T Nation

Best Places to Buy Equipment?

I’ve got Iron Woody’s.

Can people list places to get good equipment.
If the mods need us to keep it to some sponsor sites, let me know.

I need:
X-vest
Dip belt
plates for dumbells
Squat rack, ideally with 1 inch spaces but 2" is OK.

Would like
Front squat harness
Manta Ray
Preacher bench
That deadlift bar thing that you stand inside of

A real good multi angle pulldown/row with lots of weight capacity-ideally with a weight stack.

Heavy medicine balls

other cool stuff

elitefts.com 3x3 or 2x2 rack. theyre not the cheapo $200-300 power rack youd buy at a sporting goods store, but you could leave it to your kids in your will, because it will outlast you.

3x3 is the first thing i am buying when i have my own house with a garage. and i mean THE FIRST- before new bedroom sets and this and that.

Not exactly in your backyard, but if you were planning on dropping a shitload of money for S&H anyway, check out:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/

I bought 4k worth of equip from them to build a home gym and have zero complaints. I love elitefts, but honestly for most things like plates/DB’s/bars/chin-dip stations, I’ll go with the much lower priced stuff. #1, I’m a cheap bastard. #2, 45 pounds weighs the same regardless of what you paid for it upfront. I think they have damn near everything on your list. As a disclaimer, I have no affiliation with them at all. It just happens to be an hour away from me.

[quote]biglifter wrote:
Not exactly in your backyard, but if you were planning on dropping a shitload of money for S&H anyway, check out:

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/

I bought 4k worth of equip from them to build a home gym and have zero complaints. I love elitefts, but honestly for most things like plates/DB’s/bars/chin-dip stations, I’ll go with the much lower priced stuff. #1, I’m a cheap bastard. #2, 45 pounds weighs the same regardless of what you paid for it upfront. I think they have damn near everything on your list. As a disclaimer, I have no affiliation with them at all. It just happens to be an hour away from me.

[/quote]

I wouldn’t buy most of that stuff. I did in the past and was very unhappy with it. I still have a New York Barbells GHR and it sucks. Somebody over there copies off of the big boys but they miss the boat on most items.

The money spent on EFS, Williams Strength or Legend stuff is well worth it.

You’re in Colorado, go on craigslist.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
elitefts.com 3x3 or 2x2 rack. theyre not the cheapo $200-300 power rack youd buy at a sporting goods store, but you could leave it to your kids in your will, because it will outlast you.

3x3 is the first thing i am buying when i have my own house with a garage. and i mean THE FIRST- before new bedroom sets and this and that. [/quote]

LOL we’ll see when you get married :wink:

[quote]101airborne wrote:
You’re in Colorado, go on craigslist.[/quote]

yeah I would check there first, although I can never find any good deals :confused:

I really like Bodysolid racks - reasonable price and built to last. Some of the home gym versions come with a lifetime guarantee. We have had ours up to over 750 lbs on the the pins and on the rack and it held up great; they also have a nice chin bar built in.

For the dip belt definitely go with APT, you will get your best deal from there and they are also well built.

With regard to plates, you should keep an eye on craigslist/ebay for gyms that are closing down, and also may want to check Play It Again Sports to see if they have any second hand equipment for a good price.

The deadlift bar that you stand inside of is called a “trap bar” and you should be able to find one of them for a good price if you search around. I wouldn’t spend money on a front squat harness.

elitefts if you got they money

cragslist if you dont

Front Squat Harness from www.getstrength.com

Just last week I found 2 Icarian benches on Craigslist for $25 each. One was flat and the other was a seated DB bench. Both were in excellent condition and if I hadn’t bought them from an athletic training center I’d swear they were stolen. I know this was an unusual find but I have found other great deals by just checking the site every few days.

http://www.strengthequipment.net/ Custom built and very hardcore equipment. Steve the owner has been in the business for a very long time.