Best Supplements For A Sprinter

hey im a 100m sprinter.
besides from amino’s and certain vitamins that i know can benifit me.
are there any other supps that may be good for a sport like sprinting.
i just ordered Carbolin 19, is there any (legal) things that you guys recommend as a must have for sprinting.

thanks

squash,

i am a collegiate 55m and 100m sprinter myself (the 4x100 relay that i anchor just broke the school record and we are ranked 2nd in new england). i also have some experience with supplements and as far as help with sprinting supplements go, i’d say you need some.

a multi-vitamin is good for anybody. since i am an athlete, i take 2 a day, one in the morning and one after my workout to keep my body and immune system functioning properly after hard workouts.

i don’t really see a need for an amino acid supplement like you listed, but rather you should invest in some good protein with a quality amino-acid profile. since Grow! and Metabolic Drive are out of stock, i recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (you can get a 10 lb. bag for $50, lasts you a few months). i take it once in the morning, once after my workout with Surge (another must have, does wonders for recovery and recuperation, provides the correct amounts of carbs and protein after a hard workout when your body most needs it, and can be purchased on the site, take only after you lift and it should last a month), and i take it once before i go to bed with milk (the casein protein in the milk digests slower) so my sleep will be more anabolic as opposed to catabolic.

creatine. preferably micronized monohydrate (the creatine on this site is perfect). creatine is associated with ATP synthesis (energy - and as an added bonus, helps with hypertrophy and strength gain, especially if you have never used it - make sure that with creatine you drink as much water as you can to avoid cramping), and in an activity like sprinting that is soley an anaerobic activity as opposed to an aerobic activity, you need all the ATP you can get. during maintenance phase i take one serving before running for energy and one serving after i lift.

Spike is also a must have for me, being in college sometimes its hard with classes, homework, etc. to find the energy and motivation to workout/run hard. Spike gives me that edge when i need it.

Glucosamine Chondroiton with MSM. not necessary, but this can be a life saver for your joints (knees, hips, ankles) after a long grueling season.

ZMA. helps with recovery, sleep, and provides you with key minerals that help muscle contractions and prevent muscle cramping. also is said to increase testosterone, thus enhance strength, but i’ve never really experienced that. very good and cheap ZMA on this site as well.

that’s about all i can think of right now. feel free anyone to disagree with me or correct me but i think it is pretty sound advice. good luck with your track season.

bigblue

What he said ^^ plus Fish oil.

Most of the stuff you said is good.

Omega-3 (Fish oil) like Flameout is very good stuff for joints and many many other things as well.

I don’t know how well it would work for sprinting, but Power Drive (or another good choline and tyrosene supplement) is awsome for setting PRs in the gym, and I’d imagine that it would also help sprinting too.

[quote]bigblue244 wrote:

i don’t really see a need for an amino acid supplement like you listed, but rather you should invest in some good protein with a quality amino-acid profile. since Grow! and Metabolic Drive are out of stock, i recommend Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey (you can get a 10 lb. bag for $50, lasts you a few months).
[/quote]

You can still get Metabolic Drive in the store here… stawberry, orange and bananna…

also, I’m shocked you reccomend ON 100% Whey… its not nearly as good as other stuff on the market (if you only like choclate and vanilla). it doesn’t have any of the good stuff in Metabolic Drive or Grow! like casien.

i forgot one of the most important supplements. a good EFA (essential fatty acids) supplement is essential, no pun intended. if Flameout is ever in stock, i recommend that. if not, you can go for Udo’s Choice, also a quality brand. this helps with everything, but inflammation is the biggest for a sprinter.

thanks ill be a bit more specific.
here are the single supps ive looked into, not all are taken by themselves so dont think im taking 50 tabs here.

ammino’s
creatine
arginine
tyrosine
carnitine
methioniine

vitamins
b complex
gluscosomine
omega 3-6-9
calcium
Vit C

others
choline
inositol
inosine

i was taking ZMA all last season, but this season im just going to have some amino’s (arginine,ornithine,glysine) before bed and see how that goes.

