Best Recovery Gainer After Workout?

Hi,

Having tried several protein/carbohydrate combinations (often referred to as “recovery gainers”) post workout (with maltodextrin, vitargo, isomaltulose etc) - I wonder if anyone knows the current science in this field? What is the best recovery combination, from a hypertrophic standpoint? Not just looking for calories, more into the actual nutritional value/benefits, specifically the carbohydrate content.

Why would you need all these variants if one solution/combination is the best?

Because it does matter.

Yes, I can imagine that, and do have some own experience in the field. Come on. To what extent? Your reply didn’t exactly answer my question. Placebo?

Biotest products
Hyrolysed casein/pepto pro + Karbolyn
Hydrolyse whey +Karbolyn
Whey isolate + banana

…in that order (and budgetwise)

Thanks RB,

Would you rate karbolyn higher than cyclic dextrin post workout? If so, why? This seem to be a great matter of discussion everywhere. Karbolyn came in 2006 and cyclic dextrin in 2016 I believe - evolution or not? Not forgetting Biotest pushing cyclic dextrin extensively.

In real terms -digestion/recovery/gainz etc they are 90% the same and both a step up from other carb products. -So basically get whatever is most affordable or easy to get your hands on.

I have a sight preference for branded karbolyn with electrolytes -if not take alongside something with minerals. Difficult to explain but feel weird without(very fast passing through gut maybe)

1 Like

Here’s some good stuff on carbohydrates. I can’t quite understand all of it but there it is. It does touch on dextrins and how they come about.

1 Like

I’ve heard of weight gainers, post-workout recovery drinks, and workout drinks. Not totally sure what a “recovery gainer” is, but it sounds like you’re talking about some kind of post-workout drink.

Really though, for the last few years, the priority has shifted to recognize the importance of pre- and intra-workout nutrition, instead of overfocusing on post-workout. Discussed here: Post-Workout Nutrition is Dead

Because not everyone wants or needs the best. A college freshman lacrosse player isn’t likely to spend $70/month on Plazma, but a 49-year old garage lifter raging against the dying of the light would.

2 Likes

Dark ale and a steak

4 Likes

Real food. Steak, eggs, bananas, yogurt, honey, tuna, pasta. (not all on one plate, though).

Says the vegetarian?

I can happily concede that a steak is a more optimal protein source than a tin of lentils :relaxed:

2 Likes

Pre- and intra-workout nutrition? Has anyone given this a proper A / B testing - compared to how it was before - when only having a post-workout shake?

I am soon to try the cyclic dextrin/peptopro combo - but am still a bit hesitant to introduce a pre- and intra-workout nutrition since I am already on a rather high calorie diet (and have yet to feel the need for a supermegakiller-supplementation during workout). Plazma seems to be the solution to every problem you may encounter at the gym (can I skip the training part)? LOL

Any success stories out there to convince me otherwise?

I know Sponsors don’t want to hear this but I find it interesting how many on here and everywhere have bought into the need for some Lydia Pinkham type magic elixir to help them get through the day. What happened to the day when a good meal or two would give us all the nutrients we need to get us through just about anything that would get in our way? Do we really need to be ingesting all these fancy chemicals before, during and after a workout to build a smidgen more muscle. Arthur Jones would say something to the effect that he could build muscle drinking chocolate milk, smoking cigarettes and a candy bar or something similar? I think the best option is somewhere in between these extremes.
Scott

1 Like

You can. There’s a 30-day money-back guarantee on first-time purchases of a product. So you can run it through a few weeks of training and track for yourself. Explained here: https://biotest.t-nation.com/articles/support

A few to start with:

https://biotest-forums.t-nation.com/t/please-sell-me-on-plazma/3898
https://biotest-forums.t-nation.com/t/rank-your-top-5-biotest-supplements-and-why/4941

2 Likes

I had to Google who Pinkham was, for the record. But I similarly find it interesting how many people have bought into the need for a warehouse-sized assortment of mechanically designed fabricated machines designed to work specific muscles in isolation. What happened to the day of picking up a barbell or dumbbell and getting all the training you need? (See how that sounds?)

About 25 years of nutrition science happened.

What chemicals, specifically? No offense intended, but that’s an incredibly outdated and vague complaint about nutrition.

There’s certainly nothing wrong with simply eating three square meals a day. It’s worked for decades, if not a century. But there’s a wide gap between good nutrition habits to optimal nutrition habits.

It’s not simply about building muscle. It’s about overall recovery. If you could push yourself with more challenging and more productive workouts and not feel trashed the rest of the day or the day after, would you not want to?

1 Like

I tried that. Now I have a bunch of fancy hardware in my chest.

I do not recommend.

3 Likes

@Chris_Colucci pretty cool links man, lots of praise and good info. I was in the “that’s way to high for a supplement” camp till I saw some of the posts explaining the differences. I’m definitely curious to try a combo of the plaZma and mag 10.

If one were to want to give them a try for a month or two, do you think they would be appreciated more during a cutting phase or a gaining phase? Or it just really doesn’t matter?

I never once said more gains can be had with any Nautilus, Hammer or any other machine over a barbell . In fact I’ve said the opposite! I’ve spent less on some machines than a can of Plazma costs , ha ha !

About 25 years of nutrition science happened.

Oh gee, I never heard that before.
Scott