T Nation

Best Supplements For High School?

Im 17, a HS senior, and looking to gain mass and strength for the push into college football. Last summer I took Surge post workout, and I think it helped, but during this past season I wasnt using anything mostly because I was dead broke. Now that I have some cash, what would you all recommend in the supplement field. I was thinking along the lines of a protein powder, Surge, and creatine maybe?

You are right on. Whey protein, Surge for PWO, and creatine are all you need.

I used ZMA all throughout highschool. It’s cheap and will insure your mineral balance doesn’t get thrown off by sweating so much in practice.

BigDirk, put your money into FOOD! The supplements can wait until you have a job and disposable income.

If you’re serious about your goals, there are things you can do that will help you achieve your goals. And the good thing is, they’ll cost you little to no money!

• Read the archived articles and the forum and use the search engine to research topics of interest.

• Prepare your food for the day and take it with you when you go. Don’t depend on the school cafeteria to help you achieve your strength and body comp goals.

• Keep a food log and get a handle on what you’re eating, how many calories. You won’t have to do it forever, but it will teach you a ton. People who keep a food log, weigh in weekly and make adjustments to their program are more likely to achieve their stated goals than those who don’t.

Good luck to you!!!

I would get MPI (milk protein isolate)if you don’t think you’re getting enough protein. Just one shake a day might make big difference as long as you clean up your diet so ensure that you’re getting enough vitamins and minerals. It’s cheap and effective.

If you’re thinking Surge, which is a great PWO supplement, go with a different protein than whey. Whey is quick digesting, which makes it great for PWO, and is included in Surge.

For supplementing the rest of the day, something slower digesting and longer lasting is a better call, i.e. a protein with casein in it. Milk Protein Isolate is a good call, which is approx. 80% casein / 20% whey. And make as much of your protein intake during the day whole food as possible.

Anymore thoughts on the creatine issue? The main time period is from now until the end of summer, when I will go to campus for my first year of college football. In that time I want to get as strong as I can, as fast as I can, as big as I can and as jacked as I can so I wont be watching all the games from the sidelines. What should I take or not take?

Big Dirk- Screw all this other stuff. Listen to Tampa Terry. How many calories are you currently eating? How many grams of protein, carbs, and fat are you eating each day? Do you keep a log keeping track of your caloric intake? If you don’t know the answers to these questions then supplements won’t do shit for you. Get your diet in order then add any supplements you may need. Where are you playing college ball next year?

alright, I’ll work on the food thing first. Ive been working on sorting out the diet thing now. A normal day for me looks like this:

Meal 1- Oatmeal with raisins and peanuts in it

Meal 2- power bar and apple in school

Meal 3- 2 chicken breast, salad, piece of fruit

Meal 4- nuts and raisins

Meal 5- dinner; some form of meat (chicken, 5% fat beef, steak) brown rice or potatoes or salad.

Any thoughts? I havent been weighing my portions so far, but Ive been trying to eat as much protein as I can.

[quote]BigDirk wrote:
alright, I’ll work on the food thing first. Ive been working on sorting out the diet thing now. A normal day for me looks like this:

Meal 4- nuts and raisins

Meal 5- dinner; some form of meat (chicken, 5% fat beef, steak) brown rice or potatoes or salad.

Any thoughts? I havent been weighing my portions so far, but Ive been trying to eat as much protein as I can.
[/quote]

That looks like a pretty good start, most on this site will tell you to eat at least 6 times a day and that is sound advice. So I’d say if you can squeeze in another whole meal and snack you would be in great shape! Just make sure that if you are training like an animal, you have to eat like one.

1. This may sound like a plug, but you would do well to buy John Berardi’s No Nonsense Nutrition DVD. You’d probably be shocked at the number of people that use his system for their clients.

2. Ditch the powerbar, and replace it w/ some real food.

3. Like has already been said, try to get 6 meals, not MEAL, snack, MEAL, snack, MEAL. So maybe that means splitting up your chicken salad into 2 portions each with 1 chicken breast, and adding some nuts/flax to bring up the calorie count.

4. If you are bulking (or even if you aren’t) try a snack before bed, such as a half to a whole cup of whole milk yogurt or cottage cheese with a scoop of protein powder in it.

5. It may seem “gay” or not cool to bring 3 tupperwares to school with your food for the day in it, but when you’re bigger, stronger, and faster than your friends, then it doesn’t really matter.

RIT Jared

[quote]BigDirk wrote:

Meal 4- nuts and raisins

[/quote]

EAT MORE! what position you play?

Eat more dead animal products in your meals and have something before bed. Your diet looks pretty sound other than that. Mainly the meat part. If you are bulking and depending on your position you may need more calories.

Thanks for the help so far. I play defensive end, currently Im 6’3 220. Would like to bulk to around 235, then cut back to like 225 before the start of the season. I would especially like to get faster also.

Get some Low-Carb Grow! and some creatine definitely, and Surge as well if you can afford that too. now, if you can follow the eating changes suggested, do that first, but since you’re still in high school, you might be living in a traditional 3 meals a day house and you’re parents are still calling quite a few of the shots, so its understandable if the food changes aren’t completely accessible, and in which case, use the supplements i mentioned above. Good luck with it man.

