T Nation

Best Strongman Event in History!

This will actually be held something like 30 minutes away from where I live. Look at the list of competitors!

http://www.forticyr.com/fortissimus_ang.html

It’s going to be awesome. The events list is ridiculous. Maruisz is out, however, with injury which kind of sucks. There is a lot of volume in that contest and despite not being as strong as some of the field he would have been very competitive. I’d love to see Poundstone win it all.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
It’s going to be awesome. The events list is ridiculous. Maruisz is out, however, with injury which kind of sucks. There is a lot of volume in that contest and despite not being as strong as some of the field he would have been very competitive. I’d love to see Poundstone win it all.[/quote]

When did Marius get injured? That changes everything though. I was really looking forward to a Marius/Savickas meeting.

Now THAT’s an interesting event. Will it be televised?

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
It’s going to be awesome. The events list is ridiculous. Maruisz is out, however, with injury which kind of sucks. There is a lot of volume in that contest and despite not being as strong as some of the field he would have been very competitive. I’d love to see Poundstone win it all.

When did Marius get injured? That changes everything though. I was really looking forward to a Marius/Savickas meeting.[/quote]

They’ve met 4-5 times at the Arnold classic with Savickas winning every time.

Hardly the best in history man. Doesn’t have Kazmaier, Capes or Sigmarsson now does it?
I agree though, it looks quite exciting. I’d love to watch it, but I am pretty sure I won’t catch that program where I live(if it’s televised that is). Shame.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Donut62 wrote:

When did Marius get injured? That changes everything though. I was really looking forward to a Marius/Savickas meeting.[/quote]

From Ironmind:

[quote]Mariusz Out of Madison Square Garden, Fortissimus . . . and Into Surgery by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2008 IronMind

Mariusz Pudzianowski is going in for surgery �??at the end of May or beginning of June,�?? and given the required rehabilitation time, he will be forced out of some major competitions.

Mariusz Pudzianowski has won four World�??s Strongest Man titles, and this year he would like to add a record fifth title to his considerable collection. Hjalti Arnason photo.

�??I resign from participation in many international competitions and shows with regret, and I pay my respect to the organizers of these events,�?? read the official statement. �??I hope you will show an understanding of my choice and you will respect my decision.�??

Looking at a two-month rehabilitation program, Mariusz is scheduling the operation as soon as possible: �??I also want to finish my rehabilitation in time to be able to take part in the most important competition for me, which is the World�??s Strongest Man competition!�??

Mariusz had high praise for the Super Series contest at Madison Square Garden, telling IronMind, �??Madison Square Garden will be one of the most difficult contests in the U.S. . . . I think competition will be tough there!�?? Still, in terms of his priorities, there was little choice for Mariusz, who told IronMind, �??I have a chance and I want to win the fifth World’s Strongest Man title. I’ll be working hard for this to happen; I know it will be very difficult, but it’s my only goal this year!�??

Despite his plans to go under the knife, you can still count on seeing Mariusz Pudzianowski as part of the Super Series Madison Square Garden Grand Prix because he �??will come to New York for three days of promotion and as an honorary guest at the event in the WaMu Theater at MSG on June 21,�?? Super Series Managing Director Jesper Albansson told IronMind. �??Obviously we are sad that Mariusz is not competing, but we are happy that he takes responsibility for his own well-being. We have invited Mariusz to New York and the event in the WaMu Theater at Madison Square Garden so that the fans will be able to meet and greet him. We have a few exciting things lined up for him there.�??

More details are expected to follow. [/quote]

Looks to be an awesome event, I’d make the trip if I could. Pudizan or not it should still be a great show.

Thib, do you know Louis-Philippe Jean?

[quote]Power GnP wrote:
Looks to be an awesome event, I’d make the trip if I could. Pudizan or not it should still be a great show.

Thib, do you know Louis-Philippe Jean?

[/quote]

Yeah, he is a young guy with fantastic potential and is a great entertainer which seems to be important nowadays.

Mariusz placed second in polish edition of Dancing with the stars 2 weeks ago.

After that he had to get surgery. He said he uses painkillers from the beginning of the program.

Damn! With Marius competing I would have been at the event with my oldest son for sure! Now, the 8 hour drive seems a little less tempting…

Why Hugo Girard is not competing? He’s the best from Quebec with Filou.

Lets go Poundstone!

