Best Squat Suit for Bodybuilder Physique?

He didn’t ask for financial advice. He asked about squat suits. Quit derailing the thread.

iForce Dave, I have a pair of the inzer powerpants.

If you do buy them, be ware that it is totally NOT like squatting raw. That is the closest I have come to using gear but once I broke them in ( a whole another challenge in itself, but just to warn you, it will be impossible to put them on out of the box by yourself…) and actually managed to squat in them, I finally understood what all the WSBB videos were all about - completely different from my raw form.

Definitely a great overloading tool, because the only time I (think) I hit parallel with them was with 405 on the bar and trying to hit depth even with that weight was a ridiculous struggle lol.

I don’t have to much experience with gear yet, but Metal Pro Briefs were pretty easy to me to learn. If you have a bodybuilder physique you will need to get them to fit your legs most likely and have them tailored in at the hips. I had the same problem.

Get some briefs to train in first, from there you can decide if you want to go for a suit. If you go with the same brand (especially metal) it is pretty easy to figure out what size suit you need if you already have some briefs that fit.

[quote]alocubano1110 wrote:
Yeah, we’re all in the powerlifting forum but it doesn’t mean we all support geared lifting. You can be a raw powerlifter and dislike gear. DIFFERING OPINIONS WILL HAPPEN AND STUFF[/quote]
I’m a raw lifter.
I far prefer, even as a fan, raw lifting.
I would be very unlikely to go to a geared meet as a fan.
But as far as differing opinions, how bout not clicking on a squat suit thread just to talk anonymous shit?
As a long time lurker it’s this kind of douchery that is killing this forum.

[quote]alocubano1110 wrote:
Yeah, we’re all in the powerlifting forum but it doesn’t mean we all support geared lifting. You can be a raw powerlifter and dislike gear. DIFFERING OPINIONS WILL HAPPEN AND STUFF[/quote]

You can dislike gear all you want, but it wasn’t what this topic was about. The guy wasn’t asking “should I use a squat suit”, he was asking which squat suit he should use.

I don’t understand how people have grown up with this entitled idea that their opinion is valuable and warranted in all situations. If you want to bash gear, make your own thread.

I would suggest that you think AGAIN about using powerlifting gear to become a better BODYBUILDER.

Now if you want to venture into PLing at some point, then it might be valid point. Still I would recommend that you start with a good pair of knee wraps if you believe gear would help you grow more muscle (doubtful in my opinion).

[quote]infinite_shore wrote:
I would suggest that you think AGAIN about using powerlifting gear to become a better BODYBUILDER.

Now if you want to venture into PLing at some point, then it might be valid point. Still I would recommend that you start with a good pair of knee wraps if you believe gear would help you grow more muscle (doubtful in my opinion).[/quote]

Why can’t he use gear from time to time? Ronnie did at least once and he was a pretty okay bodybuilder.

Now if you want to venture into PLing at some point, then it might be valid point. Still I would recommend that you start with a good pair of knee wraps if you believe gear would help you grow more muscle (doubtful in my opinion).[/quote]

He said he really wanted to try out a squat suit. He didn’t say he wanted to do it to grow more muscle or be a better bodybuilder.

FFS people.

I am a raw powerlifter and I did the same thing. I wanted to try out a squat suit just to try out a squat suit. I got an Inzer Champion just like the TC because it was dirt cheap and gave me something of a perspective of what geared lifters do.

TC, I am sorry I can’t be of much help. I was able to get the champion on, but it was a struggle. I don’t have your proportions though, haha.

[quote]DaveForner wrote:

Why can’t he use gear from time to time? Ronnie did at least once and he was a pretty okay bodybuilder.[/quote]

He can do whatever he wants with his time. However, his assumption that it will help him get bigger (he says he is a BBer after all) is just wrong I think. Or at least a very inefficient use of his time and energy.

So what that Ronnie squatted in a suit in one of his vids? Doesn’t tell us anything useful. You really think Ronnie got his big legs from squatting in a suit? He probably did it for the video (showing off) and because his affinity to PLing (he competed in it when he was younger).

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
He said he really wanted to try out a squat suit. He didn’t say he wanted to do it to grow more muscle or be a better bodybuilder.
[/quote]

True, but it isn’t a horrible assumption on my part, eh?

If he wants to do it for fun, then simply ignore what I said.

[quote]DaveForner wrote:

Why can’t he use gear from time to time? Ronnie did at least once and he was a pretty okay bodybuilder.[/quote]

He can do whatever he wants with his time. However, his assumption that it will help him get bigger (he says he is a BBer after all) is just wrong I think. Or at least a very inefficient use of his time and energy.

So what that Ronnie squatted in a suit in one of his vids? Doesn’t tell us anything useful. You really think Ronnie got his big legs from squatting in a suit? He probably did it for the video (showing off) and because his affinity to PLing (he competed in it when he was younger).[/quote]
The largest bodybulider of the recent era started out powerlifting and used a squat suit, yet in your opinion that tells us nothing useful? You’re just arguing cause you like to type. Your logic makes no sense it’s a contradiction on it’s face. Do ya’ll even read your own opinions?

[quote]knotginuwhine wrote:

[quote]DaveForner wrote:

So what that Ronnie squatted in a suit in one of his vids? Doesn’t tell us anything useful. You really think Ronnie got his big legs from squatting in a suit? He probably did it for the video (showing off) and because his affinity to PLing (he competed in it when he was younger).[/quote]
The largest bodybulider of the recent era started out powerlifting and used a squat suit, yet in your opinion that tells us nothing useful? You’re just arguing cause you like to type. Your logic makes no sense it’s a contradiction on it’s face. Do ya’ll even read your own opinions?[/quote]

Haha

The best suit I’ve used is a Titan Centurion. I found it easy(er) to get on and easy(er) to learn. If your legs are a problem, get a larger size and tighten the hips. I periodically take mine in as it stretches.

It’s fun to try but like another poster mentioned, it’s not entirely like raw squatting and you can get pretty beat up. I’ve started mostly training raw and putting on a suit once a month or less. I find the heavier weights I move wearing a suit can make my strength decline if I hammer away with it for weeks/months on end. Plus you rip the crap out of your legs.

Try it out and have fun. A suit is nowhere near as hard to learn as a shirt.

[quote]knotginuwhine wrote:

[quote]OBoile wrote:

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:
Not trying to troll, just curious…

What is the purpose of someone interested in bodybuilding to use gear?

(sorry if im derailing the thread)[/quote]
I’m kind of curious about this myself. Doing reps in gear wouldn’t be fun.[/quote]

Not a bodybuilder and I don’t use gear, but I can hypothesize several reasons

1. Fun

2. Added variety

3. Safety for extreme weight

4. Accommodating resistance I think you call it, you know like when Shawn frankl uses astronomical weights with reverse bands so he can feel what 1100 is like on his back making 1000 easier, does that make sense? Like say this dude is for real and he’s 5’11" 250 w a 32" waist, a 500 raw squat working weight is well within contemplation, so say he could work up to 700 in gear, in a gaining phase, likely 500 will seem easier leading to long term bigger gains.
    If there are any other reasons I’d love to know from the OP his logic, specially if its else.
    It’s always fun to lift and fun to dabble.[/quote]

5. I guess, although I wouldn’t think of it as fun, but to each their own.

6. I can think of a lot more ways to add variety that would be less of a hassle.

7. Wearing a suit is certainly not safer. Any “protection” it gives is more than offset by the extra weight on your back.

8. Bands/chains would be easier and far less painful.

Can we please stop? This could actually be a good thread. Lets pretend for a second that the TC is a fully functional adult, capable of making big boy grown up decisions, and that it’s not our job to tell him how he should train, but instead help him find the suit he wants.

Can we please stop? This could actually be a good thread. Lets pretend for a second that the TC is a fully functional adult, capable of making big boy grown up decisions, and that it’s not our job to tell him how he should train, but instead help him find the suit he wants.[/quote]
To be clear, I’m not telling him anything. Rather I’m asking, not to judge, but because I’m curious.

[quote]OBoile wrote:

Can we please stop? This could actually be a good thread. Lets pretend for a second that the TC is a fully functional adult, capable of making big boy grown up decisions, and that it’s not our job to tell him how he should train, but instead help him find the suit he wants.[/quote]
To be clear, I’m not telling him anything. Rather I’m asking, not to judge, but because I’m curious.[/quote]

I don’t think he meant you. I think it was the other guy :slight_smile:

OP had legit question.

thread went full retard.

To the OP-

I think you should get a pair of LOOS briefs first before a suit. The primary reason for this is that briefs are in general a bit easier to get broken in and to use than a full squat suit. The other reason is that you can potentially get them on and fit properly by yourself, a squat suit is (generally) tighter and also has straps that are a super pain in the ass to pull up by yourself sometimes.

But basically just think learning curve: if your goal is to experiment and maybe get something out of it, I’d suggest loose briefs because the learning curve is smaller and more gradual. Then you can either buy tighter briefs or a full suit to wear over your briefs.

I suggest loose briefs specifically because even “loose” briefs are going to be very very tight to you, because you are un-used to the gear at all. I know this will probably draw some ire from some folks in his forum, but if you are training alone–or without any experienced geared powerlifters around to help coach or help get you in and out of gear–it is much safer and easier to get a loose brief that won’t give you super amounts of carryover just to learn the damn thing than it will be to get what the proper “powerlifting fit” sized brief or suit would be and have it impossible to use or put on by yourself.

Have fun with it man, if you like it get a better one or a suit, if not, junk it and do your thing raw. Whatever

I too am interested in getting briefs or a squat suit for overload.

OP, did you try any gear yet?

I am thinking about double layer power pants because of the price.