Best Plan for Losing Fat and Building Muscle at an "Older" Age?

If this has been asked before i apologize, and please feel free to point me in the direction i need to go to find that post.

But i am 42, have had a great deal of exp with lifting over my life but have been out of it for quite a while and have turned into a soft overweight mess.

While im not exactly looking to get a six pack all ripped look, i do want to get back into some sort of respectable shape. I have been hitting the gym for the past 4 or 5 months. Currently i am giving GVT a shot to hopefully build up some muscle and burn off some of the excess fat in the process.

I wanted to see if anyone had any advice on what may be the best rout to go for someone at my age to get some good results. I have seen a change in my appearance with what ive been doing so far, but i wanted to see if there was maybe a plan out there that i could be doing that would get me quicker results.

Right now im lifting 3 days a week, doing HIIT on the off days, and the weekend is when i work so im not able to do anything other than walk up and down flights of stairs all night.

Im about 5’8 and 235 pounds currently. The only thing other than my weekend night work schedule that holds me back is that i have bad shoulders so i dont do things like dips and i usually avoid bench presses unless i am using a plate loaded bench and not a straight bar.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Props for committing to improving yourself, and congrats on the progress you’ve already made.

My advice is, be patient. I know it’s easier said than done (I’m as impatient as the next guy), but it’s the key to long-term, lasting success. Unless you’re an absolute tank underneath the layer of fat you’re carrying, you’ve got a lot of weight left to lose. (For perspective: @The_Mighty_Stu is a tank, and about your height; he weighed in the 160s-170s contest-lean, and ~200# in full-house, offseason mode.) If you can achieve and maintain a weight-loss rate of ~1#/week, that’s fantastic progress, and will get you where you want to be. But note that even at that ideal rate, it will still take you another year to get fairly lean (not contest-lean, just I-don’t-mind-taking-my-shirt-off-at-the-pool lean).

So, focus on the long game. It took a while to get out of shape; it’s going to take much longer to get back into it. There are no shortcuts–no ‘secret’ workout programs that will speed your fat loss. So stick with whatever sort of regimen you like the most (because you’re more likely to do a workout you enjoy than one you don’t), and find an eating lifestyle you can live with (and your loved ones can put up with). Best of luck.

3 Likes

Only half joking:

104-600x240

1 Like

I wouldn’t call that photo “patience”. Reread EyeDentist.

Little late to the party,
 but what sort of progress have you seen in the last 5-6 mos?

S

about 30ish pounds down from my highest weight, have noticed some size and strength gains as well, as of late the scale has not moved much but in all honesty im not all that worried about the number as much as i am about how i look.

Id like to start a 4 day split in a couple weeks once i finish 4 or 5 weeks of the GVT. Main focus is on size and fat loss. But i dont want to have to spend 90 mins to 2 hours in the gym everyday.

Id like to be hitting each muscle group twice a week, Any advice on how to pull that off and not spend all day in the gym?