T Nation

Best Protein for my Goals?

Hey all,

Been lurking on the site with a few posts here and there for several months, and love the buckets of information I’ve gotten.

I religiously check the site daily, and read whatever articles are thrown up, so much better than my old subscription to Men’s Health :slight_smile:

My questions is which type of Protein power should I be looking into?

I used the GNC Whey for a while until I found the site, and recently got me a container of Surge and have been using it. I’m at a slight deficit of calories right now as I’m in the cutting summer months. However, I work out every day of the week with weights on MWF and a “sports fitness” type class with a lot of HIIT on T and Th.

The wife is using low carb Metabolic Drive, and she seems to enjoy it. The problem is, when drinking a shake every day before my workouts, that is going to rack up some serious cash.

We’re talking 5 shakes a week for me, with 16 servings, comes out to just over 16 tubs of Surge a year for me. With the low-carb for the wife, she gets 31 servings out of each container, so let’s say 12 containers.

(16+12) x $32.99 = $923 not counting shipping.

This is just a ton of money for protein powder.

I’m not asking for anyone to bash the products on the site, because they seem fantastic, but is there ANY way to find a cheaper option here?

Me switching to low carb metabolic during cutting months and Surge during colder bulking months, I would probably save a little money (~$100 or so probably) but still.

Any light at the end for a poor hopeful?

Look at it from the other end of the scale- $2.06 per serving of Surge and $1.06 per serving of Metabolic Drive. For the quality of the product that is a steal. Now if you want to go the less tasty but cheaper route, you can get the bigger tubs of Grow! Whey and then add what you need to speed up or slow down digestion.

Meaning what exactly? Do you mean the choice between using milk + fruit in a smoothie, or just water?

[quote]cgsaunde wrote:
and then add what you need to speed up or slow down digestion.

Meaning what exactly? Do you mean the choice between using milk + fruit in a smoothie, or just water?[/quote]

At the very least. Some of the people on this site are very creative with what they stick in their blenders (eggs, olive oil, peanut butter, etc…).

If money is a concern, stick with Grow!. This site has the best pricing on whey I’ve seen (beating even the cheeaap Wal-Mart shit) and, with a few additions to it here and there, you can fit it to whatever your goals are.

[quote]anonym wrote:
cgsaunde wrote:
and then add what you need to speed up or slow down digestion.

Meaning what exactly? Do you mean the choice between using milk + fruit in a smoothie, or just water?

At the very least. Some of the people on this site are very creative with what they stick in their blenders (eggs, olive oil, peanut butter, etc…).

If money is a concern, stick with Grow!. This site has the best pricing on whey I’ve seen (beating even the cheeaap Wal-Mart shit) and, with a few additions to it here and there, you can fit it to whatever your goals are.

edit: oh, and shipping is free, now.[/quote]

So very basically, for high protein/low carb, just simply mix this with some water and maybe an egg or some peanut butter.

high protein/high carb insulin spike, have it with milk, fruit, and maybe something else sugary?

[quote]cgsaunde wrote:
So very basically, for high protein/low carb, just simply mix this with some water and maybe an egg or some peanut butter.[/quote]

Or olive oil, fish oil, or ground flax seeds.

[quote]high protein/high carb insulin spike, have it with milk, fruit, and maybe something else sugary?
[/quote]

Yep, and mixing with powdered Gatorade makes for an ok workout drink.