T Nation

Best Post Workout Meal?

I’ve been trying to lose body fat, which has been a success due to diet and a little bit more cardio. So far, I’ve cut down from 21% to 16%. My goal is to reach 6-9% in the next few months. I’ve gone from 226 to 205, within the past two months.

Out of all things, my diet has had the most radical change. I’ve cut out McD’s, ice cream, and all that other crap that tastes oh so good…but oh so adds the weight.

I’ve always taken in large doses of protein. Now I’ve been taking in even more, and eating more veggies. I do have rolled oats, like oatmeal, and even add extra fiber. Most of the complex carbs, like the oatmeal, I normally consume after a workout. I eat a ton of steak, and chicken, along with fish. One of these items I’ll usually have after a workout, with a good carb. I also enjoy large doses of scrambled eggs. Every now and then a whey protein powder.

My diet is going good, I’m losing the fat, but…I need some killer post workout meal ideas that I’ll actually look forward to eating. For those of you who are in the contest scene, or below 10% BF and keep it that way, what do you normally consume following a strenuous workout?

Apple juice

Surge http://www.T-Nation.com/productInfo.do?id=459244

Its actually pretty cheap if you compare how much you would normally pay for a PWO meal/drink.

I alternate between a PWO shake formula and real food, such as steak, eggs, potatoes.

[quote]Ansom4 wrote:
Surge http://www.T-Nation.com/productInfo.do?id=459244

Its actually pretty cheap if you compare how much you would normally pay for a PWO meal/drink. [/quote]

That looks interesting. Thanks for the advice.

this will spike your insulin. but sure does hit the spot. corn flakes with honey and skim milk!

and congrats on results so far. I haven’t had mcdonalds, burger king. wndys. culvers. , dq food ( still eat the ice cream) hardees or taco bell in over 1.5 yrs.!!! working now on cutting out unncesarry carbs and grains/breads. and more protein only near bedtime.

[quote]MNguns wrote:
and congrats on results so far. I haven’t had mcdonalds, burger king. wndys. culvers. , dq food ( still eat the ice cream) hardees or taco bell in over 1.5 yrs.!!! working now on cutting out unncesarry carbs and grains/breads. and more protein only near bedtime.[/quote]

Dude you’re a champion! That freakin’ long? Amazing! I’m really trying, thanks for the support. Not much support from those out there who eat that crap everyday. I’m thankful for T-Nation. Always willing to slap you into shape.

wasn’t easy at 1st. after couple months its no biggie. when I’m outside and u can smell burger king and mcdonalds , it f***** sucks. but I’m at the point that when I see people from work bring in a bag of fast greasey food and there 32 oz. drink. I just think to myself “u fat lazy disgusting greasey b****” lol.

Grape juice or Gatorade powder mixed with one scoop of whey powder post-workout.

Or I have Lonnie Lowery’s suggested groundbreaking, innovative post-workout meal: a can of tuna and a glass or two of orange juice.

No Surge purchased.

Brick (or anyone else who cares to answer, but Brick is the dietitian), probably a stupid question but…in terms of PWO, is there any reason to distinguish between a CNS intensive workout where glycogen depletion is not so much and other workouts? I’m wondering if I might go overboard on carbs/sugars if I don’t.

I’m not a sports dietitian, but a CNS-intensive workout is usually lower in volume than a metabolic-intensive workout.

Charles Poliquin pointed this out once; if you’re doing a strength-power-focused workout, you don’t need as many carbs (i.e.: 25 total reps for a muscle group vs. > 50 reps for a muscle group). He actually has an article or chart somewhere, indicating how many carbs to ingest after a workout secondary to how much volume performed.

Thank you Brick, I’ll see if I can find that article.

debraD if you found it can you paste the link here? haha i tried looking. i guess my T-Nation search button skills are fading

[quote]tayjeremy wrote:
debraD if you found it can you paste the link here? haha i tried looking. i guess my T-Nation search button skills are fading[/quote]

I haven’t had any luck yet but if I do I’ll post a link here.

From CriticalBench.com: criticalbench.com/Charles-Poliquin.htm

Charles Poliquin:

"As a general rule, I would recommend the following carbohydrate intake based on training volume for a given workout:

12-72 reps per workout: 0.6 g/Kg/LBM
73-200 reps per workout: 0.8 g/kg/LBM
200-360 reps per workout: 1.0 g/kg/LBM
360-450 reps per workout: 1.2 g/kg/LBM
Calculate Your LBM

Regarding the source of carbohydrates post-workout, I have experimented with various sources, I like using fruit juices with a high glycemic index (i.e. pineapple, grape) to provide 30-40% of the carbs, the rest of the carbs coming from carb powders such as Ultra Fuel from Twinlab.

For variety sake, I will use different types of juice like a berry blend. You can also any type of mushy fruit like bananas or peaches. For seriously underweight athletes, I may use pineapple and/or corn flakes to drive the glycemic index upwards. Instead of using maltodextrin, you can also use desiccated honey."

Thank you Brick!!

:smiley:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
From CriticalBench.com: criticalbench.com/Charles-Poliquin.htm

Charles Poliquin:

"As a general rule, I would recommend the following carbohydrate intake based on training volume for a given workout:

12-72 reps per workout: 0.6 g/Kg/LBM
73-200 reps per workout: 0.8 g/kg/LBM
200-360 reps per workout: 1.0 g/kg/LBM
360-450 reps per workout: 1.2 g/kg/LBM
Calculate Your LBM

Regarding the source of carbohydrates post-workout, I have experimented with various sources, I like using fruit juices with a high glycemic index (i.e. pineapple, grape) to provide 30-40% of the carbs, the rest of the carbs coming from carb powders such as Ultra Fuel from Twinlab.

For variety sake, I will use different types of juice like a berry blend. You can also any type of mushy fruit like bananas or peaches. For seriously underweight athletes, I may use pineapple and/or corn flakes to drive the glycemic index upwards. Instead of using maltodextrin, you can also use desiccated honey."[/quote]

What’s a “rep” in terms of effort? Are we talking really heavy weight? I’ll go ahead and assume every rep in the above sample would be for the same given weight.

Basically that’s a shitload of carbs! Fun :slight_smile:

hmmm Charles is being mysterious again.

With this, those idiots in my gym doing 10 sets of every exercise with pink dumbbells should be going crazy.

Tayjeremy,

I don’t know how Charles came up with those recommendations; of course he has his reasons.

I don’t go that overboard with post-workout nutrition. I incur a pretty big caloric expenditure from my total-body workouts using big-bang exercises.

I keep it simple: 1 to 2 scoop of whey protein powder with 2 cups of grape juice or 2 to 3 servings of Gatorate powder.