T Nation

Best Supplements For Mass/Strength?

Hi, I have read through the forums searching for answers but I keep getting confilcting arguements. My question is what would be the best supplement for me to take now. I am 19yrs., 6ft tall, 170lbs, with very low body fat, and I work out 5 days a week. I am trying to but on more lean muscle mass and increase my strength as well. Right now I am taking the new Animal M Stak, whey protein, glutamine. In the past I have taken NO Explode, Creatine, and the old Animal M Stak. None of those did a whole lot except for the M Stak which did help some. I have contemplated taking test. busters like Alpha Male or REV-Z but I have read that I should not take test boosters at my age, I have also looked at IDS Mass Tabs but I have heard they are bad for you. So please help me out and just give me a few ideas of what would be good to take to achieve my goal.

[quote]syizzle26 wrote:
Hi, I have read through the forums searching for answers but I keep getting confilcting arguements. My question is what would be the best supplement for me to take now. I am 19yrs., 6ft tall, 170lbs, with very low body fat, and I work out 5 days a week. I am trying to but on more lean muscle mass and increase my strength as well. Right now I am taking the new Animal M Stak, whey protein, glutamine. In the past I have taken NO Explode, Creatine, and the old Animal M Stak. None of those did a whole lot except for the M Stak which did help some. I have contemplated taking test. busters like Alpha Male or REV-Z but I have read that I should not take test boosters at my age, I have also looked at IDS Mass Tabs but I have heard they are bad for you. So please help me out and just give me a few ideas of what would be good to take to achieve my goal.[/quote]

Your height, your weight, your BF%, your goals. Its your diet. EAT!!! Nail solid nutrition that has you gaining food is the most anabolic thing you can get even if you were on truck loads of steroids it wouldnt do a thing without FOOD!!

Nail a good diet, get your protein and carbs, and fats. Nail proper peri w/o nutrition look into Surge, that and an MRP like Metabolic Drive Complete spend all the extra cash on things like that until your gaining strenght and size THEN once you got that going look into further supplementation with the other thing

You should NOT rely on supplements to make any progress they should AID further progress

Phill

…like Phill said:
Eat!
At your age, FOOD is the very best supplement money can buy.

No…seriously

peace

whole milk

As others have mentioned, your food intake should be number one. Obviously, you don’t eat enough or in the right quantities (good fats, protein).

Supplements that I would consider for mass/strength gain would be FOOD supplements like Metabolic Drive, Surge and Metabolic Drive bars. Creatine would be optional just because it does help some people gain weight or at least get better muscle pumps. Stick with something simple, like pure creatine monohydrate (T-Nation sells 500 grams for $12 - good deal).

The test boosters and all the other stuff out there isn’t going to do a damn thing if you don’t eat enough food and get enough protein and calories to grow.

other than food, protien supplements.

As aforementioned, focus on macro nutrients before micro nutrients. Protein is first, all else is secondary. Make sure you’re getting 1-1.5grams per pound of bodyweight.

As others have correctly stated, eating more food than you feel like you should is really the ticket.

After you’ve got your food intake squared away, BCAAs may genuinely be of help. I’m not big or strong at all, but regular BCAA supplementation at important times (especially in and around a workout) really has helped me get less weak.

Thanks for all the help…Ill just try to eat more then. Although I did think that I ate a lot already. Right now I don’t eat anything with a lot of fat in it cause I’m trying to stay lean. Should I quit doing this and literally eat any and everything that I have.

[quote]syizzle26 wrote:
Thanks for all the help…Ill just try to eat more then. Although I did think that I ate a lot already. Right now I don’t eat anything with a lot of fat in it cause I’m trying to stay lean. Should I quit doing this and literally eat any and everything that I have.[/quote]

Fats dont make you fat and many have a benefit of burning more fat. Also they are a key direct ingredient in your hormone production and other simple but important life functions

Read the fats roundtable and many other articles here on the subject

Phill

yes I know that there are some good fats like the poly, mono, and omega fats. But what I ment by not eating fat is I try to stay away from saturated and trans fats the most.

You may think you are eating a lot but you aren’t eating enough or you would be making great progress already and wouldn’t have to ask about supplements. The best thing you can do is count calories. It sucks at first but it gets easier after a while. Once you have an accurate estimate of how much you are taking in, you can figure out when and how to pack more in.

Read this. And the links.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

SQUATS AND MILK

Great advice, I had an IFBB pro tell me the same thing when I told him I wasn’t making gains any more. I followed his advice ate more steak, eggs and chicken, counted my grams of pro, carbs, and fat, and started making progress again.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:

You may think you are eating a lot but you aren’t eating enough or you would be making great progress already and wouldn’t have to ask about supplements. The best thing you can do is count calories. It sucks at first but it gets easier after a while. Once you have an accurate estimate of how much you are taking in, you can figure out when and how to pack more in.

Read this. And the links.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350[/quote]

[quote]syizzle26 wrote:
yes I know that there are some good fats like the poly, mono, and omega fats. But what I ment by not eating fat is I try to stay away from saturated and trans fats the most. [/quote]

You need sats as well only fat really to steer clear of is trans fats

Phill

Really? So it is ok for me to eat red meat and other foods high in fat. And it will not cause my abs to smooth out any.

You don’t have to over do it. You could bump up your cals by 200 every 2 to 4 weeks till you start making gains, or say fuck it eat a ton and lift heavy. I’ve tried the “fuck it, lets eat lots of cheese cake and burgers, its OK I’m bulking up” approach but I end up buying bigger pants.

You could be a guy that can eat whatever and make leaner gains. I know I’m not that guy. I eat lots of beef and whole eggs but keep track of pro carb and fat ratios.

I have Cytogainer for about 3 months and gained 30 pounds. I’m pretty sure it doesnt have glycocyamine like Muscle Milk, which a lot of people on here claim to be very bad for you so i would give that a try. The main thing though, which im sure you’ve heard a thousand times is to eat.

30lbs in 3 months!! was that after a diet, did you just start lifting, or is that 30 lbs of muscle? Well that settles it, no more glycocyamine on my corn flakes in the morning

[quote]Beej1989 wrote:
I have Cytogainer for about 3 months and gained 30 pounds. I’m pretty sure it doesnt have glycocyamine like Muscle Milk, which a lot of people on here claim to be very bad for you so i would give that a try. The main thing though, which im sure you’ve heard a thousand times is to eat. [/quote]

Roids of Steer