T Nation

Best Program for Gaining Mass

Whats the best workout program you have used for gaining mass? Finishing up on a full body workout and I’ve been contemplating a very different programs… just wondering what everyone has found to be the best program for them to gain muscle mass

[quote]bmitch wrote:
Whats the best workout program you have used for gaining mass? Finishing up on a full body workout and I’ve been contemplating a very different programs… just wondering what everyone has found to be the best program for them to gain muscle mass[/quote]

…a 5-6 day split training one to two body parts a day. The order of body parts isn’t even significant aside from attempting to avoid overworking any one muscle group. That is what I’ve done since day one. I would assume the last 100+lbs of gain in body weight qualifies as 'working".

Also, there is no one best program for gaining mass. However, body part splits have created more radical physical changes than any other regardless of how much research someone presents. If I choose an approach, it will be one that has worked for the majority of others, period.

The best program is the one you’re not doing.

1 Like

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
The best program is the one you’re not doing.[/quote]

soo true…but saying that will give most lifters a complete case of routine ADD. hell it used to happen to me all the damn time.

Well maybe not :slight_smile:
I hired CT for hypertrophy and besides the 1st two weeks my programs constantly are changing !
Always sore… always in pain… man i hate hypertrophy

^^

[quote]Corkonian wrote:
I hired CT for hypertrophy and besides the 1st two weeks my programs constantly are changing !

^^[/quote]

You must be new to training.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Corkonian wrote:

^^

You must be new to training.[/quote]

Just wondering professor , have you ever done TBT after doing splits of 1-2 bodyparts for awhile? Furthermore , have you used workouts created by authors on this site?

[quote]zooropa1150 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Corkonian wrote:

^^

Just wondering professor , have you ever done TBT after doing splits of 1-2 bodyparts for awhile? Furthermore , have you used workouts created by authors on this site? [/quote]

I have never used a routine from this site and have never tried TBT. In fact, I don’t know or care what most of the acronyms I see on this site stand for. I don’t know what “5x5” is or any of that. I knew how to make my muscles grow before I ever came to this site and knowing any of that has never made the difference in someone’s progress…obviously. I usually will read some or most of an article if someone posts an interesting question about what they read. I am actually surprised an article about “quick fast biceps training” that supposedly adds inches left and right is even on this forum.

I have tried the V-Diet until I found I was losing muscle mass on it way too drastically. It is now clear to me that it probably shouldn’t be tried by those carrying more muscle mass than average (or more specifically, possibly those with more lean body mass than 200+lbs). I would go into who else needs to avoid it but every time I do, those messages never end up remaining on screen.

I do a 4 day split and I love it. I always do 2 body parts a day.

Day 1: Legs and Shoulders
Day 2: Back and Calves
Day 3: Chest and Traps
Day 4: Biceps and Triceps

I sometimes add in a little bit of forearm work into my day 4 also.

This has worked for me pretty well.

zooropa1150 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Corkonian wrote:

^^

Just wondering professor , have you ever done TBT after doing splits of 1-2 bodyparts for awhile? Furthermore , have you used workouts created by authors on this site?

I have never used a routine from this site and have never tried TBT. In fact, I don’t know or care what most of the acronyms I see on this site stand for. I don’t know what “5x5” is or any of that. I knew how to make my muscles grow before I ever came to this site and knowing any of that has never made the difference in someone’s progress…obviously. I usually will read some or most of an article if someone posts an interesting question about what they read. I am actually surprised an article about “quick fast biceps training” that supposedly adds inches left and right is even on this forum.

I have tried the V-Diet until I found I was losing muscle mass on it way too drastically. It is now clear to me that it probably shouldn’t be tried by those carrying more muscle mass than average (or more specifically, possibly those with more lean body mass than 200+lbs). I would go into who else needs to avoid it but every time I do, those messages never end up remaining on screen.[/quote]

Pro X’s results are not typical, so don’t try this at home kids!

The majority of lifters do not respond as well to training as X, so that is why they are here looking for help improving their routines and training methodology. That is also why most people should pay attention to the research and what training experts have to say as well. While X may not need this information, most do.

A good split program with a good eating plant :slight_smile:

You can eat clean and still eat alot, it just takes work. But then again most things worth while do. I prefer a 5 day split program with Wed off. Of course I can workout out 2x’s a day with ease as I’ve given up my lunch hour @ work for working out and get up at 450am to get in a workout before work.

[quote]Lorisco wrote:
Professor X wrote:
zooropa1150 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Corkonian wrote:

^^

I have tried the V-Diet until I found I was losing muscle mass on it way too drastically. It is now clear to me that it probably shouldn’t be tried by those carrying more muscle mass than average (or more specifically, possibly those with more lean body mass than 200+lbs). I would go into who else needs to avoid it but every time I do, those messages never end up remaining on screen.

Pro X’s results are not typical, so don’t try this at home kids!

The majority of lifters do not respond as well to training as X, so that is why they are here looking for help improving their routines and training methodology. That is also why most people should pay attention to the research and what training experts have to say as well. While X may not need this information, most do.

[/quote]

Most of the information focused on isn’t even intended for rank beginners on this site. You seem to confuse where I stand. I’m a doctor. If I want to look at research, I go to the source, not some personal trainer’s interpretation of that research. Do you understand? That is why I don’t read many of these articles. I have nothing against most of these authors. It is only when people put “theory” in front of real world results that I even raise a voice.

Most everyone does a split it seems (purely anecdotal but I think most would agree). So, most everyone who is huge is going to be big from having a “chest” day and an “arms” day, but so are all of the small guys you see. I see some big dudes doing 15 sets of arms one day a week but there are a lot of guys who have little to show for years in the gym who do it the same way.

