T Nation

Best Strikers? (MMA)

Ok,everybody knows that Crocop is one of the best if not the best striker in the MMA game. Not only is his Boxing skills tight and organized,but extremely fast and powerful. Lets not forget his special weapon: His left leg.

My question is who are somr great strikers that are just as notable? I see people bring up Fedor and Hunt all the time but nobdoy comes close to Igor Volvachayn. This guys Right Arm (Trunk) is unreal. If you gusy never seen this little guy fight (hes a mere 5`7) then do yourself a favor and watch.

Igor hit like a truck, and was absolutely unreal in vale tudo rules because his bones were made out of steel and he could throw full power and not break his hand. He was not what I would deem an elite level striker, just a mean fucking brawler. In K-1 Hoost, and in Pride CC, showed that he couldn’t handle kicks well.

As far as the best striker in MMA, I think you have to look at Cro Cop and Anderson Silva. Hunt has not really shown to be all that devastating on his feet in MMA, and while he great creds from K-1 he isn’t steam rolling guys like Mirko and Silva did.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Igor hit like a truck, and was absolutely unreal in vale tudo rules because his bones were made out of steel and he could throw full power and not break his hand. He was not what I would deem an elite level striker, just a mean fucking brawler. In K-1 Hoost, and in Pride CC, showed that he couldn’t handle kicks well.

As far as the best striker in MMA, I think you have to look at Cro Cop and Anderson Silva. Hunt has really shown to be all that devastating on his feet in MMA, and while he great creds from K-1 he isn’t steam rolling guys like Mirko and Silva did.[/quote]

I dont understand why people give people Fedor and Wanderlei Silva to much credit for their striking ability. They look sloppy to me,dont you think? Igor might have not been a tight boxer like CC but he managed alright.

Fedor and Silva however…not so much. Fedors Ground and Pound are amazing and Silvas headstomps are great and all but as far as thier striking? Not so much. Good call on Anderson Silva. From what I can tell is that hes pretty fast and slick.

Yeah I say Crocop and Anderson Silva. I also like Melvin Manhoef.
Wanderlei I don’t think is a technical striker but his clinch is good. Yamamoto is the best striker who comes from a wrestling base, well that is what I think. Mamoru Yamaguchi is pretty good.
Sergei Kharitonov has some real good boxing skills. Fedor has some very good coaches, so I think he always comes prepared.

If Yamamato,your referring to “Kid” Then I couldnt agree more. Pound-for-Pound the most hardest hitting and explosive fighter out there.

[quote]mr_slick wrote:
If Yamamato,your referring to “Kid” Then I couldnt agree more. Pound-for-Pound the most hardest hitting and explosive fighter out there.[/quote]

He also has a great talent for leaving in submissions too long and punching past the point of the stoppages…

what? Chuck don’t get any love because he got KTFO? He’s still one of the best strikers IMO.

[quote]Naphta wrote:
mr_slick wrote:
If Yamamato,your referring to “Kid” Then I couldnt agree more. Pound-for-Pound the most hardest hitting and explosive fighter out there.

He also has a great talent for leaving in submissions too long and punching past the point of the stoppages…[/quote]

Yeah but he is a really nice guy in real life.

Fedor’s boxing is deceptive. It looks sloppy at times, but if you notice his accuracy is amazing, and the little angles he cuts are awesome. I think his strikes look kind of loopy based on his background. Sort of like Chuck liddel’s looping punches.

I’d also have to go with Crocop and Anderson Silva. Crocop is just an amazing heavy-weight kickboxer (his takedown defense is pretty sweet, too) and Silva is just so precise. Silva’s accuracy is ridiculous. He’s quite possibly the most efficient striker I’ve ever seen.

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:
Fedor’s boxing is deceptive. It looks sloppy at times, but if you notice his accuracy is amazing, and the little angles he cuts are awesome. I think his strikes look kind of loopy based on his background. Sort of like Chuck liddel’s looping punches.[/quote]

Fedor does stand very well, but the intent of his stand up is to get the guy to the ground and finish him there. At heart he is not a striker.

Yosuke Nishijima.

[quote]supermonkey wrote:
Yosuke Nishijima.[/quote]

…got dropped by Cyborg with a few knees. There is a lot more to MMA striking than punching well.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
fireplug52 wrote:
Fedor’s boxing is deceptive. It looks sloppy at times, but if you notice his accuracy is amazing, and the little angles he cuts are awesome. I think his strikes look kind of loopy based on his background. Sort of like Chuck liddel’s looping punches.

Fedor does stand very well, but the intent of his stand up is to get the guy to the ground and finish him there. At heart he is not a striker.[/quote]

Then again, doesn’t that classify him as a great striker for MMA? I kind of see what you mean, as in striking is not really his game, but he is able to use his striking to get the fight to where he wants it very effectively. Meh, then again maybe I am just hugging his nuts.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
supermonkey wrote:
Yosuke Nishijima.

…got dropped by Cyborg with a few knees. There is a lot more to MMA striking than punching well.[/quote]

Yeah i saw that fight. Was quite surprising to me at the time, but just goes to show. Cyborg rocked him big time.

While I like Igor, I wouldn’t agree that he’s the best by a long shot.

Anderson Silva has schooled everybody on the feet so I would say him. The first time I saw him was the big flying knee ko of Carlos Newton:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/carlos%2Bnewton%2Bv%2Banderson%2B/video/xhtoy_anderson-silva-bre-carlos-newton-ca

The next time was when he dominated England’s own Lee Murray. A very heavy handed boxer who handed Pele his only ko loss. Pele is a striker who went the distance with Chuck Liddell.

And yes, Kid Yamamoto is a dickhead.

I know he gets a lot of hate here and other places, and it’s definitely justified by his last few fights…but I’d throw Tim Sylvia in the mix.

Before he started fighting super conservative, the guy had a great standup game. His jabs were crisp and solid, he had a good cross and his leg kicks were great for a guy with his size/height.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
I know he gets a lot of hate here and other places, and it’s definitely justified by his last few fights…but I’d throw Tim Sylvia in the mix.

Before he started fighting super conservative, the guy had a great standup game. His jabs were crisp and solid, he had a good cross and his leg kicks were great for a guy with his size/height.[/quote]

No way man he’s a donkey!

Arlovski destroyed him in the first 2 fights (aside from the lucky punch). He hits hard and uses his reach well but would you really put him in the mix with the BEST?

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:

Before he started fighting super conservative, the guy had a great standup game. His jabs were crisp and solid, he had a good cross and his leg kicks were great for a guy with his size/height.

No way man he’s a donkey!

Arlovski destroyed him in the first 2 fights (aside from the lucky punch). He hits hard and uses his reach well but would you really put him in the mix with the BEST?[/quote]

On that note, Arlovski can be a great striker if he wants to. Or he can pretty much suck if he wants to.

Giant Silva?

[quote]Naphta wrote:
mr_slick wrote:

He also has a great talent for leaving in submissions too long and punching past the point of the stoppages…[/quote]

You say taht like its a abd thing? Btw,I know I stated MMA only but Id like you guys to take a look at Buakaw. over by the K-1 stable. If he made a transition to MMA I think he would dominate the Lightweight (?) division. More so than Kid.

[quote]AdamC wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
supermonkey wrote:
Anderson Silva has schooled everybody on the feet so I would say him. The first time I saw him was the big flying knee ko of Carlos Newton:

[/quote]
Not to nitpick but I think that Chonan gave him a run for his money in the stand-up. You could tell that the leg kicks Chonan was landing were really slowing Silva down.