T Nation

Best Program for Size?

Help me settle a argument

I own a gym and a young man just joined it and was looking for a program to put own muscles, says strength would be good but he was more interested in putting on size, well there are three camps at my gym, one telling him to do the westside barbell for skinny bastards, others the 10x3 program, and the third telling him the ABBH program, i have personally tried all three and they worked but to be honest i never finish either one so i told him my opinion wouldn’t be to good,

so i was wondering if you guys can give me your opinions so i can tell the man and settle the bet going own between all the guys. the losing parties have to sweep up and clean my gym for a month, so either way i am coming out the winner lol.

What exactly is the bet? You have a bunch of people with varrying opinions extolling the virtues of their fave program, you say you have tried them all think they all worked but did’t follow through so you dont have a overall opinion. And you would like us to give our opinions, which is basically more of the same. So what exactly is the bet?

The reason i haven’t followed through with the programs is because i have terminal brain cancer and currently have 2 inoperable brain tumors, it try by the grace of God to workout and i do good but after 3 or 4 weeks it just becomes to hard on me health wise and i have to take a lay off, trying working out with a brain tumor bigger than a softball, its not too easy, the bet is the loosing guys have to clean up the gym for a month like i wrote at the end of the question.

this is a respectable sight and they trust the opinion of the members here, so we figured this was the fairest way to settle their bet, i know every body responds different to exercise and also you have the how hard do you train and the rest and nutrition variables thrown in too so i know there is no perfect answer, what works for you may not work for me, this is one of those questions like who is hotter Mary Jane or Ginger, its each persons opinion.

But they agreed to go with the opionions of the majority. The winners get to puff up their chests in pride and the losers wipe up the sweat

I vote westside*.

Sorry to hear about your brain tumor. Hope that it all works out and you recover and can start lifting again. Stay strong.

*Any one of them will work for him, but I like westside training and its a good training regimine if he ever wants to get strong too.

Your question doesn’t have an answer. People have gotten big from all of the things listed (even though I know nothing about “ABBH”).

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Your question doesn’t have an answer. People have gotten big from all of the things listed (even though I know nothing about “ABBH”). [/quote]

You’d love it, it stands for “Anti Bodybuilding Hypertrophy” I do believe. It gives you the OTHER kind of big muscles, I guess.

Your question doesn’t have an answer. People have gotten big from all of the things listed (even though I know nothing about “ABBH”). [/quote]

x2

There is no answer. Virtually anything will work (for a limited time) as long as the diet is there.

exactly. nutrition will play the biggest role, not some fancy named workout.

Like i said earlier, i know there is no right or wrong answer, just like who would you rather be stuck with on Gilligan’s island, mary jane or ginger, either way your a winner, i know the boy is gonna get bigger and stronger with either program, but i am asking just to settle the bet between the guys, i know this is strictly a opinionated question, but based on your experiences if you only had one of them which would you pick. everybody agreed to go with the majority opinion

Gotcha. I’ve seen some impressive gains with westside style training. However if someone was experienced and was looking for adding size fast, I would suggest a cycle of GVT.

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Your question doesn’t have an answer. People have gotten big from all of the things listed (even though I know nothing about “ABBH”).

You’d love it, it stands for “Anti Bodybuilding Hypertrophy” I do believe. It gives you the OTHER kind of big muscles, I guess.[/quote]

FINALLY. Just what I’ve been waiting for, someone to take all of the building out of bodybuilding just so they can call it something else.

I am now very interested…why the hell would anyone be interested in “hypertrophy” that avoids what has worked for the guys working on nothing BUT hypertrophy for decades?

thanks everyone for your input, i believe i will give the boy advice on nutrition and supplements and tell him there is really not much different in the results on the programs, he will see positive results as long as he workout hard eats right and gets rest, and i believe i will give him links to all the programs so he can read about them himself and choose the one thats sounds best to him and fits his schedule, and as far as the guys and their bet,

i will tell them it was a tie and that they all won and loss so that they all take a week a piece and clean the gym, once again thanks for your help and input, and by the grace of God i will be healed enough this summer so i can finally complete not one but all three myself, you all have a great week this week

Mr.Purple wrote:
Professor X wrote:

You’d love it, it stands for “Anti Bodybuilding Hypertrophy” I do believe. It gives you the OTHER kind of big muscles, I guess.

FINALLY. Just what I’ve been waiting for, someone to take all of the building out of bodybuilding just so they can call it something else.

I am now very interested…why the hell would anyone be interested in “hypertrophy” that avoids what has worked for the guys working on nothing BUT hypertrophy for decades?

[/quote]

Come on, you know this one. Those guys are all part of a genetically advanced super race. That stuff doesn’t work for normal people. Also, roids.

Mr.Purple wrote:
Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

because they dont want to look like bodybuilders, duh

i also cant imagine how 10 sets of 3 would get anyone big.

i think classic splits are the way to go

a rank begginner can make headway off of TBT or any stimulis really.

i dont know about you guys either, but at least for me theres no program i can do 100% in accordance with the outlines anyway. i always change something to fit my own needs or problematic areas.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Mr.Purple wrote:
Professor X wrote:

because they dont want to look like bodybuilders, duh
[/quote]

LOL.

Even more interested. What does a guy look like who has big muscles but who avoids looking like…GASP…a bodybuilder?

[quote]reverend barbell wrote:
thanks everyone for your input, i believe i will give the boy advice on nutrition and supplements and tell him there is really not much different in the results on the programs, he will see positive results as long as he workout hard eats right and gets rest, and i believe i will give him links to all the programs so he can read about them himself and choose the one thats sounds best to him and fits his schedule, and as far as the guys and their bet,

i will tell them it was a tie and that they all won and loss so that they all take a week a piece and clean the gym, once again thanks for your help and input, and by the grace of God i will be healed enough this summer so i can finally complete not one but all three myself, you all have a great week this week[/quote]

…and we wish you luck.

Hey dude, I’m sorry to hear about your cancer. I know you didn’t ask for this kind of advice, but I read an article in Time magazine a couple weeks ago and would have felt guilty not passing it along. Maybe you could at least discuss this with your doctor.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1662484,00.html

Mr.Purple wrote:
Professor X wrote:

[/quote]

Man, I’m disappointed in you… That program is the brainchild of our favorite author… How could you have missed that one…

/sarcasm

Even more interested. What does a guy look like who has big muscles but who avoids looking like…GASP…a bodybuilder?

[/quote]

60 inch chest, 14-17 inch arms.