Best Rep Ranges for Calves

I’m curious what other here believe are the best rep ranges for working the gastrocnemious and soleus.

Do you work them in the same or differing rep ranges?

Do you work one or both with higher frequency than other body parts?

Do you utilize pauses between reps or between concentric and eccentric phases?

I like higher rep ranges for both of them, 15-50 usually with 25 probably being the most common. I like doing them 3 times a week, 2 x week minimum. I think going slow and controlled can work, as can extreme stretching either as part of the set or afterwards, however you have use pretty heavy weight to force them to grow.

Remember you can’t work the gastroc by itself without also working the soleus so it is difficult to have a different frequency for them.

IMO There are a few select muscle groups that should be stimulated using a slightly higher rep range. These are the calves, abs, forearms, rear delts and upper traps. These muscle groups are predominantly made up of slow-twitch fibers, and therefore will respond better to higher reps.

For this reason, a rep range of 10-15 should be enough utilized for these muscle groups.

i do a heavy static hold for as long as i can withen a certain time limit for 3-4 sets then decrease the weight and do 3-4 sets of regular reps. it works for me, fuck anything else.

I hit the gastrocnemius with lower reps, and the soleus with higher reps. Both with hard squeezes at top, and slow negs.

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I hit the gastrocnemius with lower reps, and the soleus with higher reps. Both with hard squeezes at top, and slow negs.

S
[/quote]

That’s pretty much the same general guidelines I follow.

However, I would say that for some people, really high reps work best for both the gastrocs and the soleus. Even though I tend to stick to the lower rep ranges for gastrocs, I’ll still use higher reps for a few sessions and then switch back to lower reps.

Basically, I’m trying to say to use them all. Lower reps, moderate reps, higher reps. Mix it up from time to time. See which ones you respond best to.

5 x 25 calf raises at the end of every leg workout.

mine are touching 20inch.

Pretty much to failure. That is the only thing that seems to make them grow.

Playing along to Slayer always seemed to improve calf size as well. Toe-up double bass drumming is a pretty good calf workout I guess.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Playing along to Slayer always seemed to improve calf size as well. Toe-up double bass drumming is a pretty good calf workout I guess.[/quote]

You know in all my years of playing drums, I only ever would get a burn in my tibialis, but never anywhere else in my lower legs. Didn’t seem to matter which technique I used either (toe-up vs heel-up).

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Playing along to Slayer always seemed to improve calf size as well. Toe-up double bass drumming is a pretty good calf workout I guess.

You know in all my years of playing drums, I only ever would get a burn in my tibialis, but never anywhere else in my lower legs. Didn’t seem to matter which technique I used either (toe-up vs heel-up).
[/quote]

I didn’t know you were a fellow skin beater, Vader!

Because I’m so awesome(not), I can play quads with one foot, and that I can can feel in the tibialis(lot of foot action there, it’s like alternating toe-heel doubles). But crazy death metal 32nds really burn up the vastus heads for me.

We will have to add a Guitar Center raid to the Test Fest events. You, Momma, Sen, and myself can go raise all kinds of hell.

I remember some guy who worked at one of the first gyms I ever went to telling me to try and walk around on my tiptoes all day-lol. I actually would try to do it whenever no one was looking.

(and NO, I don’t think it actually did anything)

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I remember some guy who worked at one of the first gyms I ever went to telling me to try and walk around on my tiptoes all day-lol. I actually would try to do it whenever no one was looking.

S[/quote]

There is some truth to that. Ballerinas have incredible calves thanks to spending a lot of time on pointe.

No I don’t have teh ghey, I’ve just dated a lot of dancers.

Try skipping. Worked for me.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

I didn’t know you were a fellow skin beater, Vader!

Because I’m so awesome(not), I can play quads with one foot, and that I can can feel in the tibialis(lot of foot action there, it’s like alternating toe-heel doubles). But crazy death metal 32nds really burn up the vastus heads for me.

We will have to add a Guitar Center raid to the Test Fest events. You, Momma, Sen, and myself can go raise all kinds of hell.[/quote]

Yeah, I grew up playing drums. Played pretty seriously for about 10 years, but I’ve been living in apartments and condos for about the same amount of time, so I’ve been unable to have a kit. Drums aren’t exactly apartment or condo friendly. :frowning: I have a practice pad kid that I screw around on from time to time, but it’s just not the same.

I don’t usually boast about being a drummer since it’s been so long since I’ve owned a kit and I suck compared to previous skill level. I’m kind of ashamed of letting it go so bad.

One of these days I’ll move into a house and then it’s on again. Until then, I’m thinking of taking up the bass. :slight_smile:

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

There is some truth to that. Ballerinas have incredible calves thanks to spending a lot of time on pointe.

No I don’t have teh ghey, I’ve just dated a lot of dancers.
[/quote]

I love chicks with nice calves. :slight_smile:

I’ve tried the tip-toe thing too. The only thing it’s done for me is just helping me feel the max contraction of the calf. It hasn’t done anything in terms of size or strength, but there’s definitely benefit to being able to fully feel and contract the calf harder.