best gourmet pizza:
volares

best overfeed day spot:
habaneros grill and burrito bar

in nyc:

best restaurant:
spice market

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
You guys need to try Phils when you get back down to SD… Best I’ve found out here so far. Get the Broham and some fries. Good stuff.[/quote]

are there carbs in that?

Bastard

[quote]Bastard Guy wrote:
elevationgain wrote:
You guys need to try Phils when you get back down to SD… Best I’ve found out here so far. Get the Broham and some fries. Good stuff.

are there carbs in that?

Bastard[/quote]

Well, you can always pretend it’s healthy… And Bastard I know you must have a wicked good imagination.

[quote]chillain wrote:
for japanese-style raw fish, Mijori in Oakland.
(take the Grand/Lakeshore exit off the 580).

for brazilian bbq, Amazon in Fullerton.

for persian, Pars is about a mile from LAX.

for dim-sum, East Ocean in Emeryville.[/quote]

Brazilian BBQ? that sounds good…what is it?

When it comes to college campus food…its hard to beat Athens Ga.

another note … the worst bbq in KC is better than the best bbq in california.
Bastard
[/quote]

I will second that.

And…

KC is full of fattys because there is so much good food everywhere you go. However, if I ever moved away from KC and was back for a visit, I would go straight to Arthur Bryant’s for some BBQ.

I recently had a five day stay in downtown Denver, and my best experience was with Willy G’s. Every single item was cooked to perfection with an amazing quality steak. Unbelievable.

CT:
Kathy-John’s (across from the UConn campus)

TX:
Mama Margie’s

And the last place I LOVE - I know it’s a chain, but who cares? - Olive Garden!

And someone said chuey’s in NoCal (I think) was good - that’s also a chain. Never tried it, though.

another note … the worst bbq in KC is better than the best bbq in california.
Bastard

jackzepplin wrote:
I will second that.

And…

KC is full of fattys because there is so much good food everywhere you go. However, if I ever moved away from KC and was back for a visit, I would go straight to Arthur Bryant’s for some BBQ.

I recently had a five day stay in downtown Denver, and my best experience was with Willy G’s. Every single item was cooked to perfection with an amazing quality steak. Unbelievable.[/quote]

so true.

my first california friend to hit KC did so in 1995. he still talks about the platter of meat we got at Jake Edward’s.

a year and a half ago at xmas, i took a friend of mine back. we hit gates several times, arthur bryants, haywards, and smokestack. (side note: smokestack was selling meat on one of those qvc channels the other day - one of the fiorellas was standing there). anyway, he still talks about the tray of meat with fries all over it at bryants as well as the beef from gates. he suggested that next time we rent an rv so that we can pass out in the partking lot after eating to avoid the rich, smokey, bbq / cold beer induced coma on the drive home.

jz, next time i hit kc, we gotta hook up and do this!

Bastard

I’m kind of a deli fanatic so here goes:

Ann Arbor, MI : Zingerman’s Deli - the best deli in the country, hands down. The Zingerman’s Bakehouse is simply ridiculous.

Philadelphia : Koch’s Deli - best pastrami on the East Coast

NYC: 2nd Avenue Deli and Katz’ Deli - both have seen better days, but still the best in the City - leave Dean & Deluca to the yuppies.

LA: Izzy’s deli (Santa Monica, CA) - great corned beef and latkes - I was surprised it was that good.

Chicago: Manny’s - not bad

jz, next time i hit kc, we gotta hook up and do this!

Bastard[/quote]

Just PM me when you’re on your way. I’m always up for some Viking-style gorging on beef. I’m always “Bulking”, so it’s all good.

~j

Please tell me someone did not write Olive Garden. Dude, come on!

[quote]buckaroo wrote:
Please tell me someone did not write Olive Garden. Dude, come on![/quote]

I love it. So sue me. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]OARSMAN wrote:

Ann Arbor, MI : Zingerman’s Deli - the best deli in the country, hands down. The Zingerman’s Bakehouse is simply ridiculous.

Philadelphia : Koch’s Deli - best pastrami on the East Coast

NYC: 2nd Avenue Deli and Katz’ Deli - both have seen better days, but still the best in the City - leave Dean & Deluca to the yuppies.

LA: Izzy’s deli (Santa Monica, CA) - great corned beef and latkes - I was surprised it was that good.

Chicago: Manny’s - not bad [/quote]

Love’s Katz’s Deli in NYC.

In Phila…Famous on 4th. st. for me. Chocolate Chip Cookies my kids will kill for.

[quote]OARSMAN wrote:

[/quote]

Oh yeah…Zingerman’s Deli is fantastic!