Best Singer I've Ever Heard!

[quote]nephorm wrote:
rainjack wrote:
I think it is precisely the juxtaposition of what he looks like, where he’s from, and his complete and utter lack of confidence against his raw, visceral voice that have people clammering over him.

True, plus the fact that the judges appear to doubt him at first, and the cinematography at least makes it appear as though they are moved by his performance as it progresses and they are slowly convinced of his ability.[/quote]

That’s the part that I liked the best. Watching each judge write him off before he even started.

His performance gave me shivers and that doesn’t happen very often.

From what I’ve read about him, he does perform for some opera house in England. I know that’s incredibly vague. So, he has atleast had some training.

But like everyone else has said, it’s the passion in his performance that moves people.

I think he made the female judge moist.

Wow. Very uplifting.

I used to live in NYC and saw some great opera over the years. This guy makes you want to stand up and cheer for him. Never felt like that at an opera.

Excellent.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
rainjack wrote:
I think it is precisely the juxtaposition of what he looks like, where he’s from, and his complete and utter lack of confidence against his raw, visceral voice that have people clammering over him.

When he sings - you can see him go to that place inside him where he says he feels safe.

Sure - lot’s of people can sing better than him. But people feel like they know him, and every time he sings they are reminded of how much he feels when he sings.

I am not an opera guy. But he moved me. i can’t say he is the greatest I have ever heard - but I don’t know that that is a prerequisite for touching people.

And I don’t think you can teach that, either.

Agreed.

I enjoy guitar music. Joe Satriani is probably my favourite because he blends technical proficiency with raw emotion that results in engaging songs. There are plenty of neoclassical virtuosos that are probably technically better than him, but the inhuman aspect to their music renders it pretty darn boring.

I watched a Pavarotti version of the song on youtube, and while it was impressive, it really didn’t have the same “oomph” because it felt robotic and soulless. Great set of pipes, but it really just seemed like he was going through the motions.

I dunno, I just don’t see the point in tearing him down for receiving accolades simply because there are people better than he is.
[/quote]

Hey Ronsauce:

I’m with you on the Satriani thing. Been listening to him for years.

FYI I just saw a show on tv the other night of him live at the Grove in LA. Hour and a half show with no BS. To top it off it was in HD!!!

[quote]fitfreak wrote:
Hey Ronsauce:

FYI I just saw a show on tv the other night of him live at the Grove in LA. Hour and a half show with no BS. To top it off it was in HD!!!
[/quote]

Seriously eh? Man, I would’ve loved to have seen that. I saw him live a few years ago when Engines of Creation came out. Amazing show, and I definitely would love to see him again; it was just a good, ol’ time where you could sit in your seat and enjoy the music.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
fitfreak wrote:
Hey Ronsauce:

Seriously eh? Man, I would’ve loved to have seen that. I saw him live a few years ago when Engines of Creation came out. Amazing show, and I definitely would love to see him again; it was just a good, ol’ time where you could sit in your seat and enjoy the music.[/quote]

Don’t get me started on Satriani…I got to see him for the first time a few months ago, actually. My friends convinced me to shell out $60 bucks to go into Boston to watch the G3 concert at the Orpheum, starring him, Paul Gilbert, and John Petrucci. I had my doubts as to whether or not I would enjoy it, as I didn’t know a lot of his (or Gilbert’s/Petrucci’s) work, but it completely blew my mind.

Definitely good stuff there.

Nice avatar with Buckethead there conner. That boy can shred.