Best Shoulder/Trap/Upper Back Warmups

Looking for a warm up routine for the shoulder/trap/upper back exercise that I can work into my program. The issue I currently have is that regularly, when doing overhead presses with weights over 80% of my max, I get a “tweak” on the right side of my neck/trap and it happens during the eccentric contraction. (yes it is controlled movement).

The problem is that this ends up putting me out of shoulder pressing movements for 2+ weeks and it’s also tough to get a good nights sleep.

Currently I usually ride a stationary bike for 10 min. Do a couple sets of dumbbell over head presses and couple sets of laterals. Then into 3 lighter sets of overhead presses as per the 5/3/1 template.

Here’s a couple shoulder warm up protocols, courtesy of Diesel Crew:

http://www.dieselcrew.com/tag/shoulder-rehab

In addition to the Excellent shoulder protocol. I would put linament on beforehand and take some advil as well.

Linamaent needs to be hot and apply from just below ears to mid trap.

I have had same issues with my Levators and this what I have done to help alleviate the tightness/pain.

Also a good Massage is awesome

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
Also a good Massage is awesome[/quote]

This was my first thought. I visit the ‘deep tissue’ guy a few times a year. Totally worth it. He breaks stuff up in there and I get instant ROM and mobility gains out of it. He was instrumental in helping to correct a shoulder cuff issue awhile back.

[quote]hawkcapt1912 wrote:
[/quote]

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:
In addition to the Excellent shoulder protocol. I would put linament on beforehand and take some advil as well.

I have had same issues with my Levators and this what I have done to help alleviate the tightness/pain.

Thanks for the suggestions, will definately help with working through the issue.

FISCHER613 - For the issues with your Levators, what do you do with regards to your preparation and warmup (when you’re back to normal) in order to prevent this from happening. (This was what I was looking for with the 1st post. Sorry for not being specific enough)

[quote]HamRC51 wrote:

[quote]hawkcapt1912 wrote:
[/quote]

[quote]FISCHER613 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, will definately help with working through the issue.

FISCHER613 - For the issues with your Levators, what do you do with regards to your preparation and warmup (when you’re back to normal) in order to prevent this from happening. (This was what I was looking for with the 1st post. Sorry for not being specific enough)
[/quote]

Warmup neck area alot. Keep warm with sweatshirt or get bodyheat up before lifting.

Now I have been doing direct neck work twice a week and found that helps the most. I started real light with a neck -harness attached to the pulley system. And do Forward nods-side to side- ( like trying to touch my ears to my shoulders- and rearward look ups.

But I always lift warm, especially if doing overhead work.

Another thing: Don’t grind on the OHP till your neck/traps are stronger.

Hope this helps

Just to add to the other guys very good advice… As someone whose had shoulder surgery and also 2 small procedures on my neck, shoulder/trap/neck warmups are a big deal to me. I start with liniment of some kind also. I really dig the equi-block that EFS sells. I put it on my shoulders and all over my neck where I can reach. Then I do 100 arm circles front and back, a 4 way band traction of my shoulders, pecs and lats for 30 sec each stretch. And I finish with a 6 way 30 sec iso for my neck going front, back, side to side, and rotating each direction.

The diesel crew thing is a good one too that I did for years. Only reason I stopped was because we only have 1 incline bench and if guys were using it to actually train I didnt want to bother them and/or wait to start my warmup.

I agree 1,000,000% about making sure everything is good and warm before lifting. I didn’t do that for years and I (literally) now have the scars to show for it.