I heard that Mariusz didnt really get injured…its just that he lost a lot of weight when he did that Polish dancing with the stars…

who knows though, should be a good competition

[quote]SwD wrote:
Damn! With Marius competing I would have been at the event with my oldest son for sure! Now, the 8 hour drive seems a little less tempting…
[/quote]

Honestly, with the weights in this comp, and field of guys like Savickas, Koklyaev, Marumets, and Poundstone, I don’t think he would have finished in the top 3.

Louis Cyr is a legend of strength, I hope the Quebecers will pick up where he left off! I don’t know much about Louis-Phillipe Jean so I look forward to his performance.

I guess it’ll be on RDS at some point, right? That’d be awesome.

will this be televised?

Without a doubt, the deepest lineup ever. It is a shame that Mariuz will not be there. Take a minute to actually look at all the volume of lifts and events! The 9th event is a day all in itself!

Monopoly

THE EVENTS
14 475 lbs / 6584 kg

DAY ONE (5998 lbs / 2727 kg)

EVENT 1: THE SIGMARSSON WHEELS DEADLIFT (800 lbs / 364 kg)
A deadlift (19 inches from the ground) of the Sigmarsson wheels and axle 800 lbs (364 kg) for repetitions.
The winner determined by the highest number of repetitions.

EVENT 2: THE OVERHEAD POWER MEDLEY (1603 lbs / 728 kg)
Five (5) consecutive two arms overhead lifts with the winner decided by completing most lifts in the fastest time. All weights returned to ground under control. Throwing or dropping considered as «no lift».

The 275 lbs (125 kg) Louis Cyr long bar iron-cast barbell;
The 2 x 150 lbs (2x68 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbells�?? simultaneous clean and press or push press;
The 350 lbs (159 kg) Apollon Axle replica clean and press, push press or jerk. (Bar at 1,80 inch diameter);
The 370 lbs (168 kg) log clean and press, push press or jerk;
The 308 lbs (140 kg) Icelandic Stone clean and press or push press.
EVENT 3: THE GIANT BARRELS POWER YOKE (880 lbs / 400 kg)
Athletes to compete in PAIRS
Lift and carry of an 880 lbs (400 kg) double barrels�?? yoke for 30 meters (97,5 feet) with one set down allowed.
Fasted time for the complete course or furthest distance will determine the winner.

EVENT 4: THE LOUIS CYR CRUCIFIX HOLD (90 lbs / 41 kg)
Raising overhead two (2x45 lbs / 2x20,5 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbells, bringing them to the cucifix position and holding them out for time.
The winner determined by the best time.

EVENT 5: THE PYRAMID OF STRENGTH (2625 lbs / 1194 kg)
ROUND 1: Lifting and carrying a Husafell natural stone replica (400 lbs / 182 kg) for a distance of 3x20 meters (total of 60 m/196 feet) No drop allowed. First drop will result in distance measurement.
ROUND 2: Lifting and placing on podiums of decreasing heights, three (3) barrels with handles of a 400 lbs (182 kg), 425 lbs (193 kg) and 450 lbs (205 kg);
Bringing a 450 lbs (205 kg) weight and a 500 lbs (227 kg) weight, in that order, on top of a five (5) stairs Pyramid (Power stairs). Each stair 15 inches in height.
Barrels must be placed in upright position on each podium to be considered as «good lift» The winner determined by best total poundage and time.

DAY TWO (8477 lbs / 3857¼ kg)

EVENT 6: THE MONFERRAND BACK LOAD CARRY (1450 lbs / 660 kg)
Carrying on their back, one at the time, four (4) sand bags of 325 lbs (148 kg), 350 lbs (159 kg), 375 lbs (171 kg) and 400 lbs (182 kg) for 15 meters(49 feet) each, a total 60 m/196 feet. No drop allowed. First drop will result in distance measurement.
Fastest time for the complete course or furthest distance to determine the winner.

EVENT 7: THE HIP AND THIGH LIFT (1000 lbs / 455 kg)
Lifting from a half-squat position, with hip drive and hands on thighs, a load starting at 1000 lbs (455 kg) and increasing until one Rep Max.
Only single ply power suit allowed.

EVENT 8: THE LOUIS CYR POWER WALK (1350 lbs / 616 kg)
Lifting and carrying two (2) pairs of Louis Cyr handle-adapted spherical dumbbells of 325 lbs (148 kg) for 25 meters (81¼ feet) on the «out» course, and a 350 lbs (160 kg) for 25 meters (81¼ feet) on the «in» course.
No drop allowed for the «out» course.
One drop allowed for the «in» course.
Fastest time for the complete course or furthest distance to determine the winner.

