Best Platform (Gun Talk)

Let’s see:

FAL = Jean-Claude Van Damme. Belgian, natch.

HK91 = Arnold Schwarzenegger. Yeah, I know he’s Austrian. Deal with it. He’s an HK91, not an AUG.

M1 Garand = Clint Eastwood. Wasn’t in the Expendables, but it fits so fuck it.

M14 = Chuck Norris. Of course.

AR-10 = Bruce Willis. Yippee kay-yay, motherfucker.

AR-15 = Sylvester Stallone. Because why the fuck not?

SA80 = Jason Statham. Not a great rifle, not even a terribly old rifle, sorry Jason, but it’s the only British assault rifle out there.

AK-47 = Dolph Lundgren. Because he played a Russian in Rocky IV. Actually he’s a better fit for the Dragunov rifle (Ivan Drago, get it?) but once again, fuck it.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
[/quote]

I always pictured Stallone as more of a handgun type of guy…

[quote]2busy wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
[/quote]

I always pictured Stallone as more of a handgun type of guy…[/quote]

Dunno bout that.

Well… yea.

But that bunny was in trouble.

And none of those were AR’s, lol

[quote]2busy wrote:
And none of those were AR’s, lol[/quote]

Oh for fuck’s sake.

THERE!!!

Happy?

:slight_smile:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]2busy wrote:
And none of those were AR’s, lol[/quote]

Oh for fuck’s sake.

THERE!!!

Happy?

:)[/quote]

Ok. II’m Happy.

lol

Varq, what do you think about optics? I’m looking at the tactical .308 scopes, figure they would work fine for hunting as well.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Varq, what do you think about optics? I’m looking at the tactical .308 scopes, figure they would work fine for hunting as well.[/quote]

I’ve always been of two minds about glass on a battle rifle. On the one hand, I like being able to see what I’m shooting, and out past 300 meters or so, target identification gets a bit sketchy. On the other hand, a scope adds weight, throws off the balance, is always banging against some part of your anatomy, and I’m always leery that the damned thing’s going to get bumped and break, or crack, or at best lose zero. So I have always been a hard-line iron sights guy.

That said, a good ACOG or Luopold Mark 4 would be a valuable addition to a rifle that will be used both as a hunting implement and also for social work out past 300.

Shit, I honestly think we scared Quasi-Tech off.

I warned him not to get me started talking about guns.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

I warned him not to get me started talking about guns. [/quote]

Varq, I posted earlier about your opinions on the DPMS Panther Arms LR-.243 and the AR-10 in .243. It is going to be a dedicated coyote rifle, and I have no experience with semi auto rifles outside of a Remington 7400 that I was given as a kid. I wanted a little more pop than a .223, but stepping up to the .308 would be overkill. Looked into the .25/06 and the .22/250 but ammo is a great deal harder to find in those two. If you don’t like the DPMS brand that criticism would also be welcomed.

“Dedicated coyote rifle”: a rifle for dedicated coyotes.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Varq, I posted earlier about your opinions on the DPMS Panther Arms LR-.243 and the AR-10 in .243. It is going to be a dedicated coyote rifle, and I have no experience with semi auto rifles outside of a Remington 7400 that I was given as a kid. I wanted a little more pop than a .223, but stepping up to the .308 would be overkill. Looked into the .25/06 and the .22/250 but ammo is a great deal harder to find in those two. If you don’t like the DPMS brand that criticism would also be welcomed.[/quote]

That’s right. Sorry about that. I didn’t mean to ignore your post.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don’t have any strong opinions regarding the various brands of AR rifles. There really are too many to keep up with, and aside from the SIG 716, I just don’t have a lot of interest in the platform.

That said, the AR is a great varmint rifle, capable of fantastic inherent long-range accuracy if you put enough money into it, and don’t care so much about weight. I’ve heard good things said about DPMS Panther Arms, so I wouldn’t worry that you’d be getting a piece of crap.

As to caliber, coyotes are tough little bastards. Pushharder once told a story about shooting a coyote with a .338/378 Weatherby at 225 paces. It failed to kill him, and Push had to track the animal to a frozen river, where he ended up dispatching him with a .45 automatic. So I don’t think .308 is overkill by any means.

It really depends on what calibers you already have, and whether you can get an AR chambered in one of them. I will always suggest the military cartridges, simply because I know that they will always be around, but if you have a rifle chambered in something else (and a supply of ammo for it) then it pays to standardize. Do you still have the 7400? Is it chambered in .243? If so then there you go (then again, if you already have a rifle chambered in that round, why not use that one as your coyote rifle?). If not, then if it were me, I’d get the 7.62 (.308) and load it with something like the Hornady 110 grain VMax I mentioned before.

Well, that’s not true. If it were really me, I would probably wouldnt have a dedicated coyote rifle (i’d rather have one rifle that does a lot of things includi g kill coyotes) but you know what I mean.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
“Dedicated coyote rifle”: a rifle for dedicated coyotes.

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Varq, I posted earlier about your opinions on the DPMS Panther Arms LR-.243 and the AR-10 in .243. It is going to be a dedicated coyote rifle, and I have no experience with semi auto rifles outside of a Remington 7400 that I was given as a kid. I wanted a little more pop than a .223, but stepping up to the .308 would be overkill. Looked into the .25/06 and the .22/250 but ammo is a great deal harder to find in those two. If you don’t like the DPMS brand that criticism would also be welcomed.[/quote]

That’s right. Sorry about that. I didn’t mean to ignore your post.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don’t have any strong opinions regarding the various brands of AR rifles. There really are too many to keep up with, and aside from the SIG 716, I just don’t have a lot of interest in the platform.

