Best Singer I've Ever Heard!

There’s not a lot to say about this…just listen and enjoy

Elliot

Looking at the guy and your post I thought it was going to be sarcastic…

that was insane

[quote]yanksta wrote:

that was insane[/quote]

you realize he was lip synching, right? i think that was a joke.

[quote]elliotnewman1 wrote:

There’s not a lot to say about this…just listen and enjoy

Elliot[/quote]

good but nothing really different from most other male opera singers out there.

still it sent shivers down my spine.

[quote]yanksta wrote:

that was insane[/quote]

Ha i know. I usually hate opera, but the guys been on TV in the UK all week and the nations gone crazy for him!

Not the best… he’s no Pavarotti. But he definitely has talent and should get professional training.

that was awesome… definitly very good

http://www.filecabi.net/video/paul-potts-final.html

He won the whole show.

Pretty sure he wasn’t lip-synching.

I got choked up listening to him. He is raw, but he is good.

Now he gets to perform in front of the Queen lucky him
Piers Morgan and Simon Cowell rule

much better than manowar:

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I got choked up listening to him. He is raw, but he is good.

[/quote]

Fuck man, same here. It’s witchcraft I tell ya.

What is wrong with all the people on youtube? People are seriously bitching because this guy isn’t as good as Pavarotti. What an asinine thing to complain about concerning a guy on a television show for amateurs.

Christ, he sounded better than any of the American Idol winners I’ve heard, and again, he’s not a pro. Are some people that fucking snobbish that they simply can’t pay respect when it’s due?

Great clip. I posted a link to it a few days ago.

The guy has DEFINITELY had lessons, you don’t just decide to sing opera and sound like that.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
What is wrong with all the people on youtube? People are seriously bitching because this guy isn’t as good as Pavarotti. What an asinine thing to complain about concerning a guy on a television show for amateurs.
[/quote]

The reason they feel the need to comment is that so many people are praising him as though he is superb not just for Britain’s Got Talent/American Idol, but as though he is also excellent in opera.

He has great talent. A gift. The juxtaposition of a somewhat homely cell phone salesman Welshman with that kind of voice evinces a lot of emotion, as does “Nessun Dorma,” which is kind of an opera staple.

But, as rainjack said, he is raw. He needs more training. And there are lots and lots of people playing bit parts in opera houses who are just as good if not better… they just weren’t smart enough to go on a show that usually hosts pop nonsense.

I think it is precisely the juxtaposition of what he looks like, where he’s from, and his complete and utter lack of confidence against his raw, visceral voice that have people clammering over him.

When he sings - you can see him go to that place inside him where he says he feels safe.

Sure - lot’s of people can sing better than him. But people feel like they know him, and every time he sings they are reminded of how much he feels when he sings.

I am not an opera guy. But he moved me. i can’t say he is the greatest I have ever heard - but I don’t know that that is a prerequisite for touching people.

And I don’t think you can teach that, either.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I think it is precisely the juxtaposition of what he looks like, where he’s from, and his complete and utter lack of confidence against his raw, visceral voice that have people clammering over him.

When he sings - you can see him go to that place inside him where he says he feels safe.

Sure - lot’s of people can sing better than him. But people feel like they know him, and every time he sings they are reminded of how much he feels when he sings.

I am not an opera guy. But he moved me. i can’t say he is the greatest I have ever heard - but I don’t know that that is a prerequisite for touching people.

And I don’t think you can teach that, either. [/quote]

Agreed.

I enjoy guitar music. Joe Satriani is probably my favourite because he blends technical proficiency with raw emotion that results in engaging songs. There are plenty of neoclassical virtuosos that are probably technically better than him, but the inhuman aspect to their music renders it pretty darn boring.

I watched a Pavarotti version of the song on youtube, and while it was impressive, it really didn’t have the same “oomph” because it felt robotic and soulless. Great set of pipes, but it really just seemed like he was going through the motions.

I dunno, I just don’t see the point in tearing him down for receiving accolades simply because there are people better than he is.

been posted

[quote]rainjack wrote:

And I don’t think you can teach that, either. [/quote]

ditto that, along with Ronsauce’s reply.

You can’t teach the ability to move people. I was talking to several voice teachers, and they all said the same thing: You should be technically proficient for what you want to do, and you should strive for true technical greatness, but sometimes you may want to just forget your technical singing and belt it out as hard as you can from your soul. Often people will react more to your emotions more than your ability. All the technique in the world won’t do you any good if you can’t move the audience.

Personally, I’ve never been a great fan of opera as a whole for precisely that reason. I really like this guy’s raw voice much better than Pavarotti’s; I don’t sense any soul from Pavarotti and his technical ability detracts from his performance rather than enhancing it (for me). Like the contrast between Christine and the prima donna in Phantom of the Opera.

The vast majority of operatic voices distract me from the music rather than enhancing it. This is just me personally. I still remember a high school acquaintance of mine performing 3 Mozart opera aria’s for the senior talent show. She was untrained (well, not really, just in relative terms), but it was like listening to a bell tone or a bird’s song. Still moves me today thinking about it. Christine v. prima donna.

It’s like preferring Robert Johnson or Eric Johnson over Yngwie Malmsteen or Steve Vai. The first two are great guitarists (Eric is a virtuoso in his own right as well) but their great power comes from the ability to move your emotions. The last two are arguably the two greatest technical wizards of the last 30 years, but not the most emotional.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I think it is precisely the juxtaposition of what he looks like, where he’s from, and his complete and utter lack of confidence against his raw, visceral voice that have people clammering over him. [/quote]

True, plus the fact that the judges appear to doubt him at first, and the cinematography at least makes it appear as though they are moved by his performance as it progresses and they are slowly convinced of his ability.