EVENT 9: THE LOUIS CYR ONE ARM PRESS CHALLENGE (1085 lbs / 493¼ kg)
Six (6) consecutive one arm overhead lifts with the winner decided by completing most or all lifts in the fastest time. All dumbbells returned to ground under control. Throwing or dropping considered as «no lift».

With right AND left arm, press or push press a 150 lbs (68 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbell (clean to shoulder with one arm only);
Press or push press with one arm, a 175 lbs (80 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbell (clean to shoulder with one arm only);
Press or push press with one arm, a 190 lbs (86¼ kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbell (two arms clean allowed);
Press or push press with one arm, a 205 lbs (93 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbell (two arms clean allowed);
Press or push press with one arm, a 215 lbs (98 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbell (two arms clean allowed).
EVENT 10: THE CIRCLE OF STONES (3592 lbs / 1633 kg)
ROUND 1: The five (5) McGlashen (Atlas) Stones
Lifting and placing onto barrels of various heights five (5) stones of 250 lbs (114 kg), 275 lbs (125 kg), 300 lbs (136¼ kg), 325 lbs (148 kg) and 350 lbs (159 kg).
First three (3) stones must be lifted Basque style (mounted to the shoulder) and carried for 5 meters (16¼ feet), 3 meters (10 feet) and 2 meters (6¼ feet) onto placement spot.

ROUND 2: The five (5) natural stones of strength
Lifting and placing onto podiums of decreasing heights (from 50 inches to 38 inches), five natural stones of strength of 350 lbs (159 kg), 375 lbs (170,5 kg), 400 lbs (182 kg), 450 lbs (205 kg) and the 517 lbs (235 kg) called the 1883 Louis Cyr Stone.
The winner determined by the best time to load most stones for the two rounds.

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
Without a doubt, the deepest lineup ever. It is a shame that Mariuz will not be there. Take a minute to actually look at all the volume of lifts and events! The 9th event is a day all in itself!

Monopoly

THE EVENTS
14 475 lbs / 6584 kg

DAY ONE (5998 lbs / 2727 kg)

EVENT 1: THE SIGMARSSON WHEELS DEADLIFT (800 lbs / 364 kg)
A deadlift (19 inches from the ground) of the Sigmarsson wheels and axle 800 lbs (364 kg) for repetitions.
The winner determined by the highest number of repetitions.

EVENT 2: THE OVERHEAD POWER MEDLEY (1603 lbs / 728 kg)
Five (5) consecutive two arms overhead lifts with the winner decided by completing most lifts in the fastest time. All weights returned to ground under control. Throwing or dropping considered as «no lift».

The 275 lbs (125 kg) Louis Cyr long bar iron-cast barbell;
The 2 x 150 lbs (2x68 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbells�?? simultaneous clean and press or push press;
The 350 lbs (159 kg) Apollon Axle replica clean and press, push press or jerk. (Bar at 1,80 inch diameter);
The 370 lbs (168 kg) log clean and press, push press or jerk;
The 308 lbs (140 kg) Icelandic Stone clean and press or push press.
EVENT 3: THE GIANT BARRELS POWER YOKE (880 lbs / 400 kg)
Lift and carry of an 880 lbs (400 kg) double barrels�?? yoke for 30 meters (97,5 feet) with one set down allowed.
Fasted time for the complete course or furthest distance will determine the winner.

EVENT 4: THE LOUIS CYR CRUCIFIX HOLD (90 lbs / 41 kg)
Raising overhead two (2x45 lbs / 2x20,5 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbells, bringing them to the cucifix position and holding them out for time.
The winner determined by the best time.

EVENT 5: THE PYRAMID OF STRENGTH (2625 lbs / 1194 kg)
ROUND 1: Lifting and carrying a Husafell natural stone replica (400 lbs / 182 kg) for a distance of 3x20 meters (total of 60 m/196 feet) No drop allowed. First drop will result in distance measurement.
ROUND 2: Lifting and placing on podiums of decreasing heights, three (3) barrels with handles of a 400 lbs (182 kg), 425 lbs (193 kg) and 450 lbs (205 kg);
Bringing a 450 lbs (205 kg) weight and a 500 lbs (227 kg) weight, in that order, on top of a five (5) stairs Pyramid (Power stairs). Each stair 15 inches in height.
Barrels must be placed in upright position on each podium to be considered as «good lift» The winner determined by best total poundage and time.

