Best Shoulder Exercise for Bigger Bench?

Hey guys, been doing military strict presses for a while and wondering which pressing exercise has the best carryover to your bench and also for shoulder mass. Seated db press, seated BB press, push press, military press?? Which one has given you guys bigger shoulders and stronger bench?

Incline press at a normal incline (30 degrees) as well as very high incline (75-85 degrees). I also think that while there is the ability to cheat a lot in a push press, it can get your delts used to handling heavier weights which could translate well.

Honestly, just benching heavy has always created the greatest amount of soreness in my anterior delts.

[quote]TRTblastcruise wrote:
Incline press at a normal incline (30 degrees) as well as very high incline (75-85 degrees). I also think that while there is the ability to cheat a lot in a push press, it can get your delts used to handling heavier weights which could translate well.

Honestly, just benching heavy has always created the greatest amount of soreness in my anterior delts. [/quote]
Barbell incline press 75-85 degree seated?

I’m a fan of military pressing. Push presses and jerks are murder on my shoulders. A one arm barbell press is great for making you stabilize the weight better.

I like lateral raises too. The traditional db version and overhead with mini-bands.

Personally, the only shoulder exercise that has brought my bench up has been Bradford Presses.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
Personally, the only shoulder exercise that has brought my bench up has been Bradford Presses.[/quote]

Do you do them where they just clear the top of your head?
Or, are they modified where you essentially alternate military and behind-the-neck with full extension to lockout at the top?

[quote]roger1111 wrote:

Honestly, just benching heavy has always created the greatest amount of soreness in my anterior delts. [/quote]
Barbell incline press 75-85 degree seated?[/quote]

Yes or DBs

Seated military.

[quote]giterdone wrote:

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
Personally, the only shoulder exercise that has brought my bench up has been Bradford Presses.[/quote]

Do you do them where they just clear the top of your head?
Or, are they modified where you essentially alternate military and behind-the-neck with full extension to lockout at the top?[/quote]

Just clear the head.

[quote]roger1111 wrote:

Barbell incline press 75-85 degree seated?[/quote]

Yes or DBs[/quote]
Ok thanks, everyone has different things to say. Westside Barbell does all there overhead presses seated too dont they?

Everytime I do seated overhead presses, my shoulder scream bloody murder. Is there a trick to it I’m missing?

It depends on your weak point in the bench press. Personally the Push Press has had the best carryover for me. If you have weaker Tri’s I would try pin presses for an overload before you hit another compound shoulder exercise/ upper body push.

It depends on your weak point in the bench press. Personally the Push Press has had the best carryover for me. If you have weaker Tri’s I would try pin presses for an overload before you hit another compound shoulder exercise/ upper body push.

Wouldnt shoulder presses help for the bottom of the bench? and tris for the mid point/lockout?? Or do shoulders and rear delts help the whole way through?

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Everytime I do seated overhead presses, my shoulder scream bloody murder. Is there a trick to it I’m missing?[/quote]Na its pretty much just sit and press the weight? Barbell elbows tucked in and dumbells more so outwards

[quote]roger1111 wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
Everytime I do seated overhead presses, my shoulder scream bloody murder. Is there a trick to it I’m missing?[/quote]Na its pretty much just sit and press the weight? Barbell elbows tucked in and dumbells more so outwards
[/quote]

I guess I’ll just stick to their standing variants.

One alternative to the military press that i have been doing is military pressing in a power rack, using the safety bars to perform zero momentum presses. I take an adjustable bench, and put it to the most vertical setting, align the safety pins so when seated, the barbell rests at about eye/nose level. From this position, i do traditional military presses. The benefits i have found from using this movement is that it keep the triceps involvement minimal, while forcing the front delts to generate all the power from a dead stop.

It is a humbling exercise, as i can only get about 60% of what i can do for regular military presses. Some tips i have when doing this movement are to use a thumbless grip, because it will force your drive the weight away from your body, as opposed to a traditional grip, where the groove will track straight up, letting your triceps over-compensate. Another tip is to take towels and lie them over the safety bar where the barbell rests during the negative. This lessens the impact, and takes away loud clanking when doing reps.

I like to do higher reps so i can can totally control the weight in my front delts, and not try to muscle dick the weight and slouch my ass down on the seat so i can avoid incorporating my pecs as much as possible. i like to open with this movement on a shoulder day, as it is a safe way to get a lot of work on the muscle group ( i had labrum surgery a couple years ago, and this really lets my focus on the delts without fear of injury)

Just remember, stop between each rep and start from zero momentum. Drive the weight forward, and stay tight. Lock-out, and control the negative so you dont splash the weight as it reutrns to the safety bar. Enjoy.

I remember seeing a video of Dave Tate doing military presses pushing the bar into a power rack.