Best Program Without Squat Rack

What’s the best beginner’s program that doesn’t require a squat rack? I recently started the “Starting Strength” program by Rippetoe where you alternate through Workout A and B. It requires squatting on everyday. I was front squatting on the smith machine, but I’m not happy with it. When I tried front squatting a barbell I had no balance and it felt awkward.

I want to learn the squat the way it was intended so I don’t want to continue with this program if I’m limited to a smith machine. What’s the next best thing? I would like a program that still uses squats, but will allow me to do squats I can handle without a rack, such as the hack squat or me cleaning the barbell and front squatting.

Cleaning up the weight and front squatting is a really good choice, as it will bring up both of those exercises and you can’t over do it in the front squat.

I don’t think the program was intended to be done without a squat rack. Front squatting like that will only take me so far. Besides, at my gym there’s no where for me to even drop the thing. It’s very tight on space.

Yes, you’re right, but you’re pretty short on choices. Changing gyms or having two guys help a barbell behind your neck are choices too, but the latter isn’t really something I would recommend because it’s not very safe.
Cleaning and front squatting is still a choice to consider at least if there’s no other way to do it. :slight_smile:

You already mentioned hack squats. That’s an option. The other is dumbbell squats.

My point is that the back squat is considered the foundation of the program and the front squat is suggested to be added later, but not really meant to be the basis. Sure, fronts are better than nothing, but maybe I’d be better off with a different program all together and I’m just looking for suggestions.

[quote]Digity wrote:
What’s the best beginner’s program that doesn’t require a squat rack? I recently started the “Starting Strength” program by Rippetoe where you alternate through Workout A and B. It requires squatting on everyday. I was front squatting on the smith machine, but I’m not happy with it. When I tried front squatting a barbell I had no balance and it felt awkward.

I want to learn the squat the way it was intended so I don’t want to continue with this program if I’m limited to a smith machine. What’s the next best thing? I would like a program that still uses squats, but will allow me to do squats I can handle without a rack, such as the hack squat or me cleaning the barbell and front squatting.[/quote]

Don’t sweat it too much. If you can front squat, front squat. I find front squat superior to the backsquat for hitting depth. If you go ass to grass/ thigh to calf on frontsquats you should be ok.

I might switch to Westside 4 Skinny Bastards since it’s not so centered on squats.

Although, I was confused by one instruction where it says: “Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps.” for Max-Effort workout days. I don’t fully understand what that means. My guess is that I pick what I think I can do 3-5 times and if I can do it for more than I pick a heavier weight and keep trying tell I can only do 3-5 reps. Is that correct? If so, should I start off with that I think I can do to 3-5 reps?

[quote]Digity wrote:
I might switch to Westside 4 Skinny Bastards since it’s not so centered on squats.

Although, I was confused by one instruction where it says: “Work up to a max set of 3-5 reps.” for Max-Effort workout days. I don’t fully understand what that means. My guess is that I pick what I think I can do 3-5 times and if I can do it for more than I pick a heavier weight and keep trying tell I can only do 3-5 reps. Is that correct? If so, should I start off with that I think I can do to 3-5 reps?[/quote]

Start out doing your warm up sets, then keep on adding weight until you can only do 3-5 reps at whatever weight that might end up being. If you’re a beginner, probably work up to a 5 rep max. Then after a while, work up to a 3 rep max. If your max is 300lbs, your workout might look like:
45x10, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3, 225x3, 260x5. Pretty much, your last set will be the highest weight you can do with 5 reps, or 3 reps, or whatever you’re trying to work up to.

Okay, I follow. Sadly, my bench is pathetic, but I’ll start off with an empty bar. BTW thanks for the explanation.

All that matters is that you’re improving, no matter how much weight you push. Just keep on training hard and smart.

Aiiight! I feel excited about this program. If I move to a gym with a squat rack I might go back to “Starting Strength”, but this program looks good/interesting.

Instead of squats, I’ve gone with deadlifts for my lower body max-effort workout. I’ll rotate it with front squats after 2-3 weeks.

Here’s my lower body workout:
A) Max-effort Lift: Straight Bar Deadlift

B) Unilateral Movement: Single Leg Squats

C) Hamstring: Leg Curls

D) Grip training: Plate pinch gripping (+ Wrist Curls)

I want the wrist curls to train me for when I switch to front squats for my max effort lift.

Holy fuck! I did this workout today. I’ve never sweated that much during weightlifting. The Max Effort lift really drains you…and I think I might have sprained my ankle…it’s got some weird pain. Anyway, hope that clears up soon, but I must say I liked the workout.

You could always ask Rip himself at strengthmill.net, he is a moderator with his own forum.

Although, with your question I don’t think he would be too nice.