Best Routine for Strongman?

[quote]MachineAZ wrote:
Well I assumed right.

Funny you mentioned Total Perforamance Sports.

“Training to increase 1 rep max on the three lifts (squat/deadlift/bench) is not the best way to go for strongman competition.”

That’s taken straight out of an article written by C.J. Murphy, owner of TPS.[/quote]

I believe you took that out of context. This is from C.J. Murphy’s main article on the TPS strongman system:
“Remember; don?t waste time trying to squat 900 if you can?t now do 500pounds - 5 times without passing out! If you can?t squat the appropriate amount of weight now, stick with bringing your 1RM-3RM up initially.”

It clearly states that you should only bother increasing your repping ability if you are able to LIFT THE WEIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I am very weak at this point and I need to bring up my base level of strength. The squat, deadlift, and overhead press are the three obvious focus areas for gym work for me. I don’t see why this is so confusing.

Machine - Will, myself and a couple of others are speaking from direct personal experience, actually training and using these routines and competing. You seem to be reading websites. Not to call you out or throw a resume at you, but I’ve actually competed all over the East Coast and Ohio and know most of the people I’m talking about personally and have seen who’s turned pro in the last few years, not to mention how they train. Would you care to elaborate from your computer in Arizona about your competitive experiences and how you know everyone you’re talking about???

[quote]kroc30 wrote:
Machine - Will, myself and a couple of others are speaking from direct personal experience, actually training and using these routines and competing. You seem to be reading websites. Not to call you out or throw a resume at you, but I’ve actually competed all over the East Coast and Ohio and know most of the people I’m talking about personally and have seen who’s turned pro in the last few years, not to mention how they train. Would you care to elaborate from your computer in Arizona about your competitive experiences and how you know everyone you’re talking about???[/quote]

Since you are calling me out, I guess I should. Though I shouldn’t be required to.

Liane introduced me to strongman out here in Arizona, where she used to work as an assistant strength coach for ASU. She competed in WSW and is an elite powerlifter as well. I know her personally.

I was introduced to Art when I went to Boston to visit my girlfriend. I have trained at his place two different occasasions and met some of the people that train there. I wouldn’t say I know him personally, but I have met him and know people that know him well.

I train with Kevin Nee in Arizona, you know, the guy made famous on MTV. He just got back from China competing in WSM. He knows Liane and Art from back home in Boston and has trained with them many times as I understand. I know Kevin personally.

I know Brad Cardoza through the internet forums but also know people that know him personally. He also has trained with them many times.

And my g/f was introduced to me by Liane out at the Arizona contest. Kara is a national champion strong woman and trained with Art and Liane. Kara and Liane are probably two of the strongest steroid-free strongwomen in the country.

I’ve also trained with Kara’s crew in Nashville and met some strong people there.

My competition experience? I’m not sure why that is relevant to the topic but since you asked, I have competed in AZ and in Seattle (Marunde) this year.

Where do you train? Are you in MA or NY? I might have heard your name before.

[quote]bulletproof_ wrote:
MachineAZ wrote:
Well I assumed right.

Funny you mentioned Total Perforamance Sports.

“Training to increase 1 rep max on the three lifts (squat/deadlift/bench) is not the best way to go for strongman competition.”

That’s taken straight out of an article written by C.J. Murphy, owner of TPS.

I believe you took that out of context. This is from C.J. Murphy’s main article on the TPS strongman system:
“Remember; don?t waste time trying to squat 900 if you can?t now do 500pounds - 5 times without passing out! If you can?t squat the appropriate amount of weight now, stick with bringing your 1RM-3RM up initially.”
[/quote]

Actually no, it wasn’t taken out of context. The quote you took was though since you can’t squat 900 nor are you trying to.

Read the paragraph my quote was taken from.

Again I have to agree with Machine more here.

Yes being strong is very important, but its not as important as being good at events. Actual practice with strongman equipment is a hell of a lot different than anything you can do in the gym. I have beat guys who are technically stronger than me in many gym lifts because I had better technique and practice.

So while yes you should get strong and build a base of strength you need to get training strongman.

Danny

Nevermind kroc. I know who you are now. Too bad I didn’t end up competing at the NJ contest, b/c I would have dominated you in every event. Then I would say WHAT!?!?

Hahaha. It would have been good to meet you. Maybe then you wouldn’t think I’m just some geek behind a computer “reading websites”. :stuck_out_tongue:

I love lurking.

