. If it’s concentrate so be it. [/quote]

Did you guys even read the original post? The very first sentence was ‘I want to upgrade my supplements.’ I didn’t say that concentrate was useless, I said it was lower quality and less effective than an isolate. I assumed that if this guy wants to upgrade his supplements, he has the cash to do it.

[quote]B A S T A R D wrote:
In fact I would wager concentrate is better for you as it is less processed & is closer to the natural thing (Milk). Having said that, there is plenty of junk on the market, but I would judge the quality of a protein supplement more on the amount of protein per scoop rather than isolate vs concentrate.[/quote]

By this logic, you should just drink milk because it IS the natural thing. Processing is not always a bad thing. Creatine is another supplement that is better when processed further. Micronized creatine is better than non-micronized. Hell, vodka’s better the more times you distill it. That’s processing.

Your second thought about ‘amount of protein per scoop’ is off base as well, because it doesn’t take into account bio-availability of the protein. Isolate has a higher bio availability, meaning your body will use it better than it will concentrate. It also doesn’t take into account the size of the scoop, which is a bigger problem with your logic. I could make a scoop that’s half the size of the protein jug, that doesn’t mean the protein’s better.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:

[quote]StateOfPsychosis wrote:
I didn’t realize concentrate was that bad.[/quote]

It’s not. just because it is the bottom tier of whey proteins doesn’t mean you shouldn’t buy it. It’s a good source of protein. Was the guy who finished last in the Olympics a shitty sprinter?

You buy the best protein powder you can afford without it killing your wallet. If it’s concentrate so be it. [/quote]

Did you guys even read the original post? The very first sentence was ‘I want to upgrade my supplements.’ I didn’t say that concentrate was useless, I said it was lower quality and less effective than an isolate. I assumed that if this guy wants to upgrade his supplements, he has the cash to do it.[/quote]

I agree with you, but the whey concentrate might still be the best option for him depending on his budget and what he wants to add.

Depends.
MAG-10 could be a good upgrade for your protein powder (incl. post training). You can’t go wrong with TC’s recommendations. Depending on diet, training goals, training program, lifestyle, budget, etc you could benefit from a lot of different compounds.

If your diet sucks maybe Indigo-3G & Flameout would benefit your health.
If you want to lean out maybe some Carbolin 19 or HOT-ROX might give a good nudge in the right direction.
If you’re a bit older Alpha Male could give you a boost.
ZMA & Z-12 for a good nights rest.
etc.

Just have a look in the store. And if you want some specific advice/ opinions, it helps if you can be more specific about your goals, diet, etc.

Beta alanine and Spike both great when your workouts need a boost.

I’m going to go with a protein isolate. Other resources allow me to spend 10 bucks a pound rather then 15 so for the time being I’m going to go with the more affordable. Id like to be on board with TNation and Biotest but I’m not working and i been cutting corners though 2013.
With little change in my position i have to continue to make small choices to get better results.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]B A S T A R D wrote:
In fact I would wager concentrate is better for you as it is less processed & is closer to the natural thing (Milk). Having said that, there is plenty of junk on the market, but I would judge the quality of a protein supplement more on the amount of protein per scoop rather than isolate vs concentrate.[/quote]

By this logic, you should just drink milk because it IS the natural thing. Processing is not always a bad thing. Creatine is another supplement that is better when processed further. Micronized creatine is better than non-micronized. Hell, vodka’s better the more times you distill it. That’s processing.

Your second thought about ‘amount of protein per scoop’ is off base as well, because it doesn’t take into account bio-availability of the protein. Isolate has a higher bio availability, meaning your body will use it better than it will concentrate. It also doesn’t take into account the size of the scoop, which is a bigger problem with your logic. I could make a scoop that’s half the size of the protein jug, that doesn’t mean the protein’s better.[/quote]

A lot of people recommend to just drink milk!
I’ve used protein supplements for over 10 years and I have yet to notice a single difference between isolate or concentrate in terms of muscle gain & recovery besides the massive difference in price.

Most protein supps use a 30g scoop. I’ve used supps that had protein as low as 13g per 30g and as high as 24.8g per 30g. That means the 13g supp has 17g of crap in each scoop that I don’t need. To me that’s a bad product full of filler.
I judge protein on:

  1. Should be whey, not soy.
  2. Protein per scoop.
  3. Price.

“Isolate has a higher bio availability, meaning your body will use it better than it will concentrate”
Research says otherwise. The processing involved to obtain isolate ironically makes it more difficult to absorb:
"Although the concentration of
protein in this form of whey protein is the highest, it
often contain proteins that have become denatured
due to the manufacturing process. The denaturation
of proteins involves breaking down their structure
and losing peptide bonds and reducing the
effectiveness of the protein. " (©Journal of Sports Science and Medicine (2004) 3, 118-130).

I would not say that it is very good for strength but for energy is very good-caffeine.
And it is very cheap. Also I’m interested in the opinions of those who have taken on arginine and taurine, some say they are not bad.