Best Place to Buy Chains

I think I have found it:
http://www.liftinglarge.com/chains.htm

I have been wanting to add these to my arsenal for awhile.
Anyone see a better deal than this?

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
I think I have found it:

Anyone see a better deal than this?[/quote]

I have been looking at the same chains:

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/accessories.php

I thought ironwoody made them. The prices are almost identical, but Lifting Large beats Iron Woody by $0.95 on many of the packages. Which is insignificant, but interesting that someone else could sell their product for less than the original.

I haven’t seen anything cheaper. I’ve looked at the hardware stores around (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, True Value) and they only carry chains up to 3/8". I don’t know if you can get them much cheaper if you could find a chain wholesale supply or not, but I think these are a great deal.

Which ones where you thinking about getting?

[quote]Modi wrote:
Julius_Caesar wrote:
I think I have found it:

Anyone see a better deal than this?

I have been looking at the same chains:

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/accessories.php

I thought ironwoody made them. The prices are almost identical, but Lifting Large beats Iron Woody by $0.95 on many of the packages. Which is insignificant, but interesting that someone else could sell their product for less than the original.

I haven’t seen anything cheaper. I’ve looked at the hardware stores around (Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, True Value) and they only carry chains up to 3/8". I don’t know if you can get them much cheaper if you could find a chain wholesale supply or not, but I think these are a great deal.

Which ones where you thinking about getting?[/quote]

This is the next question actually in my mind. I am thinking of getting one of the sets of them and using them for other lifts as well; otherwise maybe just the 40 pound set. The only thing that might hold me back is the price.

I was looking into getting some chain before I moved and had to give up the squat rack for the time being. Anyway check this out:

I was going to get 30 feet and cut it into 2 five foot lengths and 2 ten feet lengths. The 5/8" chain weighs 4lbs per foot. So I would have 2 20lbs chains, and 2 40lbs chains. You could get a few feet of 3/8" leader chain and the connectors at Lowes.

I would compare the price on shipping which is where they fuck you, but just do a google search for “Tow Chain.”

Also, if you live in or near a descent sized city you need to check out the local hardware and tool stores. They have the good stuff, Lowes and Home Depot just carry the general, name brand stuff. If you can buy local, or even if you have to drive a few hours it would probably be worth it to save the price of shipping.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
I was looking into getting some chain before I moved and had to give up the squat rack for the time being. Anyway check this out:

I was going to get 30 feet and cut it into 2 five foot lengths and 2 ten feet lengths. The 5/8" chain weighs 4lbs per foot. So I would have 2 20lbs chains, and 2 40lbs chains. You could get a few feet of 3/8" leader chain and the connectors at Lowes.

I would compare the price on shipping which is where they fuck you, but just do a google search for “Tow Chain.”[/quote]
Sorry to shit on your idea, but the prices on that site are per foot. The chains IronWoody and EliteFTS sell are Grade 30 (i.e. non load bearing grade). The chains you linked to are Grade 100 (i.e. rated to lift heavy weight). Thirty feet of that chain would cost $420. Thirty feet of 5/8" chain from IronWoody would cost $180.

[quote]ChaseT wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:

I would compare the price on shipping which is where they fuck you, but just do a google search for “Tow Chain.”
Sorry to shit on your idea, but the prices on that site are per foot. The chains IronWoody and EliteFTS sell are Grade 30 (i.e. non load bearing grade). The chains you linked to are Grade 100 (i.e. rated to lift heavy weight). Thirty feet of that chain would cost $420. Thirty feet of 5/8" chain from IronWoody would cost $180.
[/quote]

Huh, didn’t notice that. That’ll save some loot.

Got mine from a local feed and tractor store. 50lbs for I think it was 48 bucks. You could have them cut to the length that suits you for squats and or bench presses.
Plus you don’t have the shipping charges.

[quote]Maximus50 wrote:
Got mine from a local feed and tractor store. 50lbs for I think it was 48 bucks. You could have them cut to the length that suits you for squats and or bench presses.
Plus you don’t have the shipping charges.[/quote]

Yeah. Everytime this thread comes up I tell people to find a local cable and rigging store, every town has one, and tell them you want proof coil.

Most of the time if they have odd lengths or bottom of the barrel around you can get it for pretty cheap. Also, if you know anybody who works in manufacturing or the sanitation industry, they use a lot of chain slings, etc. Ask them where they get their stuff.

Example, I have a friend who is a GM for a major Waste Hauler and he asked his rep on my behalf who brought him 6 5 foot lengths of 5/8" proof coil for nothing (actually it cost me a liter of Maker’s).

They were bottom of the barrel (odd length) pieces that basically had no resale for them so they cut them up and brought them over.

is there a good place to buy carbiners?

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Maximus50 wrote:
Plus you don’t have the shipping charges.

Yeah. Everytime this thread comes up I tell people to find a local cable and rigging store, every town has one, and tell them you want proof coil.

Most of the time if they have odd lengths or bottom of the barrel around you can get it for pretty cheap. Also, if you know anybody who works in manufacturing or the sanitation industry, they use a lot of chain slings, etc. Ask them where they get their stuff.

Example, I have a friend who is a GM for a major Waste Hauler and he asked his rep on my behalf who brought him 6 5 foot lengths of 5/8" proof coil for nothing (actually it cost me a liter of Maker’s).

They were bottom of the barrel (odd length) pieces that basically had no resale for them so they cut them up and brought them over. [/quote]

ditto that. also if you live on a coastline. marine shops usually have a pretty nice surplus of this stuff as well.