For the heavyweight strongman competitor it is very important to be a very strong powerlifter. If you don’t have a great max overhead, squat or deadlift you won’t be be winning too many comps.
I feel its very different for lightweight competitors. I beat a field of pro heavyweights once because there was only one heavy static lift for the whole comp (took last). All of the other events were movement based and that is where the little guys can take over if they have the athleticism needed.
I personally find that it is more important for me to be able to split squat or do step ups with maximal weights than be able to back squat a ton.
I find that there are a ton of big differences in atrongman event technique and training depending on your weight class.

[quote]DKing wrote:

So while yes you should get strong and build a base of strength you need to get training strongman.

Danny[/quote]

Yes, I’m glad you agree that I should get strong and build a base level of strength. I just don’t know why you assume that I won’t be also be training with implements.

Ok, again, let me try to clarify. I am 210 pounds. I squat 355, military press (will be using push press as a gauge from now on) 190 pounds, and deadlift 445 pounds. To put it in other words, I am really fucking weak. It’s painfully obvious that priority number one for me is developing maximal, base levels of strength. Second priority would probably be event technique, and the third would probably be general conditioning. I can’t even lift the amount of weight that most strongmen shit when they wake up in the morning. I have been strength training for only 2 years…I am still very new. So now, would someone be so kind as to answer my original question? I am looking for a volume based routine to bring up base strength for strongman, Is Strength Focused Mesocycle from Chad Waterbury a good routine for this?

What is your event training like? Personally I feel that determines what you need to do in the gym, along with your weak points.

[quote]MachineAZ wrote:
What is your event training like? Personally I feel that determines what you need to do in the gym, along with your weak points.

[/quote]

Hmm well I haven’t started event training yet. I felt that I needed to build up my overall strength before I should even bother. So you think that event training is appropriate to begin even with you have an overall level of strength as weak as mine?

Dude, you’re really not that weak. You definitely should start event training, this is what builds the “core strength” that you want.

I’ll give you two examples to prove my point.

First, a training partner of mine just began strongman training in the last few months. He had never squatted, deadlifts upper 400’s, military probably close to yours. He has made HUGE improvements by doing events with me twice a week. He can now load a 265 stone to a 52" platform, log press 210 for 4, farmers 200 for 100 ft., etc. The point is, he basically had the same strength levels as you but since starting strongman his strength has skyrocketed. Recently he squatted 275 for 5.

Second, a strongwoman national champion that I know very well told me she started training strongman shortly after she started lifting weights. Her experience with the events is a huge advantage.

Everybody starts somewhere. If you’re able to train the events, you should.

[quote]MachineAZ wrote:
Dude, you’re really not that weak. You definitely should start event training, this is what builds the “core strength” that you want.

I’ll give you two examples to prove my point.

First, a training partner of mine just began strongman training in the last few months. He had never squatted, deadlifts upper 400’s, military probably close to yours. He has made HUGE improvements by doing events with me twice a week. He can now load a 265 stone to a 52" platform, log press 210 for 4, farmers 200 for 100 ft., etc. The point is, he basically had the same strength levels as you but since starting strongman his strength has skyrocketed. Recently he squatted 275 for 5.

Second, a strongwoman national champion that I know very well told me she started training strongman shortly after she started lifting weights. Her experience with the events is a huge advantage.

Everybody starts somewhere. If you’re able to train the events, you should.[/quote]

Hmm, that’s definately encouraging. I’ll definately look into getting some implements lined up. If you had to pick a basic set of implements that I should procure, what would you pick? I’m a poor college student and I don’t really have the money to pay for such things…they may have to be built.

I’m a poor college student and I don’t really have the money to pay for such things…they may have to be built.[/quote]

What’s that you say? You’re in the same boat as me? :slight_smile:

Kegs are easy to get - especially since you’re a college student. Either ask the distributor nearby if they have any empties they could get rid of or just take one from a party while the host is drunk. To fix it so you can load in sand/water, have a welder cut out the top section where the tap would go and weld on a short piece of threaded pipe. Or make friends with someone who can do that.

Rocks are everywhere. While practicing with round stones is ideal for getting better at the atlas stones, big rocks are a nice second. Be aware that gripping the stone is often the hard part, though, and rocks you’ll pick up will be easier to grip (usually).

Tires are free, check with a local industrial supplier/disposer - transporting them can be a little more difficult. Renting a U-haul for a day isn’t that expensive if you need to transport one, though.

Farmer’s walk implements are pretty cheap to make if you can borrow someone’s tools - look for the thread on this site about making a set and also check jva.ontariostrongman.ca for directions to make “tightwad” implements. You could also just weld 2" metal handles to sections of old railroad rails, though that may not be readily available depending on where you are.

For the log, you can really go two ways. You can do it the old fashioned way and simply bolt parallel grip handles to a small wooden log, or you can purchase/have one machined to your specifications.