ive also bought some WPI and dextrose which ill use this season PWO.
plus ive bought carabolin. which for me is very very expensive.

other ones ive heard are good but are not in any of my supps are.
ATP
RNA
coenzyme b-12
and b12 injections

have i missed anything here?
iwould also like to hear how you guys split up ur supps pre and post workout

thanks

[quote]squash wrote:
thanks ill be a bit more specific.
here are the single supps ive looked into, not all are taken by themselves so dont think im taking 50 tabs here.

ammino’s
creatine
arginine
tyrosine
carnitine
methioniine

vitamins
b complex
gluscosomine
omega 3-6-9
calcium
Vit C

others
choline
inositol
inosine

i was taking ZMA all last season, but this season im just going to have some amino’s (arginine,ornithine,glysine) before bed and see how that goes.

ive also bought some WPI and dextrose which ill use this season PWO.
plus ive bought carabolin. which for me is very very expensive.

other ones ive heard are good but are not in any of my supps are.
ATP
RNA
coenzyme b-12
and b12 injections

have i missed anything here?
iwould also like to hear how you guys split up ur supps pre and post workout

thanks[/quote]

alright, to start off in your aminos section, you have creatine listed. creatine is not an amino acid. like i said before it is something you should be taking, however. the rest of those aminos themselves will not help you build muscle, if that’s what your aim is, so buying a good protein will be more than sufficient. the reason why i suggested ON 100% Whey is, well from my standpoint at least, it’s the best price/quality combo for someone with limited funds. They have all the aminos covered and their grams to protein content % was around 80-something percent. Meaning mostly pure whey protein. i mean, i can get a 10 lb. bag for $50 and it lasts me months.

b complex is pretty good, i take it during lunch with a protein shake and it helps with carb/protein absorption and utilization - converts to energy. i also take pure vitamin c tablets (500 mg a day) after i lift. a good multi-vitamin is essential. basically everything else i mentioned in my last post and a good fatty acid supplement. the other stuff you list, i don’t really see why you would take it or what purpose it would serve, but do your thing, just trying to help.

bigblue

[quote]squash wrote:

ammino’s
creatine
arginine
tyrosine
carnitine
methioniine

vitamins
b complex
gluscosomine
omega 3-6-9
calcium
Vit C

others
choline
inositol
inosine
[/quote]

You can buy many of those in bulk powders and mix it yourself. From there, you can disolve it in water, or cap it yourself.

If you are getting this detailed, consider talking to Dave Barr, he does this kind of thing (profesionally).

http://www.raisethebarr.net/services.php

thanks for ur input.
bascially what ive read it.
the amino’s i listed help in releasing GH.
all the vitamins and other things like inosine help in energy formation and production of ATP ect ect.

my goals are to revovery faster, gain strength, and keep lean

[/quote]
alright, to start off in your aminos section, you have creatine listed. creatine is not an amino acid. like i said before it is something you should be taking, however. the rest of those aminos themselves will not help you build muscle, if that’s what your aim is, so buying a good protein will be more than sufficient. the reason why i suggested ON 100% Whey is, well from my standpoint at least, it’s the best price/quality combo for someone with limited funds. They have all the aminos covered and their grams to protein content % was around 80-something percent. Meaning mostly pure whey protein. i mean, i can get a 10 lb. bag for $50 and it lasts me months.

b complex is pretty good, i take it during lunch with a protein shake and it helps with carb/protein absorption and utilization - converts to energy. i also take pure vitamin c tablets (500 mg a day) after i lift. a good multi-vitamin is essential. basically everything else i mentioned in my last post and a good fatty acid supplement. the other stuff you list, i don’t really see why you would take it or what purpose it would serve, but do your thing, just trying to help.

bigblue

[/quote]

would someone be able to recommend a good supplement program based on the Biotest products that would help my training for sprinting purpose’s.

thanks

currently taking Carbolin and no other Biotest stuff

Seriously consider consulting with Dave Barr.

I’m not a sprinter so this isn’t exact. But it also depends on how much money you want to spend.
Nearly everything that Biotest sells is good stuff.