What is the difference? Genetics? Nutrition? Intensity? Consistency? The anecdotal evidence that Professor X seems to rely on (the big guys I see do splits) is inherently flawed in this regard.

If, out of 100 people, 80 do splits and 20 do full body (I suspect it’s probably more like 90-10), and there are 30 big guys who do splits and only 10 who do full body, you can say “most big guys do splits” and you would be right, but in terms of percentages, more people who do some sort of full body training would be bigger (50% vs. 26%).

Steve Reeves, imho, has the best “natural” physique of all-time. He trained a 3 day per week full body plan that had a lot of training volume on those days.

Serge Nubret himself posted Steve’s routine on another board if anyone is interested:

HST, as I understand it (I have never done it) is phenonmenal for pure hypertrophy (mass) and 3-days per week full body.

X- I’m not doubting that you are a big guy and, therefore, your training has worked, but what do you have to lose by swallowing your pride and trying something else for an 8 week cycle? I suspect you may say that your plan works so you are going to keep doing that (why change it), but if that were true, by my count, you would be 650 pounds by now. Certainly you have something in your physique you would like to improve. That’s part of what bodybuilding is- experimenting with your body to see how you can maximize size, symetry, and development. People do change it up too much and get caught up in fads, but switching it up twice a year between 2 programs you know work for you (and stimulate new growth) seems reasonable enough. Just to be clear, I’m not attacking you or even questioning your approach, and I’m not saying you never adjust or change your program, but it does seem to be the case that your fundamental approach 4-5+ days a week bodypart split is sacrosanct for some reason and I am interested in hearing your response (which I’m sure you’ve given before but I haven’t had the pleasure of reading it).

[quote]trextacy wrote:
X- I’m not doubting that you are a big guy and, therefore, your training has worked, but what do you have to lose by swallowing your pride and trying something else for an 8 week cycle?
[/quote]

Flawed logic. What do I have to gain?

Flawed logic. What do I have to gain?[/quote]

I was going to leave my response at that but I doubt you know what I meant by it.

You have peak years from about the age of 15 to maybe 35 to make the most of your greatest potential. After that, it will be much harder to make the same progress you would have made while in those optimal years.

There are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of gurus and personal trainers with books out who all claim their product is the greatest.

It would be foolish to take the stance that all of these routines need to be tried out just in case one may work better than what is already producing results.

You don’t have that kind of time. What you should have is common sense enough to understand the basics, find what it takes for you to see progress and then use that method until it stops producing results.

You see, THAT is why I keep asking for pictures…and I don’t mean of one or two exceptions to the rule. If someone is going to claim that I need to quit doing what has worked for me and so many others (some of which compete and are considered the best)… in order to “see” if something else which doesn’t seem to be producing anywhere near the same results in others MAY work…they have obviously lost enough brain cells to need a daily babysitter.

Professor X wrote:

Flawed logic. What do I have to gain?

I was going to leave my response at that but I doubt you know what I meant by it.

You have peak years from about the age of 15 to maybe 35 to make the most of your greatest potential. After that, it will be much harder to make the same progress you would have made while in those optimal years.

There are literally thousands, if not millions, of gurus and personal trainers with books out who all claim their product is the greatest.

It would be foolish to take the stance that all of these routines need to be tried out just in case one may work better than what is already producing results.

You don’t have that kind of time. What you should have is common sense enough to understand the basics, find what it takes for you to see progress and then use that method until it stops producing results.

You see, THAT is why I keep asking for pictures…and I don’t mean of one or two exceptions to the rule. If someone is going to claim that I need to quit doing what has worked for me… in order to “see” if something else which doesn’t seem to be producing anywhere near the same results in others MAY work…they have obviously lost enough brain cells to need a daily babysitter.[/quote]

Okay, what is your method and why do you believe it works?

[quote]trextacy wrote:

Okay, what is your method and why do you believe it works?[/quote]

I went into much of that here:
http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=651079

Not much has changed in my program since this was written aside from me doing a different exercise or two for biceps and legs…and that is only because I went to a different gym, tried a different machine or movement and felt a difference in DOMS.

if that doesn’t answer your questions, then ask specifically.

I “believe” it works because my muscles grow and I get stronger. What else would I base it on?

Westside, WSSB, and DC have worked the best for me…

But it really comes down to being consistant. Consistantly progressing. and DIET DIET DIET.

trextacy wrote:

Not much has changed in my program since this was written aside from me doing a different exercise or two for biceps and legs…and that is only because I went to a different gym, tried a different machine or movement and felt a difference in DOMS.

I “believe” it works because my muscles grow and I get stronger. What else would I base it on?[/quote]

Thanks for the links and your response. On the last part, what I meant was what about your particular approach do you think (believe) makes it work? IOW, why split things up the way you do and why the set/rep schemes, etc.? What about those parameters do you think makes your program “optimum” as compared to another set of parameters? I have to assume you are not just doing it because it works, but because it works best.

trextacy wrote:

I “believe” it works because my muscles grow and I get stronger. What else would I base it on?[/quote]

Hello X,

I’ve been following alot of the threads that you participate in, enjoyable read. I just read the thread you posted…my question is the safety factor in your using HS machines primarily. I train alone in a home gym, so everything is free weight, I know I’m nowhere near as strong as you are but I do have concerns especially when I bench press, as a solo trainer would you recommend my switching to primarily dumbbell movements?..I have a set that will allow me to go as high as 125 eventually and beyond if I buy the add on kit.