Best Program for a Crushing Grip

Well, I really SHOULD be studying female pathophysiology right now, but I felt it was more “T-Nation” like to make a post about Grip training.

I know there are lots of posts and opinions out there on this, so I won’t belabor the point.

I’ve been using the CoC grippers for awhile now, but with no real schedule or idea of the BEST routine to use. I see many websites say to strictly do static (isometric) holds to increase the crushing strength, and then I see many say to do low rep work. Some say do both.

Just wondering what a good program would look like…ie, how many sets X reps on the isotonic days. How LONG should holds be, for how many sets, on the isometric days. How often should I be doing this?

I’m also incorporating thick-bar work, extensor work, etc, so no worries on that, as I know crushing strength isn’t the end-all be-all of grip strength. But is sure is FUN to do, and there will be something quite nice about one day slamming that no. 3 shut (if my small hands permit).

So, share some gripper routines if ya want, or just some general advice, as there seems to (me) to be a lot of mixed info out there on gripper training. Also, do you guys do anything to strengthen the individual fingers? I was thinking I could use my puny store-bought 30lb gripper for pinky/ring finger work? Or would that be a horrible idea?

Cheers

I am still working on getting the number 3 closed so im def no expert, but I am using a program I read in the back of “Captains of Crush grippers:What they are and how to close them.”

This is by Nathan Holle who has closed the number 4. Basically you want to do the most minimal warmup u can get away with, then start with the gripper you are working on closing. Do 4-6 singles resting a few minutes in between. Basically do singles even if you only get a few mm’s of movement.

After this move onto a gripper that you can close and do 4-6 more singles. This is done 3 times a week. It seems to be working for me so far, but I find I have to do a lot of recovery stuff such as contrast baths and massage to keep my hands from aching too much.

I’d probally take a few weeks off of the CoC. grippers if you’ve been using them regularly. I just got my farmer walk handles few weeks ago. They rock. Also this past winter I trained my hands by filling a bucket of sand and sticking my hand in it and opening and closing as fast as possible and trying to dig deeper and deeper. If you can get to 2 mins. you’ve passed me. Warning : this will fry your fingers!!!

Also check out: http://www.gripboard.com/

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I wouldn’t say I’m doing the CoC grippers too regularly, to be honest…only about twice/week. My hands definitely get sore after doing the grippers plus extension work with rubber bands.

I will give singles a try, even with the gripper I can’t close yet. I also ordered some “Tyler grips” from Elite, to work on my static hold strength and hopefully beef up my thenar eminence :wink: (my hands are small, so I need that extra beef to keep the gripper in place).

What about workin individual fingers? Do you guys do anything for that?

[quote]thebigbus wrote:
Thanks for the tips, guys.

I wouldn’t say I’m doing the CoC grippers too regularly, to be honest…only about twice/week. My hands definitely get sore after doing the grippers plus extension work with rubber bands.

I will give singles a try, even with the gripper I can’t close yet. I also ordered some “Tyler grips” from Elite, to work on my static hold strength and hopefully beef up my thenar eminence :wink: (my hands are small, so I need that extra beef to keep the gripper in place).

What about workin individual fingers? Do you guys do anything for that? [/quote]

Hey, I hear you man on the small hands, my hands are MAYBE 6 1/4-1/2 inches from wrist to tips. Tyler grips look cool, ive found double overhand holds worked really well for developing your hands also. If your looking to build up your wrist strength look into doing some levering with something(i load up weights on the end of one of my longer plate loaded dumbbell handles and it works great). Dont forget to hit that neck harness hard to, you gotta have a thick neck to go with the forearms :wink: