T Nation

Best Strongman Event in History!

[quote]walleye49 wrote:
I wonder if they’ll ever have a totally drug free version of this event.[/quote]

Why the hell would you want that? I want to see some freaks lift incomprehensible weights.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Power GnP wrote:
Looks to be an awesome event, I’d make the trip if I could. Pudizan or not it should still be a great show.

Thib, do you know Louis-Philippe Jean?

Yeah, he is a young guy with fantastic potential and is a great entertainer which seems to be important nowadays.[/quote]

Nice, he’s definitly the biggest underdog on the list as far as I can tell. Hope he places well and gets his name out on the circut.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
walleye49 wrote:
I wonder if they’ll ever have a totally drug free version of this event.

Why the hell would you want that? I want to see some freaks lift incomprehensible weights.[/quote]

Agreed. A totally drug free version of this would get about as much attention as the natural bodybuilding circuit. You go to the circus to see freaks.

Christ Almighty!!! Look at this guy’s ARMS!!! (Mark Felix)

Wasnt their a thread a while back about fat strongmen?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
Christ Almighty!!! Look at this guy’s ARMS!!! (Mark Felix)[/quote]

I’ve seen him in person. Pictures simply don’t do these men justice. They are GIGANTIC.

What’s more- they’re incredibly graceful. I remember watching the hammer throw event at Inverness’ World Highland Games, and I was blown away by the fact that a comparison could be made between these gigantic hulks’ movements and the grace of a ballerina.

Almost sounds wrong to put ballerina and strongman in the same sentence, but it’s not far from the truth.

This has been in planning for a while, and the competitor list has been stacked for a while.

Mariusz dropped out about a month ago, saying he is rehabbing his knee and getting back into training after his foray with “dancing with the stars” polish version. His contest has been and still is the WSM, and most people think he is focusing on that.

However, with the list of competitors and the weights, it would be difficult for Mariusz to pull out a top 4 finish.

I’m predicting

Lbstone
Savickas
Misha
The Texas Stoneman (travis ortamayer)
Muramets

for the top 5. I’m picking Derek Poundstone to win it because it’s an athletic contest with lots of emphasis on overhead strength (which lbstone is #1 in) and it’s a really high volume contest. I just don’t think Savickas can hang with Derek in such a high volume contest. I predict a win here and then a huge win at this years WSM. You heard it here first.

Don’t be surprised to see Mark Felix breaking onto the podium either.

Either way, the winner is anyone that can walk after this contest.

As for Drug Free, Phil Phister was pushing a drug tested version of the ASM but that got pushed back since in all likelyhood WSM is coming to Virginia this year.

this is an insane competition

one thing, do they test all of these on strong men before picking them? Because this one:

EVENT 4: THE LOUIS CYR CRUCIFIX HOLD (90 lbs / 41 kg)
Athletes to compete in PAIRS
Raising overhead two (2x45 lbs / 2x20,5 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbells, bringing them to the cucifix position and holding them out for time.
The winner determined by the best time.

seems impossible, I’d be surprised if any can hold it for more than a few seconds, I just don’t see it

edit- nvm- I thought the dumbbells were 90 pounds each, my bad

Mariusz dancing on Polish version of Dancing with the Stars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcGY7K0ilA

Outstanding list of events. I really would like to see Mark Felix deadlift.

For anyone that was wondering, the results were

LBstone (called it)
Savickas
Wenta

for the top 3. Videos are online, and after MSG and now this contest, it’s looking like it might be a 1-2 finish for the Americans in this years WSM. Between Poundstone, Ortamayer, and Phister, the US may have this years worlds strongest man on lockdown.

[quote]Flow wrote:
SteelyD wrote:

I’ve seen him in person. Pictures simply don’t do these men justice. They are GIGANTIC.

What’s more- they’re incredibly graceful. I remember watching the hammer throw event at Inverness’ World Highland Games, and I was blown away by the fact that a comparison could be made between these gigantic hulks’ movements and the grace of a ballerina.

Almost sounds wrong to put ballerina and strongman in the same sentence, but it’s not far from the truth.[/quote]

That’s highland games, not strongman. Not to say these guys couldnt compete in the Highland Games, I know Wout Ziljstra’s done both and I believe Misha and Poundstone have as well, but these are two different competitive endeavors.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Flow wrote:
SteelyD wrote:

Almost sounds wrong to put ballerina and strongman in the same sentence, but it’s not far from the truth.

That’s highland games, not strongman. Not to say these guys couldnt compete in the Highland Games, I know Wout Ziljstra’s done both and I believe Misha and Poundstone have as well, but these are two different competitive endeavors.[/quote]

Well, Highland games was the closest I got to seeing an actual strongman contest, and many of those men were also competitive strongmen. I figured the comparison was logical because the athletes commonly participate in both types of competitions, but I could be wrong.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
For anyone that was wondering, the results were

LBstone (called it)
Savickas
Wenta

for the top 3. Videos are online, and after MSG and now this contest, it’s looking like it might be a 1-2 finish for the Americans in this years WSM. Between Poundstone, Ortamayer, and Phister, the US may have this years worlds strongest man on lockdown.[/quote]

Man, you called that perfect!

Def a good sign to see some US guys going to WSM. Don’t count out Brian Shaw as he qualifed at MSG. Could be a sleeper at 6"8 @ 370.

