Best Speadsheet or App to Track?

going to start the 531 beach body challenge…but does anyone know a good speadsheet or app i can track with?

There are no authorized apps. I suggest building a simple excel spreadsheet and emailing it to yourself. Use the ‘CEILING’ function or ‘ROUND’ function to avoid decimals. Track only your main lifts and maybe one supplemental lift like rows so your spreadsheet doesn’t look like a jumbled mess.

Ye olde Calculator, pen and journal combo has not failed me yet.

[quote]Mattyb83 wrote:
Ye olde Calculator, pen and journal combo has not failed me yet. [/quote]i guess that or build my own…

I used to use an ipod app that was pretty good. But then I installed the spider web app and lost all of my recorded date.

Since then, I have put together an excel spreadsheet which seems to work for me and requires a little work. I have a windows tablet so when I get my next set, I can see how I lifted on previous attempts with that weight (and make sure I am not wimping out!)

There is an example of a spreadsheet in the back of the 5/3/1 2nd edition book. I copied it down onto an excel sheet and just move things around based on whatever template I’m using. It is easy to do and you can use it for any 5/3/1 template. I usually use a different sheet for each day.

Google 5 3 1 spreadsheet. I found several that are pretty solid. Been using one for 5 months now that comes with various graphs to track improvement.

[quote]Tex Walther wrote:
Google 5 3 1 spreadsheet. I found several that are pretty solid. Been using one for 5 months now that comes with various graphs to track improvement.[/quote]

+1

[quote]ultralow wrote:
going to start the 531 beach body challenge…but does anyone know a good speadsheet or app i can track with?[/quote]

I started using Big Lifts 2 on Android. So far (1 day) does the job. I like that it goes past week 4.

[quote]JoeyWaters wrote:
There are no authorized apps. [/quote]

Very important point right there. There are apps but the authors of them are screwing Jim, don’t use them.

I have an Excel sheet and Office 2010 that I calculate then I write what I need into my training log, just a good ole’ notebook. I like to use =MROUND(TM*%,5) (i.e. =MROUND(A2*.90,5). Note that is an Excel 2010 only function. Otherwise use =CEILING or =FLOOR; I believe FLOOR would underestimate or be more conservative.

grigaitis.net/5/3/1/

I have one that somebody made on a website PM if you want me to send you the excel sheet. It goes throughout the whole year. I attached an image so you can see what it looks like.

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:

[quote]JoeyWaters wrote:

Very important point right there. There are apps but the authors of them are screwing Jim, don’t use them.

I have an Excel sheet and Office 2010 that I calculate then I write what I need into my training log, just a good ole’ notebook. I like to use =MROUND(TM*%,5) (i.e. =MROUND(A2*.90,5). Note that is an Excel 2010 only function. Otherwise use =CEILING or =FLOOR; I believe FLOOR would underestimate or be more conservative.

[/quote]

Give me a freaking break, what’s the difference between using an app and giving someone a formula, It’s not like the app has the book. It’s just easier to quickly look at when you are mid set. Whether your write down what your excel spread sheet has in a journal or you join the 21st century and look at an app, doesn’t make a difference.

[quote]dchris wrote:

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:

[quote]JoeyWaters wrote:

[/quote]

Give me a freaking break, what’s the difference between using an app and giving someone a formula, It’s not like the app has the book. It’s just easier to quickly look at when you are mid set. Whether your write down what your excel spread sheet has in a journal or you join the 21st century and look at an app, doesn’t make a difference.
[/quote]

Your ignorance is amazing.

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:
Very important point right there. There are apps but the authors of them are screwing Jim, don’t use them.[/quote]

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Your ignorance is amazing. [/quote]

I’m assuming you are referencing those who charge?? Obviously they are profiting off your program. Only someone brain dead would pay for them. However, most of them, including the one I referenced, are free. They just provide a convenient way to track your workout. If you have a problem with that, I apologize and will resort to using excel on my phone.

Google spreadsheets is easier to use if you’re on an Android.

Set it up any way you want. Same principle as using a pencil, paper, and calculator for your training notebook. Some people have made some versions you could find (all free). But I found it easier to do it myself since most of those free ones still require you to tweak to fit your personal convenience.

As far as an “app”? Never looked at them. Probably because I knew there wasn’t an “official” one. If there were, I probably would have bought it since I’m lazy like that. It’s sort of why I love the 5/3/1 books. Jim did most of the thinking so I don’t have to.

I like the guys who need a bench to do their work and another for their phone to rest on

[quote]dchris wrote:

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:
Very important point right there. There are apps but the authors of them are screwing Jim, don’t use them.[/quote]

I’m assuming you are referencing those who charge?? Obviously they are profiting off your program. Only someone brain dead would pay for them. However, most of them, including the one I referenced, are free. They just provide a convenient way to track your workout. If you have a problem with that, I apologize and will resort to using excel on my phone.
[/quote]

dchris, take a second to think this through. An unauthorized app allows you to follow the program without actually paying for the book.

Yes it’s convenient. It’s also piracy.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

dchris, take a second to think this through. An unauthorized app allows you to follow the program without actually paying for the book.

Yes it’s convenient. It’s also piracy. [/quote]

Without starting Pirate Bay Is Down Part 2, I get what you’re saying and mean no offense to Jim. I just don’t see it as piracy, though, for 2 reasons (both under the assumption, the app is free).

1. Jim isn’t selling an app that I am getting somewhere else for free.
  2. Using a spreadsheet is no different. If I make a spreadsheet and put it on my phone it’s the same thing, just formatted to read/work a bit better.

Honestly, if it’s problem, I’ll buy an extra copy of the book and give it away to the next mirror-muscle-kid I see at the gym to make up for my sins.

[quote]dchris wrote:

[quote]Jaynick77 wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t argue with anyone who doesn’t have a dog in the fight. One must have perspective.

In short: Do whatever you believe is right. I can only police myself and my kids and teach them to value, appreciate and admire the work of authors, musicians, etc. Many don’t feel this way and that is their beliefs and how they were raised.

[quote]dchris wrote:
If I make a spreadsheet and put it on my phone it’s the same thing, just formatted to read/work a bit better. [/quote]

The point being made is that people will just Google the app and use it without having paid for the book, which is screwing Jim over.

If you personally actually paid for the book and then make your own spreadsheet or use an app then whatever.