Best Supplements For A Sprinter

[quote]Nomancer wrote:
squash wrote:
i think arginine is more usful than creatine.

How so?

Arginine nowadays is seems to be mostly promoted for the muscle “pump”.[/quote]

from my understanding normal arginine helps the blood flow better and faster and if taken PWO with your PWO drink it can actually transfer nutrients faster to muscles, thus enhancing recovery. i’ve taken arginine before and did notice a little bit from this, but not enough to continue taking it long term. I would probably suggest taking this when your doing double sessions, especially in GPP so your recovery can be better between two workouts and to lessen DOMS.

arginine is a precursor to the krebs cycle, so it provides a fuel supply without the water retention, as well it raises GH levels when taken at certain times.

[quote]Nomancer wrote:
squash wrote:
i think arginine is more usful than creatine.

How so?

Arginine nowadays is seems to be mostly promoted for the muscle “pump”.[/quote]

[quote]BWBurner wrote:
being a sprinter myself I have found that creatine mixed in with gatorade (i prefer making my own gatorade with the powder)provides the best results. I use creatine during GPP and throughout the Specific Preparation phase and gradually phase out of it in the precomp so I am completely off of it the week before my first meet.

I find creatine useful for myself when training volume is high. i can definitely feel more recovered the day after with creatine and after a good 4-6 weeks on it, i feel i can attack the weights harder with it and with increased strength means increase speed over 30-60m, which is why i really feel creatine being beneficial for indoor preparation (55m, 60m)

i have experimented with creatine during my summer meets, discovering that i can get the “effects” that i got during indoor with it without the cramping and weight gain by using it 3 days a week and stopping it 2 days before the meet (if meet is on saturday, i take my last dose on wednesday. doing this i have ran multiple PR’s and noticed i could hold my peak longer. when i stopped this, times significantly declined in the 100m but not the 200m, which stayed the same.[/quote]

Thanks for the input!

I’m curious as to why you’d stop creatine a few days out from a meet. It takes about a month for elevated muscle creatine levels to return to normal when resting, but even when training they wouldn’t return to baseline in a couple of days.

If you’re having positive results from creatine despite the reduced pre-event intake, could the effect be enhanced for you by continuing supplementation throughout? I’d think so.

Thanks again for your story.

[quote]bigblue244 wrote:
aside from creatine, i was wondering what your thoughts were on other supplements. [/quote]

Hmmm… there’s a book’s worth of info there, although I agree with many of the suggestions on this thread.

You’ve just given me an idea.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
BWBurner wrote:
being a sprinter myself I have found that creatine mixed in with gatorade (i prefer making my own gatorade with the powder)provides the best results. I use creatine during GPP and throughout the Specific Preparation phase and gradually phase out of it in the precomp so I am completely off of it the week before my first meet.

I find creatine useful for myself when training volume is high. i can definitely feel more recovered the day after with creatine and after a good 4-6 weeks on it, i feel i can attack the weights harder with it and with increased strength means increase speed over 30-60m, which is why i really feel creatine being beneficial for indoor preparation (55m, 60m)

i have experimented with creatine during my summer meets, discovering that i can get the “effects” that i got during indoor with it without the cramping and weight gain by using it 3 days a week and stopping it 2 days before the meet (if meet is on saturday, i take my last dose on wednesday. doing this i have ran multiple PR’s and noticed i could hold my peak longer. when i stopped this, times significantly declined in the 100m but not the 200m, which stayed the same.

Thanks for the input!

I’m curious as to why you’d stop creatine a few days out from a meet. It takes about a month for elevated muscle creatine levels to return to normal when resting, but even when training they wouldn’t return to baseline in a couple of days.

If you’re having positive results from creatine despite the reduced pre-event intake, could the effect be enhanced for you by continuing supplementation throughout? I’d think so.

Thanks again for your story.[/quote]

not a problem david. I’ll try your advice for my first summer meet, see if its true. I think the fact with me stopping 2 days before may be a psychological thing.

Supplements. Just ask time to stick a button on the top of the page where you enter your credit card details and receive a Biotest package once a month with one of everything. Then you should be set :wink:

I would defenately use Power Drive. I’m a hockey player and I feel the CNS support on my starts when I do sprint training on the track. I think it is something you should defenately try. Although I don’t “feel” anything, whenever I look at training sessions and hockey games afterward I see that I’ve had a better sense of well being sort of, and less latic acid build up in my hockey games. Charlie francis likes Power Drive and so should you :wink:

Of course Surge and protein powder are also both great.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
I would defenately use Power Drive. I’m a hockey player and I feel the CNS support on my starts when I do sprint training on the track. I think it is something you should defenately try. Although I don’t “feel” anything, whenever I look at training sessions and hockey games afterward I see that I’ve had a better sense of well being sort of, and less latic acid build up in my hockey games. Charlie francis likes Power Drive and so should you :wink:

Of course Surge and protein powder are also both great.[/quote]

agreed. i forgot to add powerdrive to my list, but it is also a good add. When training volume is high and the CNS is beginning to take a dive, taking Power Drive post workout is a great insurance policy on your central nervous system.

If you guys were to pick the top three supps for sprinters in terms of both sprint and weight training what would they be?

BETA ALANINE @ 6 grams/day split up.

[quote]Jumper09 wrote:
If you guys were to pick the top three supps for sprinters in terms of both sprint and weight training what would they be?[/quote]

This:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_supplements/best_supplements_for_a_sprinter?id=1043392&pageNo=0

All of those that he stated is perfect, but here is my version you can love it hate it. But this is stuff that i have been told by a University strength and conditioning coach. Theres a type of creatine called phosphagen Elite or phosphagen HP, i suggest the elite. It has Beta-Alanine that aids in the production of carnosine which helps buffer down lactic acid. And if you do not know what lactic acid is, it is the burning sensation in your muscles and the wearing down making your muscles tireed. Perfect for your accleration and your b-mechanics and the stride.

Also has FGC patented technology for strength with phosphate magnesium. My protien is just muscle milk good size of grams of protein and muscle milk has lean lipids to help you lean out and is made to mock the stimulation of mother breast milk. And your amino acids. And its not as much of supplements that will make a diffrence. It is the way you train work on your take offs a-mechanics and b-mechanics.

My experience with creatine has been a double edged sword. I have gotten faster and bigger, yet had issues with the extra weight. I have struggled to maintain conditioning with the extra weight. It makes logical sense to add creatine for 100m and 200m sprints. I would think fish oil to improve nerve conductivity to firing muscles. One thing about sprinting, there are very few things that can compete with it. I personally think running 400m sprints is hell on Earth and one of the best fat loss methods ever. The level of soreness is unbelievable.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
My experience with creatine has been a double edged sword. I have gotten faster and bigger, yet had issues with the extra weight. I have struggled to maintain conditioning with the extra weight. It makes logical sense to add creatine for 100m and 200m sprints. I would think fish oil to improve nerve conductivity to firing muscles. One thing about sprinting, there are very few things that can compete with it. I personally think running 400m sprints is hell on Earth and one of the best fat loss methods ever. The level of soreness is unbelievable.[/quote]

You are 100 percent right on 400m sprints. I just started doing them again last week and my legs are still sore! Awesome stuff.