Monopoly

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:

Def a good sign to see some US guys going to WSM. Don’t count out Brian Shaw as he qualifed at MSG. Could be a sleeper at 6"8 @ 370.

Monopoly
[/quote]

This is going to be the most stacked group of Americans ever.

LBSTONE
TEXAS STONEMAN
Shaw
Ostlund

plus whoever else qualifies.
(nee, phifster, etc)

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Monopoly19 wrote:

Monopoly

LBSTONE
TEXAS STONEMAN
Shaw
Ostlund

(nee, phifster, etc)[/quote]

The kevin nee should qualify this week (viking power challenge in norway), and I know phifster just competed in a pro-am for-fun show with 2 of the guys I train with. He was looking to be in good shape.

I see no reason we couldn’t have 4 americans in the finals.

also, we may end up seeing some of the other IFSA guys (misha, big-z) in this years WSM from what the rumors are… would lead to the best WSM in a while. I’m pegging LBstone to win it, even with BigZ in the mix, but I’d have to see the events before making a definite decision.

Derek Poundstone’s videos

LPJ’S videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/justemoi49

From Ironmind

Derek Poundstone Earns His Name: What Else Would You Call a Strongman? by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2008 IronMind

Montmagny, Québec - Never without a quick answer, when Derek Poundstone was asked for his thoughts right before he started his turn at the final round of stones - his last chance to beat Zydrunas Savickas and claim the Fortissimus title - he mentioned his name, saying that we�??d find out if he was worthy of it.

It was 517 pounds, but this was the stone that stood between Derek Poundstone and the Fortissimus title. Poundstone loaded the stone, the only man to do so, for which he won the title and he was crowned, �??The mightiest man on the planet and the modern day successor to Louis Cyr.�?? Randall J. Strossen photo.

And pound the stone he did - the only man to load the 517-pound Cyr stone, taking the title and capping a great effort in which he hounded Zydrunas Savickas the first day, but came into day two in second place. That would change, though, as Poundstone pulled ahead today, although he and Savickas were battling neck and neck. Still, Poundstone wasn�??t ready to claim victory when he got ahead: �??I don�??t like to count my chickens until my eggs hatch,�?? he said, when people were ready to congratulate when he first pulled ahead of the Zydrunas Savickas.

Derek Poundstone never lost his sense of humor either, because when he was second to Zydrunas on the one-arm dumbbell medley, he quipped, �??At least I beat Travis - that gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.�??

At that point, Poundstone led Savickas by one and a half points, but Savickas won the Atlas stones and Poundstone was third. With just the natural stones left, Savickas blazed through the first two, but was stopped by the third stone - the 517-pound monster. If Poundstone were to beat Savickas, he�??d have to do what nobody else had managed - he would have to load this beast, and that�??s just what he did.

�??Derek was fantastic tonight,�?? Paul Ohl said. �??Incredible, really. The challenge was met.�??

Here are the final places and points:

1. Derek Poundstone 119
  2. Zydrunas Savickas 118
  3. Sebastian Wenta 84.25
  4. Louis-Philippe Jean 83.5
  5. Travis Ortmayer 76.5
  6. Mikhail Koklyaev 76.5
  7. Mark Felix 67.5
  8. Stefan Solvi Peturrson 63.75
  9. Andrus Murumets 62
  10. Christian Savoie 42.5
  11. Arild Haugen 40.5
  12. Ervin Katona 36.5
  13. Dominic Filiou 25.5

Zydrunas Savickas won the Jon Pall Sigmarrson award for the most total weight lifted over the two-day competition - a contest that ran approximately seven hours the first day and eight hours the second day!

As on the first day, the stands were packed again today with hugely enthusiastic fans who seemed to enjoy every moment of this epic strongman contest, proving that IronMind�??s immediate confidence in Québec as the natural home for this competition was founded on a rock as solid as the one that Derek Poundstone lifted for the title.

[quote]threewhitelights wrote:
Kalle wrote:
Monopoly19 wrote:

Monopoly

LBSTONE
TEXAS STONEMAN
Shaw
Ostlund

(nee, phifster, etc)

The kevin nee should qualify this week (viking power challenge in norway), and I know phifster just competed in a pro-am for-fun show with 2 of the guys I train with. He was looking to be in good shape.

I see no reason we couldn’t have 4 americans in the finals.

also, we may end up seeing some of the other IFSA guys (misha, big-z) in this years WSM from what the rumors are… would lead to the best WSM in a while. I’m pegging LBstone to win it, even with BigZ in the mix, but I’d have to see the events before making a definite decision. [/quote]

I expect THE Kevin Nee to quailfy, good events for him. Last man standing DL, max axle, viking press, etc.

Plus Benni is competing there to Can’t wait to see what he does in the last man standing DL. He would be a good additon to WSM as well.

I wouldn’t doubt Phifster gets an invite.

With all the new talent coming I don’t doubt 4 Americans in the finals but with people like Misha and Big Z coming over (hopefully.) All the qualifers will be increasing hard to get out of.

Agreed. I really don’t want to get to excited about seeing all the athletes compete together, as it’s likely to fall apart. Still was great to see some matchups that we all have been wondering about. I think each qualifier for the finals this year are going to be brutal.

Thibs, did you go to this show?

Monopoly

Knee didn’t make it. He got very tired during the competition and had to pull out.

22 year old Arild Haugen won the event in front of strong men like Venta, Felix and Dymek. I think he is going to be a future WSM.