Best Plan for the Natural Lifter

Yeah, as JC mentionned why would I had written it if I didn’t think it was enough volume???

I did even less volume for my photoshoot prep and kept progressing despite getting lean:

There are 4 main variables to play with:

• volume
  • intensity/how hard you work
  • frequency (how often you train)
  • load (how heavy you go)

When one goes up a lot others must come down. I now prefer to go higher on the second (how hard) and third (how often) than on volume. And I keep the 4th variable, somewhat high, but not “strength training high”.

If 3 of the variables are high you will crash… in fact having 2 high variables can also be touchy if you go TOO high.

Now, “how hard” you train to me is how far you push your work sets. For example:

4- Going past the point of failure (rest/pause, drop sets, assisted reps, etc.) would be the highest level

3- Going to failure (but not beyond) is training hard

2- Stopping 1 or 2 reps short of failure is normal

1- Stopping 3+ rest short of failure is lower level of intensity

Right now I’m doing level 4 and 3 on most exercises and 2 on some movements like deadlifts and squats. So I can’t do a lot of volume: I do one work set at the highest level and 2 or 3 preparation sets at level 2.

In the past I did lots of phases where my intensity was mostly level 1 and 3 but did tons of volume. But I find that this is taking its toll as I’m getting holder and eat less.

2 Likes