T Nation

Best Rear Delt/Upper Back Exercise

Which exercise do you favor for rear delts/upper back?

1. Face pulls

2. Reverse fly on pec-deck

Thanks!

Bent laterals facing down on an incline banch (keeping thumbs pointed down)

Front BB raises while facing down on an incline bench (hands spaced wide apart on the bar)

S

Reverse cable flyes.

band pull aparts

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

Front BB raises while facing down on an incline bench (hands spaced wide apart on the bar)

S
[/quote]

What degree of incline would you say is best?

Kroc Rows (duh).

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Kroc Rows (duh).
[/quote]

I think everyone on this forum has decided Kroc rows are the solution to just about everything, and I agree. Grip? Deadlift lockout? Lat strength? Upper back strength? Problems in the bedroom? Kroc rows fix them all.

When i decided to actually dedicate an exercise to rear delts i went with a version of a reverse fly. I used the cable crossover machine without any handles (i think it’s called scarecrows) and in about 5 weeks my rear delts was huge, overpowering my anterior and medial delts.

Bare in mind i got somewhat OCD on that exercise and did it EVERYTIME i stepped foot in the gym. The cross over machine is near the exit so i see it every time i am leaving and would always bang a few reps on my way out.

Heavy weight high reps, about 15

Use both.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
The Mighty Stu wrote:

S

What degree of incline would you say is best?[/quote]

Well, for the bent laterals, I like to be almost parallel with the floor, with just enough of an angle so that I can allow my arms to move downwards about a foot ROM before reversing the motion (I do a very abbreviated ROM, but I feel keeping stress on the muscle is much better than swinging weights that are too heavy and allowing your back to take the stress).

For the Front BB stuff, you have to angle the bench enough that the BB will not slam into the base of the bench. I’m guestimating a little above 45 degrees or so, but you obviously will have to try out the benches in your gym. We have two that are great, and one that’s just horrible. I found out just through trial and error which ones will work and which ones won’t.

S

[quote]VikingsAD28 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Kroc Rows (duh).

I think everyone on this forum has decided Kroc rows are the solution to just about everything, and I agree. Grip? Deadlift lockout? Lat strength? Upper back strength? Problems in the bedroom? Kroc rows fix them all.[/quote]

That and squats and milk just about cover everything.

I use pretty much the same as Stu, but i just sit on a bench and lean forward, thumbs pointing down, very light weight. Like the movement, really feels the muscles work even without weights.

You tube tip, about rear delts.

Thanks guys, I’ll give some of these a go!

Standing behind the neck BB press, only bringing the bar down to ear level and stopping slightly before lockout.

Been doing these for about 9 months now and my rear delts have EXPLODED.

Decent bit of core work involved too.

[quote]bob84 wrote:
I use pretty much the same as Stu, but i just sit on a bench and lean forward, thumbs pointing down, very light weight. Like the movement, really feels the muscles work even without weights.

You tube tip, about rear delts.

[/quote]

Excellent clip!

Shit… he ain’t the brightest button in the box is he? lol!

I thought using heavy weight inherently meant that you can’t do 15 reps with it.

It really depends on what you mean by “best”

1)deadlift
2)facepull
3)band pull-apart
4)kroc row

They’ve all got there advantages, and if I had to choose just one, it would be deadlift. Good thing I dont have to though.

[quote]Ronsauce wrote:
angus_beef wrote:Heavy weight high reps, about 15

I thought using heavy weight inherently meant that you can’t do 15 reps with it.[/quote]

Kroc rows and Kroc curls are heavy weights high reps… You just need to use some body english to get it done.

I’ve only done rackpulls twice, but I really feel them in the middle/upper back region.