That said, the AR is a great varmint rifle, capable of fantastic inherent long-range accuracy if you put enough money into it, and don’t care so much about weight. I’ve heard good things said about DPMS Panther Arms, so I wouldn’t worry that you’d be getting a piece of crap.

As to caliber, coyotes are tough little bastards. Pushharder once told a story about shooting a coyote with a .338/378 Weatherby at 225 paces. It failed to kill him, and Push had to track the animal to a frozen river, where he ended up dispatching him with a .45 automatic. So I don’t think .308 is overkill by any means.

It really depends on what calibers you already have, and whether you can get an AR chambered in one of them. I will always suggest the military cartridges, simply because I know that they will always be around, but if you have a rifle chambered in something else (and a supply of ammo for it) then it pays to standardize. Do you still have the 7400? Is it chambered in .243? If so then there you go (then again, if you already have a rifle chambered in that round, why not use that one as your coyote rifle?). If not, then if it were me, I’d get the 7.62 (.308) and load it with something like the Hornady 110 grain VMax I mentioned before.

Well, that’s not true. If it were really me, I would probably wouldnt have a dedicated coyote rifle (i’d rather have one rifle that does a lot of things includi g kill coyotes) but you know what I mean. [/quote]

The 7400 is a 30/06 that I usually let my wife use for deer hunting. I also have a bolt 30/06 that I use personally, or a 30/30 lever that I use as my all purpose gun. Inside 100 it will devastate a 'yote. My major issue here is that I don’t want to tinker with my rifle once I get it set to a particular deer load and would like something a little hotter and faster to bridge the gap between my big .30 cals and my .22 rimfire.

Plus I always want another gun, and since I don’t handload, finding different grain factory ammo that will have a similar points of aim is next to impossible. So I am left treating my guns like golf clubs. I did read somewhere that the DPMS LR line is based off of a SASS type rifle and has some compatibility issues with the AR types.

And I have not been overly discriminate to this point about what I shot a coyote with. Two years ago I just about cut one in half with my 45/70 shooting a 405 gr soft point at about 15 yards. I have always tried to find that front shoulder plate as it has a tendency to not allow them to run as far, if at all. A well placed shot on that shoulder bone or a head shot creates a little less work.

Feeling a bit philosophical.

Thomas Aquinas once said “homo unius libri timero”, which means “beware the man of one book”.

As someone who likes to dabble in religious debate, I can tell you that this is a true statement: fundamentalists are always more dangerous than less orthodox believers, both in general and in the debating arena. If you’ve ever been up against a real Bible scholar (or a Torah scholar, or a Quranic scholar, for that matter) you will soon realize that he knows that one book better than you ever will with your library of books, and will cut you to ribbons with it. You literally don’t have a prayer.

Similarly, beware the man with only one gun. Chances are he knows how to use it. I would much rather be the guy with one rifle that I know as intimately as a lover, am familiar with all its idiosyncrasies, and can predict its point of impact under any conditions, with any load I choose to put into its chamber, than I would to have a whole safe full of rifles that I can shoot pretty well. I’m nowhere near that level of skill, but that is my ideal.

It may not be your ideal, and that’s fine. Most people would not choose to play eighteen holes of golf with only a seven-iron… but beware the man who can!

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
Feeling a bit philosophical.

Thomas Aquinas once said “homo unius libri timero”, which means “beware the man of one book”.

As someone who likes to dabble in religious debate, I can tell you that this is a true statement: fundamentalists are always more dangerous than less orthodox believers, both in general and in the debating arena. If you’ve ever been up against a real Bible scholar (or a Torah scholar, or a Quranic scholar, for that matter) you will soon realize that he knows that one book better than you ever will with your library of books, and will cut you to ribbons with it. You literally don’t have a prayer.

Similarly, beware the man with only one gun. Chances are he knows how to use it. I would much rather be the guy with one rifle that I know as intimately as a lover, am familiar with all its idiosyncrasies, and can predict its point of impact under any conditions, with any load I choose to put into its chamber, than I would to have a whole safe full of rifles that I can shoot pretty well. I’m nowhere near that level of skill, but that is my ideal.

It may not be your ideal, and that’s fine. Most people would not choose to play eighteen holes of golf with only a seven-iron… but beware the man who can! [/quote]

Maybe this should be a new thread… but which books would be in your short list?

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

Varq, you didn’t scare me off. The weekend came, and before I left for work Friday the thread hadn’t been touched for a while. We had Monday off (Grandparent Day) as I understand by translation. So I was home doing other things.

I’ll try to catch up on the reading. I see scanning we derailed slightly, but seem to be getting back on course.

In the brief conversation between you and Beth, I hope my manliness wasn’t being called into question. If it was, I suppose I can’t challenge - I haven’t gone through any traditional “rites of manhood” like slapping a lion in the face, or surviving the wild alone. I’m considering something similar to this but it takes time to prep. If by being a man you mean responsible, honorable, and steadfast than most certainly. But I have no desire to try to prove anything on a forum, it matters only to those to whom I’m responsible to.

I’ll give the posts a read and respond. Thanks for taking the time. And you won’t scare me off. I’ll usually stick around until I can see nothing else to be gained, or I deem a topic better off without my input.

Unless you’re going to eat the meat or sell the hide there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to coyote.