T Nation

Best Punching Bag Weight?

i’ve been “semi” boxing for the past year, basically throwing some combos at the bag (with proper tech. of course)on cardio days. and i would like to get more serious about it, so im curious to know what would be the best bag weight to start with…60 80 100?? i have been using a stand up water filled base mount, but now that im out of an apt, i would like to get a real bag. so if anyone has any info, i’d appreciate it

Thanks

[quote]HULKSTAR wrote:
i’ve been “semi” boxing for the past year, basically throwing some combos at the bag (with proper tech. of course)on cardio days. and i would like to get more serious about it, so im curious to know what would be the best bag weight to start with…60 80 100?? i have been using a stand up water filled base mount, but now that im out of an apt, i would like to get a real bag. so if anyone has any info, i’d appreciate it

Thanks
[/quote]

Bag weight depends upon the following factors:

1. Your body weight

2. Your punching ability

3. Your future goals

[quote]ZEB wrote:

Bag weight depends upon the following factors:

1. Your body weight

2. Your punching ability

3. Your future goals[/quote]

4. 185

5. not really sure how to rate this. im by no means a pro, but i have fairly good stamina, good form, ability to throw decent combos. not sure on power, above average, but not “knock-out power” so to say.

6. i would like to become a better overall boxer, increase stamina, coordination, balance and power.

Thanks
Todd

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Another thing to consider: Although it may feel more satisfying to pound a really heavy, solid bag, it will put a lot more stress on your forearms. I get a lot of pain in mine (feels kinda like shin-splints but in my lower arms) and I’m not the only one in my gym to do so…

bushboy[/quote]
thanks for the reply… i went out “pricing” today and think i may go with a 70lb everlast bag. i dont think i’ll “out grow” it any time soon

I’ve used many different weights. For most people, 100 pounds at least is the way to go to develop power, which I assume is what you want.

im 16 and i weigh in at 160-165, i have an 80LBS bag in my basment and i have outgrown it in my opinion for. as a suggestion, wrap your hands and wear bag gloves. especaly if you get a canvac bag.