Best Shoulder Exercises

alright so recently at the gym it seems like i am doing lots of pointless exercises, especially for shoulders. I want to know how many exercises i should be doing for bigger shoulders and a list of the best ones.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1578184&cr=bodybuilding

The Shoulder Training Bible article is pretty recent. And pretty sexy. As far as shoulder exercises go for size your probably best with dumbbell seated shoulder press because it lets you hit the medial deltoid and use a good amount of weight. Second to that is any sort of rear delt flys or rows that target the rear and medial delts instead of the front delts.

You’re probably doing enough front delt work with your chest workouts alone. Again that’s why I prefer DB shoulder presses to BB shoulder presses…more medial delt and less front delt. Of course this is just what has worked for me in the past.

For shoulder strength all you need to do is train for a better clean and jerk. Push Presses, Power Cleans, and Jerks are the best exercises for developing powerful shoulders. Anyone who disagrees with this is just wrong. You can increase weight faster with the push press, jerk, and clean than you can with the military press.

If you’re training for size then do 1 or 2 compound moves for your delts, then 1 rear delt move and maybe 1 medial delt move.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:

The Shoulder Training Bible article is pretty recent. And pretty sexy. As far as shoulder exercises go for size your probably best with dumbbell seated shoulder press because it lets you hit the medial deltoid and use a good amount of weight. Second to that is any sort of rear delt flys or rows that target the rear and medial delts instead of the front delts.

You’re probably doing enough front delt work with your chest workouts alone. Again that’s why I prefer DB shoulder presses to BB shoulder presses…more medial delt and less front delt. Of course this is just what has worked for me in the past.

For shoulder strength all you need to do is train for a better clean and jerk. Push Presses, Power Cleans, and Jerks are the best exercises for developing powerful shoulders. Anyone who disagrees with this is just wrong. You can increase weight faster with the push press, jerk, and clean than you can with the military press.

If you’re training for size then do 1 or 2 compound moves for your delts, then 1 rear delt move and maybe 1 medial delt move. [/quote]

Great response..

…target the rear and medial delts [/quote]
And exactly where are the medial delts?

I target all the visible ones that I have, the front, the lateral, and the rear.

Otherwise good info for the OP.

If you’re training for size then do 1 or 2 compound moves for your delts, then 1 rear delt move and maybe 1 medial delt move. [/quote]

Good post. I like overhead squats as well. They seem to make my shoulders and upper back swell up. They are also a great warm up to any kind of shoulder work.

I’ve been doing reverse grip military presses lately for some variety. Gives you a nice deep burn in the anterior head. I don’t typically go much higher than a plate on each side, as the form will take you a few warmup sets to find your groove (its gonna feel a little awkward)

-S

The Shoulder Training Bible didn’t mention Arnold Presses as one of its key compound movements. You can definitely take advantage of its wide ROM, making your shoulders strong all throughout.

And did you know that jerks are the exercise that has the highest power output?

I like Upright Rows alot. Seems to work the medial head and widen the shoulders a bit. Although, I’ve been using Upright Rows(almost a Drag Row really) as a forearm exersize lately so its probably not the best exercise around for overall delt work.

merlin

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
FightingScott wrote:
…target the rear and medial delts
And exactly where are the medial delts?

I target all the visible ones that I have, the front, the lateral, and the rear.

Otherwise good info for the OP.
[/quote]

Medial delts = lateral delts