Check out gojira’s old thread (search function) about sled dragging for how to make a pretty cheap, decent sled. Or you could buy one of the less expensive ones and drag on grass.

Obviously you’ll need to get some weights for some of these. Look in the classifieds, you can usually find some guy who’s moving to a new job and needs to unload his weight set.

Sandbags are pretty cheap too - just put a bunch of small ones wrapped up in duct tape in a duffel bag. Adjust weight as needed.

I think that’s enough to get started :slight_smile:

-Dan

Ok, again, let me try to clarify. I am 210 pounds. I squat 355, military press (will be using push press as a gauge from now on) 190 pounds, and deadlift 445 pounds. To put it in other words, I am really fucking weak. It’s painfully obvious that priority number one for me is developing maximal, base levels of strength. Second priority would probably be event technique, and the third would probably be general conditioning. I can’t even lift the amount of weight that most strongmen shit when they wake up in the morning. I have been strength training for only 2 years…I am still very new. So now, would someone be so kind as to answer my original question? I am looking for a volume based routine to bring up base strength for strongman, Is Strength Focused Mesocycle from Chad Waterbury a good routine for this?[/quote]

Don’t wait, start event training now, you will be better off. If possible find some strong guys in your area to train with, it will help. Where are you from?

Using myself as an example, I am not much stronger than you. My best deadlift is 465, I have hit a 365 full squat and jerk about 225. These are at about 190 lbs. These aren’t great numbers but I have done pretty well in a couple contests. Giving up 20 lbs to the next lightest guy I took 3rd in Milwaukees Strongest Man. When there is an under 200 class I can consistantly come in top 2 or 3.

Now I am always focusing on getting strong, this is STRONGman but I never sacrafice event training for gym strength. If recovery is a problem then the first thing I cut is gym time over event training.

Danny

[quote]DKing wrote:
bulletproof_ wrote:
Ok, again, let me try to clarify. I am 210 pounds. I squat 355, military press (will be using push press as a gauge from now on) 190 pounds, and deadlift 445 pounds. To put it in other words, I am really fucking weak. It’s painfully obvious that priority number one for me is developing maximal, base levels of strength. Second priority would probably be event technique, and the third would probably be general conditioning. I can’t even lift the amount of weight that most strongmen shit when they wake up in the morning. I have been strength training for only 2 years…I am still very new. So now, would someone be so kind as to answer my original question? I am looking for a volume based routine to bring up base strength for strongman, Is Strength Focused Mesocycle from Chad Waterbury a good routine for this?

Don’t wait, start event training now, you will be better off. If possible find some strong guys in your area to train with, it will help. Where are you from?

Using myself as an example, I am not much stronger than you. My best deadlift is 465, I have hit a 365 full squat and jerk about 225. These are at about 190 lbs. These aren’t great numbers but I have done pretty well in a couple contests. Giving up 20 lbs to the next lightest guy I took 3rd in Milwaukees Strongest Man. When there is an under 200 class I can consistantly come in top 2 or 3.

Now I am always focusing on getting strong, this is STRONGman but I never sacrafice event training for gym strength. If recovery is a problem then the first thing I cut is gym time over event training.

Danny[/quote]

I’m from the DFW area in Texas. I actually train in a hardcore gym, it’s mainly a powerlifting gym though. I’m going to talk to the owner and see if he would be interested in letting me bring some strongman equipment up.

Bulletproof - Definitely start training. You’re more than strong enough to compete.

Machine - My bad, pal. In the early morning without my coffee, my 35 year old senile mind thought I was reading one of the old Samson Power posts, not a real thread. You probably do know who I am b/c I believe Liane competed in the Extreme Strongman back in 2003 or so (the one where there was a blizzard the night before and the hotel stopped serving food and beer at 11pm the night of the show). Like I said earlier in this thread, I’m not a pro by far, but I’ve been around for awhile and held my own here and there. Maybe you could have taken me in NJ, but who knows? I was fairly happy with my #'s since it was my first show in 13 months. If you’re interested, I’m thinking about doing Cam’s New Year’s Eve show, or one of the upstate shows in the spring. I’ll even buy you a beer after to show my appreciation for reminding me that I can be a jackass at times.

[quote]DKing wrote:
bulletproof_ wrote:

Danny[/quote]

Were you in the Novice division or the lightweight division at MSM?

Regards,

Sensless

I was in the lightweight division. The skinny light haired guy who sucks at log pressing, that was me.

I just noticed from your avatar pic that you were the dude in the kilt, how is the training going? Looking to do any more contests?

Danny