BigDirk, not half bad re the diet! It’s light years ahead of most highschool students!

Recommendations are:

• Add a meal before bed. It can be a protein shake like Grow! or cottage cheese, ground up flaxseeds, Splenda, raisins, cinnamon & protein powder. Get creative, but get in another slow-release-protein-based meal before hitting the sack.

• Re your first meal, no sugary oatmeal packets. Get the REAL stuff.
    But here’s the most important part: Add protein! Here’s another place a quality protein is going to help you meet your goals. But if you’re on a budget, you can use egg whites (without the yokes).

BTW, you can always double-up on what you cook, throw it into some Tupperware and take it with you. Oatmeal and protein powder is a great PWO meal.

• If no one has talked about it, you need to be optimizing PWO (Post Work Out) nutrition. Do a search. Once again, repeating, take your food with you!

• Re Meal #2, I’m with RIT Jared, in that I don’t like protein bars. Have tuna fish here or beef jerky & nuts. Protein! You need protein!

How much protein? You need at least 1.5g times your total body weight (TBW) when bulking. That’s 330g of protein per day! Go to www.fitday.com to see how many ounces of chicken or fish or lean ground beef you need to eat to meet your daily protein requirements. You’re not getting anywhere NEAR that number. If you don’t track it, if you don’t measure it, if you don’t look it up, it’s all hit or miss. Once again, you don’t have to keep a food log forever, but you need a better idea of how much you should be eating.

• Meal #4 you need more protein!

• Finally, I have a very odd request of you. I want you to go to a bookstore and find a book by Barry Sears called “The Omega Zone.” Then I want you to read the chapter on athletes. It will take you about 20 minutes. After that I want you to make sure you’re getting flaxseed oil and/or fish oil in your diet on a daily basis. It’s the fish oil with measurable amounts of EPA & DHA that have the real athletic punch! If you want an edge over your competition, start supplementing with fish oil. Salmon bought in the store won’t give you what you need because it’s farm raised and LOW in EPA & DHA.

Once again, I think you’ve done pretty well for yourself. If you’re only willing to do one thing, start tracking the amount of protein you eat so that you’re getting that 1.5g x TBW.

If you’re willing to do two things, get that sixth meal in. If you can’t do it before you go to bed, drink two large glasses of water and drink a shake or have a PROTEIN snack in the middle of the night when you get up to use the bathroom.

And finally, if you’re willing to do THREE things, start supplementing with flaxseed oil and/or fish oil. It’s food, really, but food that will reduce inflammation, make your brain more alert (don’t take fish oil before bed because you won’t sleep), make you leaner and less fat, help with recovery when you’re working out hard and getting beaten up on, on the field, increase endurance – the list of benefits is almost endless.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Lots of good advice from everyone, although I might have to disagree with some of it.

First off, If I were trying to bulk, I’d have some sort of sugar in the morning. 8 hours of not eating and your body has low glycogen levels. Its like after working out. Your muscles are craving sugar and protein.

I guess some people will agree and disagree with me on this, but if you’re bulking, SOME sugar (25g or less) won’t hurt.

Also, like Speed said, you need proper nutrition before you take supplements. Without proper nutrition, supplements won’t do much good. If you want “the edge” on your opponent, you’ll want your eating in check first and foremost.

Well I’m willing to do all i can (and also what my mom will let me).

I feel I should buy some Grow! for both PWO and the before bed meal, as it would be hard for me to get the protein otherwise.

So for school, I was thinking of switching the power bar to either chicken or tuna, then the other when I get home.

So:

Meal 1- Oatmeal with raisins and nuts
Meal 2- Tuna or Chicken and fruit
Meal 3- Chicken or Tuna and Salad

Then it gets somewhat complicated. I lift normally around 7, so i dont usually have enough time after my mom gets home to eat dinner before I lift. So that leaves me with a PWO meal, dinner, and my before bed meal all from 9-11 at night. Any thoughts on how to fix this without changing workout times?

Also, where should i put the flaxseed/fish oil? I can probably convince my mom to get one or the other, which is best, and how to use it?

Thanks for all the help so far, i really appreciate it.

Just bought fish oil caps today myself so I can’t tell you a whole lot about them. However, one thing I can tell you about is flax oil. It’s my understanding that liquid flax oil is cheaper than caps. So, if you don’t mind getting used to the taste, take two to three tablespoons before bed. Fats are slow to digest, so this gives your body something to feed off of while you sleep. Once you get that established, use the nocturnal feeding suggestion to your advantage. Prepare a protein shake before you go to bed and have it waiting for you so in the middle of the night you can down it quickly and get back to sleep.
OT - All this advice was given to me by my brother, David Barr. So, if you’re not sure how credible it is, check out some articles :). Good luck Dirk!
-DV

1. It may seem “gay” or not cool to bring 3 tupperwares to school with your food for the day in it, but when you’re bigger, stronger, and faster than your friends, then it doesn’t really matter.

RIT Jared

I have found in my experience, that people find my eating habits quite interesting. I am in highschool, and guys will joke, but they realize i am bigger than they are, and chicks think its cool because i have good food and cook for myself. THis is a big win and the way to go. Get a nice lunchbox and plenty of storage containers and your good to go.