T Nation

Best Sports Moment?

What’s your best sports moment of the past 20 years or so?

2:40 - 4:13

This may be cheesy, but hands down my best sports moment was when Maurice Cheeks(NBA basketball coach) helped a young girl through the national anthem when she forgot the words. It was a few years ago but I’ll never forget it and the look of gratitude on the girls face is worth a million bucks. It’s on youtube but I can’t post it at work.

As a Jordan fan, his Flu Game performance.

Not that I consider it a sport, but Secretariat at the Belmont gives me chills everytime, what domination.

Fuckin’ Mike Parsons’ 70 ft wave ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMKd4ZgHTbk

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
This may be cheesy, but hands down my best sports moment was when Maurice Cheeks(NBA basketball coach) helped a young girl through the national anthem when she forgot the words. It was a few years ago but I’ll never forget it and the look of gratitude on the girls face is worth a million bucks. It’s on youtube but I can’t post it at work.

[/quote]

Yeah, I remember that too. That was a nice, heart-warming moment.

Sometime’s the best moments in sports happen before and after the playing…

Like any Mike Tyson interview/press conference moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_q9Z1xnFGk

Big Baseball fan…not a Dodgers fan but Kirk Gibson’s home run in the '88 series still makes me think “How the fuck did he do that?”

[quote]101airborne wrote:
What’s your best sports moment of the past 20 years or so?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg9lCvAvBdg [/quote]

As a fellow Gaucho (Jason Lezak graduated from UCSB) I have to say this was one of the best sporting moments I have ever seen. Overcoming a thought to be insurmountable lead against one of the best swimmers in the world is an incredible feat, not to mention he did it on the world’s biggest stage (Olympics) and as a so called “old swimmer”.

The fact that this moment can make me cheer for a sport that I normally wouldn’t at all care about shows it’s true power, as all athletes can respect the truly amazing feat.

The fact that the French were quoted as saying that they would “crush” the Americans in this event acts as icing on the cake. Come on, seriously? when have the French ever crushed anybody?

Arkle vs Millhouse 1964 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Desert Orchid 1989 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Seriously, the most defining play of that whole game, set like 10 super bowl records, and single-handedly put up a 14-point swing. It also ended what? A 13-year tie at 5 wins between the Cowboys and 49’ers (and 3-year 3-way tie after the Steelers took 2005)?

People like to argue that Santonio Holmes’ game-winning catch was the best play of that game but really… Ben Roethlisberger DOES deserve some reputation as a good quarterback, and Santonio Holmes is a great receiver. Toe-tap touchdown passes happen every few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28GAMybBj-s

ok fine, maybe not… but this was on of the greatest games I’ve ever watched and I need something to get me pumped up for this national championship game

Not necessarily the best but these two moments get my eyes watering:

Specifically 2:00 mark:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:

[quote]bond james bond wrote:
This may be cheesy, but hands down my best sports moment was when Maurice Cheeks(NBA basketball coach) helped a young girl through the national anthem when she forgot the words. It was a few years ago but I’ll never forget it and the look of gratitude on the girls face is worth a million bucks. It’s on youtube but I can’t post it at work.

[/quote]

Yeah, I remember that too. That was a nice, heart-warming moment.

Sometime’s the best moments in sports happen before and after the playing…[/quote]

That’s fucking fantastic, truly stand up of him to do that.

A few of my favorites come to mind:

The Phillies winning the 2008 World Series.

The Titans Music City Miracle with that lateral pass to beat Buffalo.

The Phillies making the playoffs for the first time in 14 years in 2007.

Mike Tyson getting manhandled by Buster Douglas - I was still young but I thought Tyson was invincible at that point.

One of my favorites is Steve Atwater’s hit on Christian Okoye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yScioc_dmXg

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
…Mike Tyson getting manhandled by Buster Douglas… I thought Tyson was invincible at that point.[/quote]

I did too, Lanky. My world was somewhat shattered by that fight. I loved everything about Tyson back then.
Back then!

A heart felt National Anthem by Marvin Gaye

Gig em Ags. Junk like this just gets me freaking geeked up to play some football.