The best ones would be:
Creatine
Power Drive
Spike (depending on how you react)
Alpha Male (they reformulated it so you don’t have to take Carbolin 19 anymore.)
ZMA for sleep quality
Surge after your workouts

Classic Grow and Metabolic Drive are good if you need more protein in your diet.

Flameout is always good. Especially so for your joints.

Methoxy-7 and HOT-ROX are less important.

Other than that, almost every thing there might give you an edge in some way or another.

Power Drive is a very good and overlooked supp for speed strength sports like sprinting. Give it time though it’s not Spike.

a list of only Biotest products for sprinters? easy.

Surge is a must for those hard intense workouts you’ll be going through, especially during the GPP.

Metabolic Drive- great to keep your body anabolic through the night, i suggest taking it before bed.

ZMA- great mineral support that will give you better sleep, better sleep=better recovery=better performance!

Creatine-thought not as important as the first 3, still great because studies have shown it can improve sprint endurance.

Flameout- good for joint support but if money is an option go for a bulk product, but you won’t get as high quality as this.

when training remember your a sprinter. your first goal is to get fast. weight training is important to a sprinter but is only seen as a supplement to the program and a general means to further improve the CNS output. better CNS= better sprinting times. with this in mind, unless you already have the adequate strength and weight on you go low reps (1-6) and sets (1-6) ad high intensity (78-100%…GPP stay around 78-85% and SPP-Pre-Comp go around 85-100%)

and remember to DELOAD! too many people over train because they do not properly place a deloading phase in their weights and sprinting.

This is one of the best threads I’ve seen lately!

Personally I’m hesitant to throw track athletes on creatine because of the water weight gain. I mean, if it’s pre-season and we’re screwing around, then creatine is great! But a lot of clients come to me mid-late season, and the last thing you want to do is tack on 5 extra lbs.

I haven’t been impressed by any studies on creatine and speed, so it’s really one of those things we need to figure out on our own -more specifically, for the individual.

Anyone else have input on creatine/sprinting?

being a sprinter myself I have found that creatine mixed in with gatorade (i prefer making my own gatorade with the powder)provides the best results. I use creatine during GPP and throughout the Specific Preparation phase and gradually phase out of it in the precomp so I am completely off of it the week before my first meet.

I find creatine useful for myself when training volume is high. i can definitely feel more recovered the day after with creatine and after a good 4-6 weeks on it, i feel i can attack the weights harder with it and with increased strength means increase speed over 30-60m, which is why i really feel creatine being beneficial for indoor preparation (55m, 60m)

i have experimented with creatine during my summer meets, discovering that i can get the “effects” that i got during indoor with it without the cramping and weight gain by using it 3 days a week and stopping it 2 days before the meet (if meet is on saturday, i take my last dose on wednesday. doing this i have ran multiple PR’s and noticed i could hold my peak longer. when i stopped this, times significantly declined in the 100m but not the 200m, which stayed the same.

I’d have to go with Creatine as it is associated with ATP-PC. Which is your first 10 seconds of energy. So without a doubt, that is the time frame you would be aiming for over the 100.

thanks for all the input.

just my experience with creatine, i use it everday during gpp and then only after high intensity work outs in spp. i think arginine is more usful than creatine.

Thank you for this thread! Very helpful!

[quote]squash wrote:
i think arginine is more usful than creatine.[/quote]

How so?

Arginine nowadays is seems to be mostly promoted for the muscle “pump”.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
This is one of the best threads I’ve seen lately!

Personally I’m hesitant to throw track athletes on creatine because of the water weight gain. I mean, if it’s pre-season and we’re screwing around, then creatine is great! But a lot of clients come to me mid-late season, and the last thing you want to do is tack on 5 extra lbs.

I haven’t been impressed by any studies on creatine and speed, so it’s really one of those things we need to figure out on our own -more specifically, for the individual.

Anyone else have input on creatine/sprinting?[/quote]

aside from creatine, i was wondering what your thoughts were on other supplements.