DAY TWO (8477 lbs / 3857¼ kg)

EVENT 6: THE MONFERRAND BACK LOAD CARRY (1450 lbs / 660 kg)
Carrying on their back, one at the time, four (4) sand bags of 325 lbs (148 kg), 350 lbs (159 kg), 375 lbs (171 kg) and 400 lbs (182 kg) for 15 meters(49 feet) each, a total 60 m/196 feet. No drop allowed. First drop will result in distance measurement.

EVENT 7: THE HIP AND THIGH LIFT (1000 lbs / 455 kg)
Lifting from a half-squat position, with hip drive and hands on thighs, a load starting at 1000 lbs (455 kg) and increasing until one Rep Max.
Only single ply power suit allowed.

EVENT 8: THE LOUIS CYR POWER WALK (1350 lbs / 616 kg)
Lifting and carrying two (2) pairs of Louis Cyr handle-adapted spherical dumbbells of 325 lbs (148 kg) for 25 meters (81¼ feet) on the «out» course, and a 350 lbs (160 kg) for 25 meters (81¼ feet) on the «in» course.
No drop allowed for the «out» course.
One drop allowed for the «in» course.

EVENT 9: THE LOUIS CYR ONE ARM PRESS CHALLENGE (1085 lbs / 493¼ kg)
Six (6) consecutive one arm overhead lifts with the winner decided by completing most or all lifts in the fastest time. All dumbbells returned to ground under control. Throwing or dropping considered as «no lift».

With right AND left arm, press or push press a 150 lbs (68 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbell (clean to shoulder with one arm only);
Press or push press with one arm, a 175 lbs (80 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbell (clean to shoulder with one arm only);
Press or push press with one arm, a 190 lbs (86¼ kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbell (two arms clean allowed);
Press or push press with one arm, a 205 lbs (93 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbell (two arms clean allowed);
Press or push press with one arm, a 215 lbs (98 kg) Louis Cyr spherical dumbbell (two arms clean allowed).
EVENT 10: THE CIRCLE OF STONES (3592 lbs / 1633 kg)
ROUND 1: The five (5) McGlashen (Atlas) Stones
Lifting and placing onto barrels of various heights five (5) stones of 250 lbs (114 kg), 275 lbs (125 kg), 300 lbs (136¼ kg), 325 lbs (148 kg) and 350 lbs (159 kg).
First three (3) stones must be lifted Basque style (mounted to the shoulder) and carried for 5 meters (16¼ feet), 3 meters (10 feet) and 2 meters (6¼ feet) onto placement spot.

ROUND 2: The five (5) natural stones of strength
Lifting and placing onto podiums of decreasing heights (from 50 inches to 38 inches), five natural stones of strength of 350 lbs (159 kg), 375 lbs (170,5 kg), 400 lbs (182 kg), 450 lbs (205 kg) and the 517 lbs (235 kg) called the 1883 Louis Cyr Stone.
The winner determined by the best time to load most stones for the two rounds.

[/quote]

I think I just threw up in my mouth after reading that.

sweet. If someone finds a channel that this will be on please post it.

[quote]SwD wrote:

Why Hugo Girard is not competing? He’s the best from Quebec with Filou.

[/quote]

Looooooooooooong story. Here’s the Cliff notes version of it.

• Hugo is the president of the Quebec Strongmen Federation and normally all contests in the province must go through him. Paul Ohl (the organizer of Fortissimus) didn’t.

• Hugo suffered 2 Achilles tendon rupture around 4 years ago. So he hasn’t competed in 3 years. He is making a comeback this year and his training is going amazing! He is at 330 and 10.5% bodyfat!!!

• The organizer sent in the same invitation form to all he wished to invite to his contest. This invitation stated that the guy had to place in a world class or nation event within the past 3 years. Hugo received the letter and felt that he was being made fun of (see point 1 too) since because of his injury he had not competed in the past 3 years. In reality the organizer (who used to be Hugo’s trainer) wanted him at the contest, he just didn’t send a different invitation form.

• Hugo is dead set on regaining his top spot in the MET-Rx WSM. However since he has not competed in 3 years he will have to qualify again. So he will have to do the Quebec provincials, then the Canadian Nationals, the the Qualifying heat for the WSM world champs, then the WSM world champs. That’s a lot of work for someone who has not competed in 3 years! My guess is that he wants to focus on the WSM circuit.

I wonder if they’ll ever have a totally drug free version of this event.