Best Program for a Beginner?

which of your programs do you recommend for a beginner? i don’t think i’m at the stage yet where i can adapt the layer system for a beginner. thanks!

[quote]acon wrote:
which of your programs do you recommend for a beginner? i don’t think i’m at the stage yet where i can adapt the layer system for a beginner. thanks![/quote]

HPMass would be a good start. But really, if you are a true beginner the important thing is to learn proper form on the big basic movements that will bring you results for the rest of your training life… don’t worry about the method yet.

no, your high tension training would be better, ESPECIALLY if the prospective training is underconditioned and a littls “soft”

and pleas CT, dont give me the whiny “its too hard to teach OL’s” i can teach them to the average noob in just a few training sessions, the power versions that is. witch is good enough.

that program to me (who still useless it now and again was far ahead of its time, and sorry, i dont thing there has been much put out there better with exeption of Wendlers 531.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
no, your high tension training would be better, ESPECIALLY if the prospective training is underconditioned and a littls “soft”

and pleas CT, dont give me the whiny “its too hard to teach OL’s” i can teach them to the average noob in just a few training sessions, the power versions that is. witch is good enough.

that program to me (who still useless it now and again was far ahead of its time, and sorry, i dont thing there has been much put out there better with exeption of Wendlers 531.

[/quote]

True, that was a good program… but it is not in article form so it might be hard to find. And I agree, it is fairly easy to learn the basic olympic lifts if you do not have mobility issues. I do have weekly classes for beginner olympic lifters and they catch on pretty quick.

@CT and heavythrower. thanks for the responses. i agree that form is probably most important right now, and i’ve been practicing the OL’s with low weight.

OP do you have a specific goal in mind?

I don’t normally recommend Starting Strength (or the squat/power clean form advised in the book), but that is honestly one of the best training systems out there for true beginners. Makes you hit the compound lifts more than once a week so you can get the feeling for the technique… also lets you cash in on your newbie gains by adding weight every workout.