Best sportscar under $33,000

“Do they sell the Lotus Exige or Elise out there? That would be within your budget and a real mid-engined sports car, not very practical mind you but then sportscars aren’t about practicality”

yes they do! Just read the review a few weeks ago and its all about performance but is “bare bones”. There is not one bit of comfort in that car. In fact there are parts of the chassis (I think) that are not even covered up inside the cabin!

I don’t know if I could deal with that on an everyday basis, especially because I have a big, soft-riding, comfortable Dodge Intrepid.

Lotus might be more of a weekend car.

I would go with an EVO. They handle great and are fast to boot.

Get the RX-8. I love rotary engines. Only three moving parts in the entire engine; no valves, camshafts, pistons, connecting rods etc. Just two rotors and the eccentric shaft.

Sonny, don’t you live in NYC? Why spend the money on a nice sports car when you live in NYC? If you were out in Cali that would be a different story. From what I know, the Lotus Elise is only available in Europe and not N.America, unless that news is new. I’m more of a motorcycle person myself, so I’m just thinking of all the lovely machines you can get with that cash. The new Cagiva is absolutely stunning.

“Sonny, don’t you live in NYC?”

Yup.

But…

when I get a job in Jersey and/or my Master’s, whichever comes first, I am SO fucking out of here.(that’s why I’m plannning on buying the car in about 2 yrs)

And yes, I would never buy a performance car if I lived in NYC unless there was a good excuse to have one: ie commuting out of the city for work instead of INTO the city or if I had a weekend house to drive to.

As far as everyday driving in NYC? Fuck no! Though there are people who do that, which is why I will never buy a used car in NYC, of any kind/brand etc

Hold out and get a new GTO when they come out, sweet ride only bout 30-35 grand

VW R32

-Fast (240HP 3.2 V6), AWD and very rare. Depreciation will be glacial.

…not sure what the exact list price but I believe you can get one for around 30-31K

The wrx sti tranny is much stronger than the wrx’s. And if it comes between the evo and sti look at this. You might not want to go the audi bmw route just because they costs a shit load to work on. I know from owning them. The S2K would be nice also. The best thing you can go it go to car forums of wrx mustang etc. and see what kind of problems come up with the cars etc. Just go to google and type “wrx forums” Good luck.

STI EVO
1.larger 2.5 4cyl “boxer” engine VS smaller 2.0 4cyl in-line engine
2.More power…300@6,000rpm VS 271@ 6,500rpm
3.More torque 300 lb.ft@4,000rpm VS 273lb.ft@3,500rpm
4.Light weight aluminum alloy engine VS cast iron block,aluminum alloy cylinder head
5.Active valve control system (AVCS) VS standard DOHC design
6.6 speed tranny VS 5 speed tranny
7.driver controlled center diff (DCCD) all wheel drive 35/65 front to rear power split VS 50/50 power split
8.suretrac limited slip front diff VS open front diff
9.tighter curb to curb turning radius 35.4ft VS 38.7ft
10.larger diameter front disc brakes 12.7 VS 12.65
11.larger diameter rear disc brakes 12.3 VS 11.8
12.larger fuel capacity 15.9 VS 14.0 gallons
13.standard rear spoiler VS optional rear spoiler
14.bumpers STI 5mph VS EVO 2.5mph
15.RPM indicator with warning light and buzzer VS N/A on EVO
16.Ambient Temp guage VS N/A on EVO
17.Cruise control VS N/A on EVO
18.Side impact (SRS) VS N/A on EVO
19.height adj.drivers seat VS N/A on EVO
20.safety brake pedal system that is designed to yield during a serious frontal impact in order to help reduce injury to the drivers lower limbs VS N/A on EVO
21.Semi auto air conditioning system VS manual air on EVO
(All this info is off the Sti dealer’s CD …it’s just fact’s)

Creed has got it right! The Lotus Elise is the ULTIMATE sports car. It will be slightly more than $33,000, but well worth it. I’ve been on the waiting list for over a year. I should get mine in August. The first ones are expected to arrive next month. I’ve driven then a bunch of times and there is nothing like it. It is commonly called the Greatest Sports Car in the World by publications. It was placed in the T1 category by the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA). The other cars in that category; the 500hp Viper, The Porsche GT3, the Vette Z06, and the Maserati coupe. Nope bad company considering they all cost between $20,000 and $70,000 more than the Elise. It’s got to tell you something.

Get the BMW.

M3 is perfection

if you want the truest sports car ever made get a 3d generation RX-7. The RX-8 is no comparison but a very nice daily driver. And lastly, would you seriously consider getting a mustang? there are about 800 billion of those even homeless people have one extra somewhere. you get my point its an OK car especially for the money but…

The M3 for sure. Not only will the M3 hold the value for years to come if you take care of it (unlike the new mustang that will lose 7 grand when you drive it off the lot), it’s more comfy, gets better milage, won’t break down, will go super quick on the track or back roads, will get you looks that only a bimmer can get, and it’s a 50k sports car for 30k. Best of luck with whatever you go for

reggie

Lots of great opinions here. Cool.

I do have a lot of time to think about this, since I’m not buying right now. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not!

I do like the fact that the M3 is a regular sized car and has a smooth ride, things that I would sacrifice in almost all the others. It’s the best of both worlds, as Racecar so ably pointed out.

Plus its got the name!

Snook:
“And lastly, would you seriously consider getting a mustang? there are about 800 billion of those even homeless people have one extra somewhere. you get my point its an OK car especially for the money but…”

-Ha ha! Homeless people. Funny stuff. So I guess you want a car that’s a little more harder to find, maybe a sexier brand than plain old “Ford”.

Something with a bit more cachet, right?

Chotto:

Will this be your everyday car? I presume the answer is no. If not, when will you be driving it? Weekends, only in the spring and summer, etc.

Just curious

Oh, and what other cars do you drive?

Peteman: I don’t fit into a Miata! Those things are tiny and kind of ugly

Peteman: I don’t fit into a Miata! Those things are tiny and kind of ugly

Chotto:

Will this be your everyday car? I presume the answer is no. If not, when will you be driving it? Weekends, only in the spring and summer, etc.

Just curious

Oh, and what other cars do you drive?

Lots of great opinions here. Cool.

I do have a lot of time to think about this, since I’m not buying right now. Not sure if that’s a good thing or not!

I do like the fact that the M3 is a regular sized car and has a smooth ride, things that I would sacrifice in almost all the others. It’s the best of both worlds, as Racecar so ably pointed out.

Plus its got the name!

For me…

Either the REX or the EVO…

I wouldn’t mind a Lotus Elise too… can you throw one of those in for me for free!!! Make it 'blu…