Best Protein and MRP

I am 57yrs of age and I would like to begin to work out. I would like to know which is the best protein (best buy for your buck) and meal replacement product that I could get? I want to lose bodyfat and gain some muscle mass, and also lose weight (I weigh 220lbs)like 25-30lbs. I don’t want to be the next Sr. Mr America, I simply want to look and feel better. Your advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

As far as protein goes, generally speaking, Optimum’s 100% Whey or Pro Performance (buy one, get one half off) are going to be your best buys, although sometimes you can catch a good sale on TwinLab or EAS Simply Protein. MRP, Grow is a good deal if you buy two, get one, otherwise look fot the sales. Optimum has a MRP that comes in an economy size that’s a good deal.

Rongarm, I strongly suggest you read the “Diet Manifesto” article at T-mag in issue 136. Start there.

As for MRPs, pick the one that tastes best. All the top brands are about the same these days. I like Grow! obviously, but Myoplex and the Labrada brand are good too. Biotest has that “buy 2 get 1 free deal” though.

Don’t get too caught up in the protein hype. By that I mean, just make sure you’re getting enough, preferable of a casein and whey mix. Don’t think you have to have 8 different types of micro-cross-nucleated protein for different situations. That minutia. Take care of the big stuff first- diet, then training, then supplements, in that order. My “Dawg School” columns- there are 4 or 5 of them in the previous issues section- would also help you out. Good luck.

If you insist on supplementing your diet with protein powders right away, go with the affordable 5 pd. containers of way like EAS Simply Protein or Optimum Nutrition’s, Prolab, etc. Otherwise, drink milk for extra protein. The best MRP’s on the market? Grow! (buy 2 get one free), Myoplex, Lean Body…good luck and hats off to ya for your fitness endeavors!

Did I say ‘way’? I meant ‘whey’!